Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
mnanda
mnanda began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
How To Recover Jailbreak PW1 w/Screen Grab

Hello!

Here's my situation:
–I have a PW1.
–It was upgraded to 5.6.1.1 and I lost Jailbreak which I used for Kindle Collections (!!! So Crucial!!)
–I jailbroke at the end of 2014, and quite simply don't remember what the heck I did.
–I am a Mac user. I have access to a Windows laptop, but uhg, I'm all thumbs on it.
–**I'm attaching a screen grab of the folder contents of the Kindle, which includes some JB info.

Any advice much, much appreciated.

Thanks Mnanda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mnanda Jailbreak.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	147307  
mnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnanda View Post
Hello!

Here's my situation:
–I have a PW1.
–It was upgraded to 5.6.1.1 and I lost Jailbreak which I used for Kindle Collections (!!! So Crucial!!)
–I jailbroke at the end of 2014, and quite simply don't remember what the heck I did.
–I am a Mac user. I have access to a Windows laptop, but uhg, I'm all thumbs on it.
–**I'm attaching a screen grab of the folder contents of the Kindle, which includes some JB info.

Any advice much, much appreciated.

Thanks Mnanda
The PW-1 running 5.6.1.1 can be software downgraded.
There is a 'HowTo' thread here on that topic.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 AM   #3
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
For me it worked to use the hotfix to restore the Jailbreak: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597 after the upgrate to 5.6.1.1

Hanspeter
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
mnanda
mnanda began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Thank you both - Hanspeter, that's a better downgrade/hotfix post than the one I kept finding. However, I'd love to do recover JB without downgrading b/c of Kindle-ageddon!
Isn't the whole point that the device MUST be on 5.6.1.1 or above to function?

YES I've read the discussions and I'm aware that SO FAR the device would function and only certain features would be unavailable, such as impulse purchasing. But I've also seen posts with people positing that Amazon could do something drastic such as deregister unupgraded devices - and with such a heavy warning/communication effort in effect, it seems within the realm of possibility.

Much as it kills me, I think I might just suck up this upgrade for now and wait-n-see.
mnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It is now March 23rd in Amazon Land.
You shouldn't have to wait too long for reports of what works/doesn't work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 AM   #6
Hanspeter
Connoisseur
Hanspeter doesn't litterHanspeter doesn't litter

Device: Kindel PW1, Voyager
The hotfix I pointed you too just restores the jb without any downgrade. I'm still on 5.6.1.1 and everything works as expected.
The only requirement is that the jb you had before the upgrade to 5.6.1.1 was not to old for that way to work. You can give it a try, that only risk (as far as I know) is that the jb will not be restored.
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote