Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I was referring to onboard storage and screen resolution. They obviously want people to purchase the 8 inch for $299. The specs are slightly better than ipad mini for $30 less. But 16GB and only 188dpi.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Poor screen resolution will ruin a tablet before it even gets started and people realize that the CPU is faster.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
For me the dealbreaker is the aspect ratio. 4:3 or nothing.

Though I suspect Apple's lawyers have something to do with the lack of 4:3 Android tablets.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
Though I suspect Apple's lawyers have something to do with the lack of 4:3 Android tablets.
Right, because nobody used the 4:3 aspect ratio before, even assuming such a thing would be patentable. Not that apple wouldn't try, mind you.

Quick list of 4:3 tablets on Android, by no means exhaustive.

Archos Gen10 80 and 97 XS
Screen: 8" and 9.7" MVA @ 1024x768
Processor: OMAP4470 @ 1.5 GHz
RAM: 1GB
Storage: 16GB / Compatible up to 128GB with Micro SD
Notes: Comes with magnetic hard cover/keyboard.

Lenovo IdeaTab S2109
Screen: 9.7" IPS @ 1024x768
Processor: Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz
Storage: Up to 32GB
Notes: Micro HDMI, 4 Speakers with Dolby SRS TruMedia

Coby MID9742
Screen: 9.7" IPS @ 1024x768
Processor: Cortex-A8 @ 1GHz
Storage: 8GB / Expandable to 32GB with Micro SD
Notes: No access to Google Play

Eken A90
Screen: 9.7" @ 1024x768
Processor: All Winner A10 @ 1.0 GHz
Storage: Up to 16GB / Micro SD
Notes: Inexpensive Chinese tablet
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I was referring to onboard storage and screen resolution. They obviously want people to purchase the 8 inch for $299. The specs are slightly better than ipad mini for $30 less. But 16GB and only 188dpi.
For people with 20/20 vision or better, high resolution screens are a good thing. For the rest of us, anything much over 200 ppi is a waste and actually becomes a negative. Many apps don't take the screen resolution into account when laying out the screen and the fonts are hard to read and selection buttons are to small/close together to tap. High resolution screens also require more cpu and battery power.

I think the 188 ppi of the 8 inch jis ust about right for meand the rest of the specs suit me just fine. The 10.9 ounce weight will probably be enough to get me to buy it.

Regards - Jabby
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Interesting viewpoints.

I didn't mark down where I saw this but probably not hard to find if you want to.

The perception now is that a lot of people are realizing that the cheaper tablets are very capable of what most people usually need in a tablet.

So why spend big bucks on the fastest or the greatest?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Interesting viewpoints.

I didn't mark down where I saw this but probably not hard to find if you want to.

The perception now is that a lot of people are realizing that the cheaper tablets are very capable of what most people usually need in a tablet.

That's true, most people use tablets for web browsing, social media, email and movies, which pretty much all tablets can handle without issues - 720p playback is a walk in the park for today's processors. It is only when you go to high end games that you need some horsepower under the hood.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #23
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Interesting viewpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That's true, most people use tablets for web browsing, social media, email and movies, which pretty much all tablets can handle without issues - 720p playback is a walk in the park for today's processors. It is only when you go to high end games that you need some horsepower under the hood.
Very true, only the tech geeks get caught up in the specs. I really don't pay much attention to anything other than the space that is offered. So long as it has plenty of room to fit my ebooks/music or at least has a slot for extra memory, I don't really care about the rest. I watch my tv for movies and use my pc for web browsing.

My Samsung GMP5 & Nexus 7 do just fine for what I use them for which is basically reading & music, and on rare occasion a game or two.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Are there really gaming Tablets?

I just never thought of "virtual" triggers!

I mean, you can't let those Zombie Nazis get too close!!!!!!!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #25
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
For me the dealbreaker is the aspect ratio. 4:3 or nothing.

Ever heard of paranoia and/or being a conspiracy geek...

See little list above from afv011 for list answering anti-company attack...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
People are too obsessed with supposed SOC speeds and not the actual capability, the Tab 3 is a big upgrade to the Tab 2 in benchmarks it scores about double.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Very true, only the tech geeks get caught up in the specs.
This weekend, my wife decided she wanted an upgrade from her 1st gen Kindle Fire. She wanted, in her words "a better screen."

She saw a Best Buy add for a sale price on a Galaxy Tab 2 7" and asked for that. I urged her to go look at the things in person before deciding, especially if "a better screen" was her primary want.

We went to a Best Buy that had a variety of working tablets on display and she brought her Kindle for comparison. She played with the Tab 2, the Tab 3, the Nexus 7 and tried the stuff she was interested in on all of them

She chose the Tab 3 7" and loves it.

Go figure. I guess specs aren't everything.

(I should also note that with BB's price matching and a Samsung gift card promotion, the Tab 3 came out pretty darn cheap, so that was a factor, and also she is very happy with her Galaxy S III phone, so Samsung is in her good graces.)

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote