Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Mobi books problems on new iPad

I just got an iPad Mini, and am moving my .mobi books from Calibre over to the Kindle App on the iPad Mini. In the Kindle App the authors are sorted by firstname first.

On my actual Kindle, my .mobi books sort authors correctly, in the Calibre interface they sort correctly, and I've verified that the metadata specifies lastname, firstname in the Author Sort field on all the books. My Mobi Output specifies Use Author Sort for Author, and I removed the personal document tag (somewhere, I forget where), then bulk converted to .mobi again.

What can I do to correct the author sort? Any thoughts appreciated.

(edited to remove another problem I took care of)

Last edited by Michele; 12-11-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Seems like this is a problem with the Kindle app for iOS, and not the device per se.

Mine are sorted by first name on my iPhone, too. I don't see a way to change this unfortunately.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Seems like this is a problem with the Kindle app for iOS, and not the device per se.

Mine are sorted by first name on my iPhone, too. I don't see a way to change this unfortunately.
No, the Kindle app on my iPad 3 shows the authors sorted by last name. I never use calibre, just the Amazon cloud. So I'm thinking this is a calibre error.

EDIT: On closer examination the Books are sorting by lastname and the Docs are sorting by firstname. The Books are coming from the Cloud but the Docs are coming from various sources including the Cloud and side loading, but since the Docs are all modified it could be that the author names were incorrectly converted.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-11-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My books sort last name first on the Kindle App. My docs are Calibre books that sort properly on the Kindle Keyboard and in the Calibre interface, but sort first name first. Weird and annoying.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
My docs are Calibre books
You know, even this by itself is nonsense. I fail to understand why the Kindle app interprets legitimate MOBI files as "docs" rather than books.

The thing to realize is that the iOS Kindle app is not identical with the Kindle software on hardware Kindles, nor with the Kindle app on, say, Android. I keep finding small or big differences between how the Kindle software operates on the various platforms.

If this bugs you too much, you can always convert your MOBI books into EPUB books in Calibre (a matter of seconds), and then you have an array of options for reading EPUB books on the iPad, some of them clearly superior over the Kindle app.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Michele
Addict

My thinking is that they treat MOBI files as docs in an intentionally awkward manner, to encourage Kindle purchases. I'm relieved that I don't need to hunt down the solution to the author sorting anymore, though.

I want to have all my books on one software platform. It's hard enough to browse my unread books on both physical and virtual shelves.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
My thinking is that they treat MOBI files as docs in an intentionally awkward manner, to encourage Kindle purchases.
Bingo! Definitely... It's "the Amazon way".

Quote:
I want to have all my books on one software platform. It's hard enough to browse my unread books on both physical and virtual shelves.
Well, the trouble is, you only seemingly have them on one software platform if you use both hardware Kindles and Kindle on iOS. For example, there is no equivalent for the "My Clippings" file in Kindle for iOS, which is a big letdown for me. The Kindle app for iOS does not even support a simple copy-paste of highlighted passages, which I find mind-boggling. And, to return to "the Amazon way", Kindle won't synchronize your last-place-read, bookmarks, notes, etc. for any of your own ("free") books -- only for those purchased from Amazon. Given the lack of customization options in the iOS Kindle app, and so many stumbling blocks (some of them seemingly intentionally put into our way), I just said good-bye to Kindle on the iPad. I do prefer the hardware Kindles for daytime reading.

As to the unity you mentioned, for me that's Calibre rather than specific e-reader software. SugarSync keeps all my Calibre folders synchronized across all my computers and mobile devices, and then it's up to me to pick the software in which to read a particular book. From SugarSync/Calibre, you can easily open a book in 3 or 4 e-reader apps on the iPad, read a chapter in each of the apps, and compare the reading experience.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I haven't used the iTunes method, but the mobi books I send to the Kindle app on my mini (via email or Send to Kindle) are sorted last name first by author.

I have the mobi output setting in calibre set the same as you do, to get the sort correct for my Kindle, since it doesn't pull author_sort from the metadata. I think that setting is bypassed when I send to the mini via email or Send to Kindle (it's only triggered by conversion or sending to device), so you might have to untick that to get the sort right on your Kindle app using the iTunes method. Which would be a major pain if you are loading books on both a Kindle and an iPad.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Kindle won't synchronize your last-place-read, bookmarks, notes, etc. for any of your own ("free") books -- only for those purchased from Amazon.
I read on these forums that books emailed as documents do in fact synchronize last place read, which is why I took the time to do that.

There's no single good solution to any of this yet. I've gone through way too many kindles and tablets in recent months, trying to accommodate my changing eyes and their need for lighting. I only wish my physical books were as easy to hold as my virtual ones.