Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
foo
foo began at the beginning.

Device: None
SDK?

Questions for whom might answer it:

Will there be a SDK released? If so, under what license? Similarly, will the source code of the application stack be available? And will there be a method for executing third-party code (from the SD for example)?

In short, how friendly will Bookeen be to - open source - third party developers?

Last edited by foo; 10-23-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Formatting.
foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
Questions for whom might answer it:

Will there be a SDK released? If so, under what license? Similarly, will the source code of the application stack be available? And will there be a method for executing third-party code (from the SD for example)?

In short, how friendly will Bookeen be to - open source - third party developers?
That hasn't been finalized yet.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Will the policy in this regard be the same for NAEB and Bookeen?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Will the policy in this regard be the same for NAEB and Bookeen?
I presume so. As with pricing and other issues, we're still working things out.

Derek
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm curious as to the answer of this as well. It will probably determine if I am going to buy one or not...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I would say, get a Hanlin V3.. it has the SDK released
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
I would say, get a Hanlin V3.. it has the SDK released

SUUUUuuuuurrrrreeee... And *how* many stores carry the Hanlin proprietary ebook format???

Nope. The way to go is buy the Cybook and just enjoy reading.

Derek
Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Why focusing on the proprietary format while it supports so much more (and more to come). I would never bet my money on 1 format especialy not in this technology genre.
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoosten View Post
Why focusing on the proprietary format while it supports so much more (and more to come). I would never bet my money on 1 format especialy not in this technology genre.
Exactly! Which is why the Hanlin is not the first choice for NAEB. Mobipocket is available from numerous outlets, while Hanlin's isn't. I like the idea of their V9, the dual-screen and color concept devices, but those aren't available right this second. ;-)

Besides, while having the SDK *is* important for developers, it's not something an *average* customer is going to want or need.

Derek
Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Besides, while having the SDK *is* important for developers, it's not something an *average* customer is going to want or need.
I always want a system to be open so anybody can develop application and that is important even if I am not going to do it myself and that is because it increase the probability that you will get good applications and fast bug fixes.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
The SDK is one of the reasons I bought the iLiad. Not so much because I want to develop applications for it, but because with an SDK you can have a lively developer community, and new enhancements become available that the vendor might never have the time or resources to address.

But I need my device to do more than display books -- I use it in my graduate work, and I need annotation and other features. Otherwise I would have stuck with my eBw 1150.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
foo

Has things been finalized yet Derek?

I've also sent a e-mail to <contact@bookeen.com> with my questions.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
Has things been finalized yet Derek?

I've also sent a e-mail to <contact@bookeen.com> with my questions.
Not yet. Still waiting on *ONE* thing - an account number so we can accept order payments - should have that by Wednesday.

Derek
Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

The question was if a SDK will be released? That was the thing that in the beginning of the thread was claimed not to be finalized yet.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #15
foo

tompe is correct, I was referring to the release of a SDK. I'm living in Europe so I'll order from Bookeen, not NAEB.