Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
So, Iʻm reading this book...

(What the Dead Know, Laura Lippman) and I get to this part where the lady is sitting there reading Jane Eyre while she waits for someone. And she finishes it and it bummed that her other book is in the car, but sheʻs afraid that if she goes to get it, she wonʻt get back into the building.

*Gasp* Thatʻs one of my worst fears! First thing I thought of whilst reading this gripping tale? Yep! And *thatʻs* why I have an ereader! So I will never be in that terrifying situation!

From what terrifying situation has your ereader(s) kept you safe ?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
BOREDOM!!!

but seriously...
flying
doctors offices
in the hospital
eating out alone
standing in line
boring mandatory work classes/trainings
visiting my parents for half a month
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
It has kept me safe from being killed by falling, heavy, overloaded bookshelves filled with paper-books.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I am planning on reading Monica Conti's A Verdict of Love and I'm just glad no-one else can see the genre I'm reading... They might get ideas
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Moving boxes and boxes of heavy books - not to mention the bookcases they'd be stored in.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post

It has saved me from untold amounts of productive work.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
no, that'll be MR !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I didnʻt need any help with that, either.

<--working on the next phase of my major paper. itʻs one huge research project, and Iʻm on part 3 of 4. Due tomorrow, of course.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
It's saved me from tedious meetings first thing in the morning at work. Although it was a little embarrassing explaining I was late because I was so engrossed in my book I missed my stop by about 5 stations!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
no, that'll be MR !!!!
MR has definitely saved me from that, plus work related boredom. It has also saved me from causing untold amounts of damage to people and property by either providing a respite from annoying people, or by diverting my attention sufficiently that I don't notice them. The flip side is that my colleagues don't appreciate being the target of the aforementioned annoying people...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
having to talk on the phone to my mother in law. I have used the "crap I am having an error on my reader and need to fix it ASAP" when my husband tried to hand the phone over to me to talk to his mom
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:25 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It's saved me from tedious meetings first thing in the morning at work. Although it was a little embarrassing explaining I was late because I was so engrossed in my book I missed my stop by about 5 stations!
Once I got on the metro, started reading (I think it was Proust). At one point the metro stopped a bit longer in a station, and there was an announcement, but I barely raised my head. In fact that station was the terminus, where I was supposed to get off. I stayed on the train as it started again in the opposite direction, and got back to reality only a few stations from my starting point. I did this a couple of times last year.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I was having a brew in Pikes Place Market, watching a No'leans Zydeco band playing a number about life in the swamps and one armed gator guides. Typical Saturday night.

When a one legged pimp accuses me of stiffing his merchandise.

Despite my protestations of innocence, the swarthy merchant decides that we need to take it out into the alley. I oblige him, assuring myself that certainly I can convince him that he has the wrong john.

But he would not accept a rational answer! Before I knew it he produced a blade from under his coat and thrust the sharp business end into my abdomen. I was overcome with shock and crumpled to the rainslicked alley cobblestones. The pimp quickly departed out into the foggy street.

It was only then that I realized I was unharmed. My trusty PRS 700 stashed in my jaxket pocket had deflected my assassins blade! Quickly, but with trembling hands, I thumbed the on button and to my great relief found that, other than some cosmetic damage to the cover, my baby was unharmed.

So you see, my dear GraceKrispy, when you ask:
Quote:
I can only respond: The taking of my life!

Donn

P.S. The above is mostly true, in that I did, in fact, drink beer on Saturday night. The rest is kind of fuzzy. But I imagine the rest could have happened too.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
In some universe, it did happen, so yeah.

Mine has saved me from over weight fees on my luggage as I go on vacation.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
*snip....deleted the most harrowing and exciting story ever written*
P.S. The above is mostly true, in that I did, in fact, drink beer on Saturday night. The rest is kind of fuzzy. But I imagine the rest could have happened too.
But you left out the most important part-- what book were you reading? And what kind of beer did you drink? The rest is just frosting. Or head (as in "on a beer")

Have missed seeing you!