Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
sea_los
sea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 / Kindle on iPhone / Sony Reader PRS-505 / eReader on iPhone
Kindle convert... have a couple of quick questions

So after owning the Sony 505 for some time (and loving the experience), I wanted to try out the Kindle more for the integrated store than anything. Very slick and I'm sure I'll be buying a lot more books

First question, do most people leave their Kindle in standby or turn theirs off? If they use standby, what does that do to battery life?

Second question, I noticed that out of the box, my Kindle is at v2.0. I've left it on standby for the last couple of days and I'm still on v2.0. How long does it take to get the updates? Is there a way to force Kindle to search for the latest update? I know I can manually update it myself, but wanted to get the automatic update first and then eventually update manually in the future.

Thanks.
Sealos
sea_los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
When the Kindle is in sleep mode, it can index content. That uses a tiny amount of battery, but once the content is indexed, no further battery power should be used.

If your Kindle has Whispernet turned on, it will normally update itself once its "turn" has come. Amazon updates in batches, possibly based on serial number. There is a menu option for updating the Kindle, also, but it will not be active unless your Kindle is eligible. I believe that there are instructions on the Amazon web site for how to manually update the firmware.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The instructions on the Amazon website are for 2.0.2 only; however I have instructions on a post in this forum on how to upgrade to 2.0.3.

It's recommending for a vatiery of reasons, including battery life, to simply let the Kindle go to sleep by itself after 10 minutes, or putting it in sleep mode yourself. Turning it off and on completely every time you use it is not recommending.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I usually leave mine in sleep mode with the wireless off. It last for days that way. It takes a good deal longer to boot from being powered off than it does to wake up from sleep mode. I'm impatient.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
sea_los
sea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enoughsea_los will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 / Kindle on iPhone / Sony Reader PRS-505 / eReader on iPhone
Thank you all... appreciate the information.

I'll just wait until Amazon sends me the update. I don't think I'm missing much anyway.

Cheers,
Sealos
sea_los is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert