Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #1
geoelectric
geoelectric began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Couple of questions re: fit/finish

I just got my Kindle today, after having been on wait since 12/1.

I had a couple of questions regarding fit/finish.

1) My wireless switch protrudes about half as much as the power on/off switch. When wireless is off, it's actually almost flush with the casing because of the curves. To turn it back on, I have to hook a fingernail on the switch.

2) The left hand next page button seems somewhat crooked. The side closer to the bottom of the Kindle is noticeably raised a bit from the side on the top (not a lot, maybe .5mm or so, but it's raised). The rest of the buttons fit the contours of the device more closely.

Is this in line with others? If not, I may ask for an exchange (however long -that'll- take).

Given the wait and demand, I'd feel a little sheepish calling customer service with an RMA on these types of issues, but the wireless switch is a PITA because it makes it very fiddly to turn wireless on with the cover attached.
geoelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My left hand Next button protrudes a little. It was one of the first things I noticed. Both my on/off sliders are nearly flush with the case, maybe they project out 1mm. I have to use my fingernail to grab either slider to move it from the off position. I have to remove the Kindle from the case to move either slider but I have large hands for a woman.

HTH
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
My wireless switch is the same as yours--nearly flush with the back, whereas the off/on switch is raised above the surface a little. But my next page lever is a little raised at the upper edge. You don't notice it looking at it, but your fingertip can detect it.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
geoelectric

OK, cool. You know how it is--buy something for $400, you get -real- concerned about small things.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
geoelectric

Here are pictures of what I'm referring to with the Next Page button:

Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'm not a Kindle owner, so I don't know if this is how other Kindles were manufactured, but this clearly looks like poor quality control to me and even if other Kindles were like this, I would complain to customer service. If it had been an intentional design, I think the edges would have bee curved to prevent catching. This is just a bad fit.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
geoelectric

Oh, I agree fully.

My question as to whether it was consistent was more so I can make a decision as to whether returning is worth the hassle. If all of them are like this, an exchange is pointless.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My Kindle doesn't look like that.

First thing I would try would be to try to reseat the button. It looks like it's just slightly out of its notch. If you can't, then I would ask for a replacement.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
geoelectric

Nate: I did try pressing the high side down, using something under the device to cushion it a bit. I even tried gently twisting the button a little, thinking the same thing you did. It actually doesn't have any real give in any direction, so appears to be solid--just crooked.

I just got off the phone with customer service, after having the CSR take a look at the pictures. He's sending me out a new one in a cross-ship; the buttons are supposed to be fitted and shouldn't be crooked like that.

The CSR was only slightly hesitant, in that he didn't want to lead with the exchange until I asked for it (understandable, with demand), but once I probed further was entirely happy to do so.

This is one of the reasons I was willing to take the leap on this device, even with compatibility concerns and whatnot. Amazon's customer service is pretty terrific.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I received my Kindle on Friday, and the Next Page button on the left looks pretty similar to your pictures. It seems to work just fine, it doesn't hang up or anything. Have more people experienced this? I'm not sure if I should call and exchange it, or if it's just the way they they are assembled and won't cause problems down the road.

Anyone else with crooked buttons?
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

yep, mine looks similar to the pics in this thread, but i'm not concerned about it... until/unless it causes me a problem, i'm just trucking along with slightly wonky buttons. i always read my kindle in its cover anyway, so it's not much of a concern for catching on other things, etc, so i'm just taking it as a quirk of my new friend.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the answer! I guess that's how I feel, too. It is working just fine, and I know other people's have the same issue, so unless it starts causing problems, I'll just try not to worry about it.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Huh, I never noticed it until you mentioned it, but mine looks just like that too.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
stark23x
stark23x is on a distinguished road

Mine are not that prominent, but they are slightly crooked:

stark23x is offline   Reply With Quote