Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #61
vaeditor
vaeditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Sweet, SWEET, SWEET! Great job, Kobo! I love the new fonts and line-spacing and justification options. You've just made reading on the KT that much better! Delima might just replace Cambria as my all-time favorite typeface.

Keep it coming! :-)
vaeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #62
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Another thing is that comic books (CBR file type) can now be zoomed in and panned around.
Wow, that's great news! At this rate, most of my concerns will be resolved before my KT is delivered. If we can get dictionary/highlighting support for side loaded content I'll be a very happy man.

A big thank you to the tireless developers at Kobo.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #63
DizzC
Enthusiast
DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.DizzC is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Another thing is that comic books (CBR file type) can now be zoomed in and panned around.

I LOVE all these new features. With a Calibre fix so that margins work I will be happy until more improvements come

Thank you Kobo dev team for listening!!!
Oh wow I didn't even notice that. That's awesome! All but one of my wanted features is now included. The only thing now is highlighting/dictionary for sideloaded books.

It's really great to see the Kobo dev team so actively involved in communicating with it's customers. Thanks guys.
DizzC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #64
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
If we can get dictionary/highlighting support for side loaded content I'll be a very happy man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzC View Post
The only thing now is highlighting/dictionary for sideloaded books.
Snap!
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #65
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The fonts, line spacing, margins also adjust for html, txt and rtf files, depending on how hard coded the formatting is in the original file. This is a major leap forward from yesterday.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #66
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Broken Update

It's nice to see some of the changes underfoot, however, the breaking of basic styling in e-books (italics, etc.) makes this a broken update as far as I'm concerned.

It would be really nice if Kobo made available to download the koboroot file and update folder used for the updats. I know I'm in the minority here, but having to boot to Windows to fix my Linux device is insult to injury. Also, I'm sure even the Windows users would appreciate being able to restore a previous, liked firmware version when Kobo releases broken ones. (on that note, Desktop really needs to stop auto-updating the kobo without a by your leave, for the same reason).

Edit: I just wanted to add, once the few niggling bugs are resolved, the changes in this update unquestionably propel the Kobo to the best E-ink reader there is. (and the least expensive... ha!)

Last edited by rashkae; 06-28-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Adding PS:
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #67
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
Is there a link to a good place that has tons of fonts for download, like a repository?
you can just drag and drop them from your windows directory if that helps.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #68
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
broken update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's nice to see some of the changes underfoot, however, the breaking of basic styling in e-books (italics, etc.) makes this a broken update as far as I'm concerned.

It would be really nice if Kobo made available to download the koboroot file and update folder used for the updats. I know I'm in the minority here, but having to boot to Windows to fix my Linux device is insult to injury. Also, I'm sure even the Windows users would appreciate being able to restore a previous, liked firmware version when Kobo releases broken ones. (on that note, Desktop really needs to stop auto-updating the kobo without a by your leave, for the same reason).

This is a great update that is a huge step forward. I would definitly agree that you are in the minority in your view.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #69
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Jack -- I'm just guessing, but the limit of fonts is partly going to be determined by the length of the drop down box. For practical purposes, that's around a dozen. I can't imagine needing / wanting more, personally. A couple of text serif, a couple of text sans serif, maybe a funky font or two as well (like Comic Sans) ....

To be honest, the Kindle 3 has two and half fonts: a serif, a sans serif and a condensed variation. With Kobo shipping now with five (or is it seven?), that still leaves space for three or four custom ones. Cyrillic, anyone?
I cant see more then one extra and that extra being the one That the user is most comfortable using to read! So I agree with you SP. Limitless is nice but really all I need is the one that I like to read best wtih.

regards

jack
Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #70
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
There is only room for five additional fonts beyond the seven that are now included. They will be listed alphabetically below the standard Kobo fonts. You can put more than that on the drive, but only the first five will show up.

BTW, I'm also having problems with italic and bold font.
Hmm Im wondering if thats due to some fonts only having one file while i do notice some other fonts have 3 files for the bold, italic, and regular text... for me though I have yet to find a book I am currently reading that has been formated to display italic, then bold along with the regular font....

that said it really is just a guess on my part.

regards
jack
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #71
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
The kepubs seem to be fine, but the sideloaded books I've tried all seem to be affected.

AFAIK, I've got all the necessary font files loaded. Same problem with the standard fonts. . .

Last edited by SF&F Reader; 06-28-2011 at 11:36 PM.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #72
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
you can just drag and drop them from your windows directory if that helps.

regards

jack
While YES you can, do be aware that many of the Microsoft fonts ARE licensed. Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...butionFAQ.mspx for their take on usage.

(Yes... I am FULLY aware that a lot of people will do copy the fonts; I just want to share the legal info. I am also aware that there are other font sources, and that those who use non Microsoft O/S's can use those. So please.. NO attacks or flames).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #73
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Hmm Im wondering if thats due to some fonts only having one file while i do notice some other fonts have 3 files for the bold, italic, and regular text... for me though I have yet to find a book I am currently reading that has been formated to display italic, then bold along with the regular font....

that said it really is just a guess on my part.

regards
jack
Six of the eight books I purchased from the Sony store do not display italic or bold fonts regardless of the font type I choose. I am pretty sure that at least one of these books did not have this problem before the latest firmware release. On a positive note, none of the Kobo books that I have viewed so far do not have this problem.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #74
jackastor
Wizard

Hmmm I am having some interesting trouble with firmware 1.9.5 i think it was in 1.9.4 as well.. I noticed that books I have deleted are not being deleted from my reader or sd card. These are books that I have deleted with the the KT and I am curious as to why this is so. IF i use calibre they are gone for good, as well as manually delete. But not when i select the book then select delete. IT seems the KT is deleting temporarially out of the database but not From the sd card or the main memory and on a power cycle they are picked up again and processed..

Any suggestions?

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #75
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
On books that have not been run through Calibre in the way I normally do that, I see bold and italics just fine. I have not transferred any of my Calibre enhanced books onto my Touch yet as I am one of those folks who like to make sure that the Kobo driver changes on Calibre are stable and I was not yet convinced. Of course the fact that all my calibre books were on a full sized SD card in the past and now I have to use a different card comes into play, as well.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote