Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 AM   #16
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
If I was her I would go with Apple and Android as an app where you get the book as well as audio and video scenes from the movies embedded in them. As a marketer I think that would sell very well as a reader I would not like it but that the market now days.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #17
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If I was her I would go with Apple and Android ...

How can you say that???

It's:
"If I were her..."
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #18
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
How can you say that???

It's:
"If I were her..."
in lots of the books i read, the author keeps using was instead of were. i'm confused now
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
and created almost a whole new genre of intelligent writing and simply terrific story-telling
Huh? I have no problem with really, really liking the books, but a whole new genre? That's a bit much.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
from a post at the Lord of the Rings Online forums
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...506-Pottermore

It was said they believed PotterMORE stands for Potter Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Experience that the company who finished Lotro (Turbine) has been working on the game since 2009

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/06...t-mmo-project/

http://www.pottermore.com/
http://harrypotterforum.com/discussi.../pottermore/p1
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
in lots of the books i read, the author keeps using was instead of were. i'm confused now
"Were" is subjunctive; "was" is indicative. The reason one uses the subjunctive in situations such as this is to indicate that the situation indicated is not in fact true. ie, saying "if I were her" carries the implication "but I'm not".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Huh? I have no problem with really, really liking the books, but a whole new genre? That's a bit much.
I was going to agree, Diap, but then decided, only a small bit too much.

I well remember getting my lad the first, 'The Philosopher's Stone', after much pleading due to playground pressure (age 6/7, him not me), and doing a speed-read to make sure all was well within.

I concede there were (was?) other witchcraft/sorcery/ magic children's stuff before, naturally - it was the refreshingly "grown-up" approach that stood out for me, not a scintilla of talking down to "little people". It stretched him.
In fact, I suppose it struck me as an almost adult book that was fine for children - and his voracious attitude to reading dates almost exactly from that book.
[Strangely/fittingly enough, he is now reading Philosophy at University, but I don't think I can blame JKR for that !]
It just contrasted enormously from the usual pap that was fed to this age-group at the time.
And the amount of Lego warriors, games, gadgets & yo-yo's etc.. that were abandoned at that school in favour of reading - not just Potter, but the whole reading thing - would have filled a skip.

And yes, I confess to really, really liking them !

However, never one to over-egg, how about we substitute "class" ? (Type not quality.)
Although, as we know, certain of the "right-thinking" would have burnt the lot given half a chance..............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #23
newlaza
Enthusiast
newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.newlaza is the One.

Device: Secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
from a post at the Lord of the Rings Online forums
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...506-Pottermore

It was said they believed PotterMORE stands for Potter Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Experience that the company who finished Lotro (Turbine) has been working on the game since 2009

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/06...t-mmo-project/

http://www.pottermore.com/
http://harrypotterforum.com/discussi.../pottermore/p1
Pah! I'll wait for a Game of Thrones or Bas-Lag MMO.
newlaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I would guess that whatever announcement is made (ebook, game, website, etc.) will be obviously tied in with the release of the last installment of HP movies - to continue the HP experience, to relive the HP experience, whatever. Once all the movies are out in all formats, and all the books published in every physical format imaginable, new sources of revenue streams will be established.

I've often wondered if a Weasley spin-off was possible - it's such a large family - lots of characters & adventures possible.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Were" is subjunctive; "was" is indicative. The reason one uses the subjunctive in situations such as this is to indicate that the situation indicated is not in fact true. ie, saying "if I were her" carries the implication "but I'm not".
thanks!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Wish I'd had it that clearly explained when I was a liitle younger .......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #27
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
While she waits to make up her mind about ebooks, I managed to - ahm - 'backup' my Potter collection with excellent ebook versions from:

(link deleted by moderator)

That's what happens when you play precious... I am sure plenty of people would have gladly paid for an ebook version - I know I would have.
Why would you post a link for this on this site ?
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #28
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Why would you post a link for this on this site ?
Frankly, because I think it is utterly nonsense for an author to not allow ebook versions of their work to be distributed.

Don't get me wrong, I am not for piracy. I have published a book myself - well, an academic textbook - and I contribute regularly to the WSJ and FT and occasionally to other finance-related outlets. I also used to play music much more seriously than I do nowadays. My first job was in a technology-patenting office. I know you probably do not care about my background - but what I mean is: I do understand the need for strong copyright legislation and enforcement.

But authors who refuse to allow for the LEGAL distribution of their work are part of the problem, not of the solution.

By the way, despite my being upset and despite my lighthearted approach to the issue (my joking about 'backing up my collecting'), after downloading the books from that site on my reader, I actually bought the paper copies. They sit on my bookshelf, unopened. I did it because I personally feel copyright violation is wrong and because, fortunately, I am in an economic position to not care.

I do not regret posting that link. People who own the paper version have the right to enjoy those books on an ereader. And authors like her should be forced by the market to allow electronic distribution.

Anyhow... you asked.

I do understand why a moderator would block the link - that's his job, after all. But why does he, or you, take it personally, is beyond me. I think we need to send a clear message to authors - do NOT stand against progress and consider yourself blessed that we want to read - and, of course, pay for - your work. We, in turn, shall be grateful that you keep writing.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #29
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's right, subjunctive expresses a hypothetical situation. Unfortunately seems to be rapidly dying out here in Oz.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Frankly, because I think it is utterly nonsense for an author to not allow ebook versions of their work to be distributed.
Bolding by me. Think about it. I hate Harry Potter, but I respect any author's right to negotiate whatever contracts and distribution rights that work best for their own personal needs/wants/whims... nonsensical or otherwise. I don't even care that you've downloaded illegal copies of her work. It's the implication that you should have any say whatsoever in how an author handles their own business that disgusts me. Mind your own.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-19-2011 at 07:55 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote