Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What Gadgets do you plan on Buying this Holiday Season?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Kobo Arc, Nexus 7, Nook Tab, etc) 47 28.83%
Non-LCD eReader (Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Sony, etc) 33 20.25%
Smartphone (Android, iPhone, Windows, etc) 19 11.66%
Media Player (Galaxy Player, iPod touch, etc) 7 4.29%
MP3 Player (Cowon, iPod nano, Sansa Clip, Sony etc) 6 3.68%
Computer (desktop, laptop, netbook, ultrabook, etc) 24 14.72%
Other (please specify) 10 6.13%
No new gadgets for me this holiday season 60 36.81%
Not interested in this thread, but love to vote in polls 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #16
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I think I'm going to wait for next year's improved front-lit e-ink screens. That's a brand-new tech, after all. Version 2.0 is bound to be better. I am very tempted by the iPhone 5, and I'm eligible... not sure, though.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I picked none. All of the items in the poll I've bought new in the last 18 months or so and shouldn't need to upgrade for a long while.

My next electronics purchase (for myself) will be either a camera or another lens, but it won't be this year.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I will have to see if I can sneak something past my wife....
husband

Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight, IF I can test it in a shop first.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I ordered a couple of iPads last week, does Halloween count as a holiday? I'm currently updating our Macs and iThings to Mountain Lion and iOS 6, so it's the right time to add a couple of tablets to the mix.

I don't buy electronics at Christmas.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I got myself a 4gen iPod Touch recently, got a good deal on a second hand one as people who have bought the iPod 5th gen or the new iPhone are selling. I've never had an iPod before and I'm very happy with it - it's very light and makes it easy to carry all of my music and podcasts around with me.

Although I got it for a good price, that's all the money I'm allowed to spend for the time being
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I don't buy electronics at Christmas.
Black Friday tends to have the lowest prices and deals. That's when I usually pull the trigger.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
like Sakura-panda, no new gadgets for/from me either. currently saving towards a new digital camera.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #23
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I chose "other" - I plan to use my Christmas bonus to buy a true macro lens for my DSLR. I believe that qualifies as a gadget of sorts, as it's a digital component complete with its own firmware.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I don't think we need anything. My daughter wants a Nintendo DSI XL for Christmas, but I haven't decided whether she'll get that, and it isn't on the list anyway. We are set for e-readers and tablets and phones though.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I will probably buy another Sansa Clip Zip.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I chose "other" - I plan to use my Christmas bonus to buy a true macro lens for my DSLR. I believe that qualifies as a gadget of sorts, as it's a digital component complete with its own firmware.
Yep; it's in the 'other' category. Since we're a reading forum, I only listed devices that can be used for ebooks and/or audiobooks.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I don't think we need anything. My daughter wants a Nintendo DSI XL for Christmas, but I haven't decided whether she'll get that, and it isn't on the list anyway. We are set for e-readers and tablets and phones though.
Have you considered an iPod touch or Galaxy Player? There are tons of free and low cost games for these devices. Feeding handheld gaming devices is very expensive by comparison.

Not trying to talk you out of it. Just giving you something else to consider. I suggested the iPod touch to a few friends who were considering Nintendos for their kids. They went with the iPods and are glad they did; considering its versatility and low cost appetite.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Not Planning on buying anything BUT IF a Kindle goes on sale wont say IF I have the money I wont grab it LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I will probably buy another Sansa Clip Zip.
It's my favorite "reading" device. I always have it with me in my pocket. In the words of that AmEx commercial - "don't leave home without it"

Spoiler:
Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am for sure getting an iPhone. And debating between a Kobo Glo or iPad mini. I have a full iPad I use at work and would like something small and light to read with at home to replace my Kindle Touch.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote