Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur
KlausRegenbrecht began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Calibre 09.2 crashes

When i work with Calibre it periodical crashes.
The Debug.txt attachet

The older version from August 2012 where working fine. When i come back from my holidays i started with the new update. There was a lot of updates between August and October i skiped.

What can i do?

Klaus
Attached Files
File Type: txt tmp3sjqvy.txt (1.2 KB, 257 views)
KlausRegenbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1016881
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you for the quick answer, i tested a lot of the proposals and at least:
I downgraded Calibre to 8.55. After a restart a book was missing. That one was a simple .txt with notes, and i changed the .txt of the file with notepad!.
Now i changed the .txt book to an epub, and imported it, calibre was running for several minutes in a first test without any crash. Normally i change books with Sigil!
May be, that "broken .txt book" was the reason?

Klaus
Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont see how a .txt file would cause the problem, but it cant hurt to try. Upgrade again, and see if the crashes go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
I dont see how a .txt file would cause the problem, but it cant hurt to try. Upgrade again, and see if the crashes go away.
Thank you for your very quickly replay.
I updated back to 0.9.2 and had a try for several minutes, i only click on Metadata and OK or cancel. Than a new book and preview and so on. Just doing this, the crashes occurs. Now, with the "new" epub (without that .txt file) with own notes Calibre was working fine!

Thank you again

Klaus

Edit: now i run the new Calibre with the *.txt file, and nothing happend!
After downgrading and update 0.9.2 everything works fine! (Till now!)

Klaus

Last edited by KlausRegenbrecht; 10-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
I installed Python some days ago, may be that's the reason for the problems, solved now?

Klaus
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Import seems to be the reason

Quote:
Now Calibre crashes again, but only if i click on a new epub file and afterwards calibre imports the epub. I click on Metadata, load down Medata, klick on OK and Calibre crashes!

I made my tests yestarday without importing books!

Klaus

Last edited by KlausRegenbrecht; 10-12-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Version 0.8.55 works fine - 0.9.2 crashes from time to time

Quote:
Upgrade again, and see if the crashes go away.
I tested 0.8.55 on Windows XP sp3, and everything is working fine.

Now, i upgraded back to 0.9.2 and i can work with calibre but from time to time: as soon as you click the button "edit metadata" calibre just disappears.

This problem started end of August (i don't know the calibre-version/but i update every time). We was staying in holiday till october, and with the 0.9.2 installed comming back, the problems still was present.
Klaus
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausRegenbrecht View Post
This problem started end of August (i don't know the calibre-version/but i update every time). We was staying in holiday till october, and with the 0.9.2 installed comming back, the problems still was present.
You think it started the end of August, but by Kovid's link he thinks it may be a conflict on your system with a change that was introduced June 15 in version 0.8.56. You might want to slowly upgrade one version at a time to see where this conflict first arises on your system.

Other than the slow upgrade path, in calibre 0.9.2 have you tried going to Preferences - Look and Feel and changing User interface style to System default as Kovid indicated in the link in post 2? It may not help but worth the attempt.

If you discover that the mysterious crashes do occur after version 0.8.55 then you are afflicted by a random conflict that has hit some folks. You all must have something common installed or configured, but as yet Kovid hasn't been able to reproduce the error.

I wonder if booting to safe mode removes the problem in version 0.9.2?

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I tested 0.8.55 on Windows XP sp3, and everything is working fine.

Now, i upgraded back to 0.9.2 and i can work with calibre but from time to time: as soon as you click the button "edit metadata" calibre just disappears.

Klaus
Do you have Python26 installed on your system? (check your PATH variable)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you have Python26 installed on your system? (check your PATH variable)
Thank you for the answer, i only have the following python path:
C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;

But there are some Python26 dll (Openoffice and gnubg)

Klaus
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thank you for the answer, i only have the following python path:
C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;

But there are some Python26 dll (Openoffice and gnubg)

Klaus
(Push) those after Calibre and see what happens.
no clue about the python26.dll ( I have Libre Office installed)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Other than the slow upgrade path, in calibre 0.9.2 have you tried going to Preferences - Look and Feel and changing User interface style to System default as Kovid indicated in the link in post 2? It may not help but worth the attempt.
Good Luck.
Yes i give everything a try i found in the link, my calibre is running in default mode, so i changed to calibre style and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If you discover that the mysterious crashes do occur after version 0.8.55 then you are afflicted by a random conflict that has hit some folks. You all must have something common installed or configured, but as yet Kovid hasn't been able to reproduce the error.

I wonder if booting to safe mode removes the problem in version 0.9.2?

Good Luck.
I prefer to wait whats comming up, but if it will be helpfull i can try out the "slow update"

Klaus
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thats seems to be a glorious idee, i changed the path already an after a new start i will update calibre!
I will report.
Klaus
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
KlausRegenbrecht
Connoisseur

Quote:
It seems to work, I pushed the python path to the end of the path-variable (behind calibre), after a restart I installed calibre 0.9.2. After several clicks on the buttom "edit Metadada" and "Ok" calibre is still running!

Now for a coffee break, and thanks a lot!

The only change to the system since August was installing Python 2.7!

Klaus