Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #46
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
Can we just summarize it then that the purpose of libraries is to promote Literacy, in all its forms.
Publically funded like schools. After all, who can argue with Literacy? It ranks right up there with Motherhood and Apple Pie!
I would disagree with that.

Some of the original Carnegie libraries included extensive recreational facilities, including billiard tables, swimming pools, and music halls.

And I think it's only been since the 70's that libraries started actually "promoting" literacy by offering literacy classes; prior to that, they existed to provide information to people who were already literate.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #47
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Konrath and Crouch talk libraries, too:
http://jakonrath.blogspot.ca/2012/08...libraries.html

Heh!
He wishes.
There are 122,000 libraries in the US. At $3.99 per title, that is just short of half a million per title.

A pretty good deal for most any writer not named Rowling or King.

As I said, the libraries need to reconsider their book acquistion processes.
Are there really 122,000 actual libraries in the United States? I can't see it
as there are approximately 30,000 towns, villages and cities. Included in this number are incorporated suburbs of other cities, bouroughs, counties etc. some of whom may share the same ebook lending system or not have one at all. 122,000 branches seems more likely.

In Canada with about 1/10th the population we have AFAIK 14 ebook lending systems.
This would equate to about $56 per book.

Quote:
3. The library only needs to buy one ebook of a title, and then they can make as many copies as they need for all of their patrons and all of their branches.
Assuming the same type of systems are active in the United States and that there are 140 ebook lending sytems in place than that is approximately $560 per book. Going all out and assuming a highly unlikely 1,400 individual ebook lending systems (70 per state with many states having less than 2) will still only nets $5600 per title.

I applaud their sentiments (Konrath and Crouch) as clearly massive profits are not the motif. But I will have to see it to beleive it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #48
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
In Canada with about 1/10th the population we have AFAIK 14 ebook lending systems.
How did you come up with this number? Off the top of my head I know of 5 different public library systems which offer ebooks in Alberta alone (there are probably more). Do all the other provinces only have one provincial system? I was under the impression that the major cities at least had their own.

Last edited by Synamon; 08-31-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #49
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Are there really 122,000 actual libraries in the United States?
Yes, although I'll bet more than half are in and for elementary schools. See:

Number of Libraries in the US

As I interpret the link above, there are about 17,000 public libraries in the US, including branches.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #50
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A pretty good deal for most any writer not named Rowling or King.
For a non-best-seller, depending on how you interpret it, the deal for the library may also be unattractive.

When an eBook is purchased via Overdrive, in some states (Maryland, Delaware), everyone in the state can borrow that book. In New Jersey, there are a few regional consortiums, including one for the southern half of the state.

Now, in my state, Overdrive collections are generally county-wide*. There are 23 libraries in my county's Overdrive system. That's actual libraries -- some of those 23 libraries have up to half a dozen branches, as does ours.

It's true that only one person at a time can borrow that Overdrive book, but with non-best-sellers, that's often enough for a county, or a smaller state-wide system like Delaware's. But I don't think that $3.99 is intended to be the fee for an entire state.

I did see that they bravely said they would charge $3.99 to the Harris County Library System, so the idea is not to charge separately for each branch. But even $3.99 for every separately administered library may be a lot of money compared to buying three or four Overdrive copies of a serious non-fiction book, and thereby cover a state like Maryland.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 08-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #51
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
How did you come up with this number? Off the top of my head I know of 5 different public library systems which offer ebooks in Alberta alone (there are probably more). Do all the other provinces only have one provincial system? I was under the impression that the major cities at least had their own.
I came by that number through an article in the Yukon News when the Yukon library bought 150 ebooks and brought them online. They said they were the twelfth. Obviously dated and/or inaccurate information and I apologise. I did look up a number of City libraries in Canada before posting but obviously not enough. I could only find two in Alberta with their own individual catalogues so I am possibly out by a factor of three or greater.

Even so I don't see the great sales potential of short of half a million a title, although obviously I have been wrong before.

Sorry for the wrong/misleading information even if it was AFAIK.

Helen
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #52
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Yes, although I'll bet more than half are in and for elementary schools. See:

Number of Libraries in the US

As I interpret the link above, there are about 17,000 public libraries in the US, including branches.
Well thanks for the link. I am actually bizarrely interested in that kind of thing. I assumed a much higher number of public libraries.

Helen