Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This thread got me thinking about the graphical effects issue and I realize there may be a way to fix it on windows (and maybe even OS X, though I'm less sure about that). It would work by using a custom Qt style, probably a modification of QtCurve. This requires not too much work (basically customizing QtCurve and getting it to compile on windows/os x). After which it is just a drop in replacement for the current Qt style.

The downside is that calibre would no longer have a "native look and feel" (i.e things like progress bars, dialogs, buttons etc. wont look like those from other windows programs). I dont know if that is worth it, opinions?

This would also allow for greater customization of the the calibre UI via a CSS like stylesheet, which could of course be "skinned".

For an example of the kinds of things would be possible, the current SONY software uses Qt with a custom style+stylesheet.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #47
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The downside is that calibre would no longer have a "native look and feel" (i.e things like progress bars, dialogs, buttons etc. wont look like those from other windows programs). I dont know if that is worth it, opinions?
I like its current state but it sounds interesting enough that we should give it a try. We'll eventually end up with a repository of themes folks can try.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #48
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
This thread got me thinking about the graphical effects issue and I realize there may be a way to fix it on windows (and maybe even OS X, though I'm less sure about that). It would work by using a custom Qt style, probably a modification of QtCurve. This requires not too much work (basically customizing QtCurve and getting it to compile on windows/os x). After which it is just a drop in replacement for the current Qt style.
This would also allow for greater customization of the the calibre UI via a CSS like stylesheet, which could of course be "skinned".
For an example of the kinds of things would be possible, the current SONY software uses Qt with a custom style+stylesheet.
It wouldn't hurt to make it easy for custom styles to be used. It would be preferable to have the current style be the default for now and allow the user to change it via a theme chooser in preferences.

Currently calibre doesn't look OS X native but it's much closer than a style for Windows. Once platform specific themes are developed then they can be set as the default for specific platforms when detected.

Honestly I'm not convinced "themes" are a worthwhile time investment...
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah if I do implement this, it will be optional.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #50
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Custom icons are already a feature.

To date I have only added one custom icon. It is a trash icon that jackie_w was kind enough to share. There are a few folks that have replaced all of their icons based on whatever theme their desktop used.
Thanks for the link to that. I guess what I was suggesting was something a bit more comprehensive. (Think WinRAR icon files.) Or, in the case of a full skin, a lot more comprehensive. But I agree, the icons are, minimally, covered.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah if I do implement this, it will be optional.
Certainly, this should be optional. The current defaults do work, and I can manually change my icons (thanks, dwanthny, for the pointer.)
Old 09-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #52
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
This thread got me thinking about the graphical effects issue and I realize there may be a way to fix it on windows
This issue flies entirely under my radar. I wouldn't even be aware that there is a "graphical effects issue" on Windows if not for your comments. It's a case of not knowing what I'm missing, so there's no way to judge if the effort to fix it is worthwhile. I do run linux on a machine, but only an older Debian on a server (where it's case of "it ain't broke") so I've never seen Calibre on anything except Windows.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #53
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm for the ability to change visuals, just as fluff. But as I said earlier, the availability or lack thereof of such a feature will never effect my use of calibre. Calibre is just too integrated into my reading experience that I can't imagine anything displacing it, ever.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #54
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Me too. I enjoy reading them though, as it gives me a greater perspective on just how much I have come to completely rely on Calibre.
I think it's time to mosey on over to the Donate page again...
Yup. Thanks for the reminder. If I'm going to suggest changes, it's time to put my money where my mouth is.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #55
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
There is are a host of small functionality fixes/upgrades that I would prefer to see before dithering with the mere aesthetics of the user interface. Frankly, I don't understand the noise: I think it looks great. People losing their minds over the colors of an icon? Really?

The only "aesthetic" complaint that I have is actually not aesthetic so much as it is functional: I wish the dropdown menus on the toolbar icons didn't require me to hover my mouse over such a narrow mini-button. Better yet than making it bigger would be accessing it through mouse gesture of some sort (right-clicking, or holding down the left-button).

But, as I said at the outset, even this "fix" is very low priority relative to some more fundamental functionality tweaks that I'd love to see.

In conclusion, ladles and jellyspoons, I love this product -- it beats the pants off everything else and it pains me to think that Kovid and his affiliated programmers would waste their precious time debating the appropriate color for the binocular lenses in the search icon.

Last edited by ElMiko; 09-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
The only "aesthetic" complaint that I have is actually not aesthetic so much as it is functional: I wish the dropdown menus on the toolbar icons didn't require me to hover my mouse over such a narrow mini-button. Better yet than making it bigger would be accessing it through mouse gesture of some sort (right-clicking, or holding down the left-button).
One alternative is to use click and hold instead of requiring the clicking of the arrow. Would that be more usable for you?

EDIT: Never mind, changing to click and hold is liable toconfuse people as it means the arrow will no longer be clickable, so I guess I'll just add the right click.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-23-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #57
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
One alternative is to use click and hold instead of requiring the clicking of the arrow. Would that be more usable for you?

EDIT: Never mind, changing to click and hold is liable toconfuse people as it means the arrow will no longer be clickable, so I guess I'll just add the right click.
Right click is a good choice, at least for Windows users. It's what you expect to do to have more choices.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:24 AM   #58
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
For me Calibre does the job it's intended for. It converts ebook formats.
My concern with all these extras is there a risk it could start to bloat?

One visual element I'd like to see is a preview of what effects font sizing etc would have on a document would have. Having played with recipes I understand a little of how calibre does it's job - so my request won't happen.

So i'm happy as is.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #59
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I actually LIKE the way Calibre looks - it is functional and easy to use. Please don't do a "Microsoft" and have lots of fancy bits at the expense of functionality. About the only other program that does this is that old totally useful text editor called NoteTab, another of my favorite programs.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #60
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Custom icons are already a feature.

To date I have only added one custom icon. It is a trash icon that jackie_w was kind enough to share. There are a few folks that have replaced all of their icons based on whatever theme their desktop used.
That's a very cool icon. I replaced the original with this one and it worked perfectly until I updated to 0.8.20. The original icon came back.

I guess I should have set the new icon as read-only?
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, design, interface