Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #16
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
How about this one :

" I'm looking for credible ways to exploit the paradigm shift enabled by electronic paper products to be a founder and/or early employee in the next Google sized success story. "

Seriously, there are lots of assumptions about things that can be re-examined and need some serious vetting before going off hat in hand to the likes of Kleiner Perkins, Caufield, Byers.

For example, is there a market for an identity card device such that one side is e-paper and the other is one or more biometric sensors so that I can scan my index finger across the reader and have my driver's license appear on the other side. Difficult to forge, useless to crooks, could hold all of the cards in my wallet perhaps. But to develop it there are three key questions:
1) What is the cost of the gear per-unit and lifetime expectency?
2) Are there any existing future-tech ID systems programs being sponsored by any federal agencies (always nice to get some tax payer dollars back)
3) What are the three key players that would have to 'buy in' to such a scheme to make it fundable?

I'd love a section on developer's kits (like the E-Ink one) and using existing products (like Jtag's disection of the Iliad) to develop E-paper applications.

We could benefit from hosting a small section on cross-compiling with step by step how to guides.

--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think those are spider monkeys in that avatar.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:21 AM   #18
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think those are spider monkeys in that avatar.
They are albino pygmy marmoset twins. I have two twin girls who were born on 10/3/07, and are frequently referred to as monkeys or lizards. It is their strange feeding schedule that has made it possible for me to check the forums about 6 times a day (during any non-parallel feeding)
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Wow, I had no idea there were any primates who were so small, even at birth.

Another use case: "I want to meet other people and learn interesting things I would never have thought to investigate otherwise." But I suppose that's a use case for the forums, not the wiki.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #20
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapezzuto View Post
They are albino pygmy marmoset twins. I have two twin girls who were born on 10/3/07, and are frequently referred to as monkeys or lizards. It is their strange feeding schedule that has made it possible for me to check the forums about 6 times a day (during any non-parallel feeding)
Wow but those things are cute.

Back to topic.
I do find the advice on devices useful and thats what I came for but now I have my device and that side of things interests me less. I am now more interested in books, recommendations and where to find and so on. Just communicating with others that like reading is most pleasant.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
They are albino pygmy marmoset twins.

That brings your sig line into sharp focus.

Are you located in South America then?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #22
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

No, it was an interesting genetic cloning experiment though (I am in the middle of the US, almost literally, in Indianapolis Indiana). They were mono-amniotic (they were in the same sack) which provides extra risks of cord accidents. Because of this, they were on continuous monitoring from the moment that they had more than a 50% chance of survival outside the womb(27 weeks). Because of this strange situation they gained some level of involuntary control in our lives much sooner than cute little mutants normally do. I will have to put up a page on my web space, documenting this mess, and with a few pics... we have 3-4 pics of the cord when they were delivered... they are braided together, and there are 2 true knots... its amazing they did so well.

Last edited by aapezzuto; 10-25-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I have always felt that english needed a sarcasm mark... That would help prevent a sarchasm while reading, or messaging online.
Sarcasm does not need any symbol to represent it. It would be a pleonasm in the fact that sacasm is used to point out an inadequacy of subtlety in the recipient. It is always a test do be done with care to a recipient's levels of understanding, unless evaluating a public. Failure of one to recognize a sarcasm affirms the inadequacy test, but one who finds humo(u)r in it is rewarded with parity. If the tester wants peace it is worthless to use a sarcasm unless its level is low... very low.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #24
aapezzuto
Zealot

signature update, and the rest of my previous post has been taken to where I meant to post it here (and edited to remove my mistake)

wow thats subtle... "the twins" has a hyperlink... ill go edit my signature to make it more obvious.

Last edited by aapezzuto; 10-25-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Sarcasm does not need any symbol to represent it. It would be a pleonasm in the fact that sacasm is used to point out an inadequacy of subtlety in the recipient. It is always a test do be done with care to a recipient's levels of understanding, unless evaluating a public. Failure of one to recognize a sarcasm affirms the inadequacy test, but one who finds humo(u)r in it is rewarded with parity. If the tester wants peace it is worthless to use a sarcasm unless its level is low... very low.
See Suzette Haden Elgin's The Language Imperative for an interesting discussion on the lack of intonation and other marks of intent in written English, and the effect of these lacks on its "deniability".

</sidetrack>
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #26
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
signature update, and the rest of my previous post has been taken to where I meant to post it here (and edited to remove my mistake)

wow thats subtle... "the twins" has a hyperlink... ill go edit my signature to make it more obvious.
Hey, aapezzuto! I wasn't giving you flack, I was just reflecting on the use of sarcasm as a tool. Some people feel it is a cruel one and I do too, I rarely use it; unless I want to politely insult someone who deserves it. Relax it's not your case. As neko points out, it is a real challenge to bring up what you really mean when you choose to write as a way of expression. Your suggesting a sarcasm symbol only shows that you are graphic in your natural expression and a pretty good artist at that. You've shown it with the logo attempts. Speaking of which, I hope you didn't abandon your search for one.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote