Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
hereticorp
hereticorp began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Adding Books and Sort Order

I'm having some difficulty with Calibre.

I'm running version 0.7.19 on Windows XP SP3.

The first issue I'm having is importing existing files into Calibre.

Most of my books are organized thus:
Author Last Name, Author First Name - Series and Number - Title
Cook, Dawn - Truth 01 - First Truth

The rest of the books are:
Author Last Name, Author First Name - Title
Bear, Elizabeth - Undertow

I need a way for Calibre to add books from both formats without my having to mess with the add books metadata pattern every time I switch between formats.

Also, when I add the books without the series in the filename (Because I haven't figured out the RegEX for adding Series to the input filter) the sort is wacky. It seems to sort some of the files but others just end up in random places in the list.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

Any help with either problem would be greatly appreciated, I'm a RegEx noob and I'm very confused.

EDITED TO ADD: I got the filter working for series, but the "Test" button is completely non functional in the preferences for Add Books, the pattern works in practice but not when pasting the filename into the Test box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	58582  

Last edited by hereticorp; 09-21-2010 at 04:34 PM.
hereticorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticorp View Post
Any help with either problem would be greatly appreciated, I'm a RegEx noob and I'm very confused.

EDITED TO ADD: I got the filter working for series, but the "Test" button is completely non functional in the preferences for Add Books, the pattern works in practice but not when pasting the filename into the Test box.
Try this thread, it's meant to be an easy to understand introduction to regular expressions.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
megachirops
Enthusiast
megachirops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Quote:
I'm having some difficulty with Calibre.

I'm running version 0.7.19 on Windows XP SP3.

The first issue I'm having is importing existing files into Calibre.

Most of my books are organized thus:
Author Last Name, Author First Name - Series and Number - Title
Cook, Dawn - Truth 01 - First Truth

The rest of the books are:
Author Last Name, Author First Name - Title
Bear, Elizabeth - Undertow

I need a way for Calibre to add books from both formats without my having to mess with the add books metadata pattern every time I switch between formats.
This should work for "last, first - title" and "last, first - series NN - title". It's mainly derived from this thread, plus some research into regular expressions.
Code:
(?P<author>((?!\s-\s).)+)\s-\s(?:(?P<series>.+)\s(?P<series_index>\d+)\s-\s)?(?P<title>.+)
Quote:
Also, when I add the books without the series in the filename (Because I haven't figured out the RegEX for adding Series to the input filter) the sort is wacky. It seems to sort some of the files but others just end up in random places in the list.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

In the left hand side of the Calibre screen, right-click on authors and select manage authors. See what the author_sort field is for each of your authors.

Quote:
Make sure you add an extension to your test string:

Bear, Elizabeth - Undertow.epub (for example)

(non-intuitive, but required )
megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
For the test, make sure that the filename also has an extension (.epub|.pdf|.prc etc.)
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote