Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Chris Robinson
Chris Robinson began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook 1
Hi from Brisbane, Australia

Hi all, e-book readers still seem to nouveau fringe here in Australia. I've finally got a 2nd hand Bebook 1 on the way (from the US) and even that is likely to turn a few heads on buses and trains.

General circulation libraries in Australia don't seem to have caught on to e-books yet but I live in hope.

I'm looking forward to getting my e-books off the computer and onto the Bebook. One of my hobbies is microscopy and I have lots of old texts to read but many of them are PDF format. I'm not sure the Bebook is going to handle them very gracefully...

Chris.
Chris Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Chris and welcome to MobileRead. Be sure and let us know when you get your Bebook and how you like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Welcome, Chris

Did you know that Brisbane library does have a selection of ebooks? http://brisyprl.lib.overdrive.com/
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Chris
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi Chris, there are a few Aussies here who have book readers, I mostly purchase books but I also loan them from the library.

Hope you enjoy your BeBook.

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
zeeshan_2011
zeeshan_2011 began at the beginning.

Device: none
welcome dear
nice to meet you.
zeeshan_2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Chris Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Did you know that Brisbane library does have a selection of ebooks? http://brisyprl.lib.overdrive.com/
I'm actually well north of Brisbane, so I'm not sure I'll have much luck as I couldn't find an internet registration. I did find the BCC netlibrary and registered but it only lets you read some books online.

My local shire library let me register, but only has some audio books, in limited supply. I guess I'll have to write them some letters!

Thankyou everyone for the welcome.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Robinson View Post
I'm actually well north of Brisbane, so I'm not sure I'll have much luck as I couldn't find an internet registration. I did find the BCC netlibrary and registered but it only lets you read some books online.
I _think_ that BCC let people from neighbouring councils join... not sure how far the neighbourly feelings spread though

On the bright side, you might be able to find something to your taste at Smashwords, Feedbooks or the Baen Free Library - all geographical-restriction-free
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, Chris

MR has free ebooks beautifully handcrafted by dedicated MR members. I think your Reader uses ePub format.

nomesque already mentioned three really great sites and you can check these also...
manybooks.net and Project Gutenberg Australia and United States.

You can explore using Calibre to manage your library of DRM free books and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.

Have fun in the forums and ask if you have any questions.

PS Check my signature links.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Chris Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
On the bright side, you might be able to find something to your taste at Smashwords, Feedbooks or the Baen Free Library - all geographical-restriction-free
Thanks! I knew about Baen, but I hadn't got around to checking the others. I really shouldn't complain, I've got enough books loaded on Calibre right now to keep me going for a year, and then some.

One reason I wanted to get some DRM books was to learn how it worked, even though it meant installing more software like Digital Editions and Overdrive. No matter, it can wait. I even tried Barnes and Rubble but they spit when they figured out I wasn't in the US
$No Sale$
Obviously that wasn't the way to do it. I tried an Australian E-book store but the prices were silly ($30ish). I'll come back to that issue later.

If I'm having this much fun now with just Calibre, I can't imagine what I'll be like when the Bebook arrives.

Chris.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
Chris Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
MR has free ebooks beautifully handcrafted by dedicated MR members. I think your Reader uses ePub format.
Oh, Manybooks looks good, and Fictionwise too. My head is going to pop; it's amazing.

I like the idea of supporting the MR authors as well; I think it's something I'm going really enjoy in the long term.

Calibre I already have - it took me almost no time to figure out it was the best pony in the stable. I like the Linux version the best, and it runs blindingly fast on my one lung PC under the desk (keeps my feet warm in winter).

The Bebook supports ePub and about 20 other formats; one of the reasons I decided it was a safe choice to start out with. It's also the only reader that appears to support two DRM formats (Adobe/ePub and Mobi) although you have to change firmware to switch DRM capability between them (Non DRM available for both all the time).

Chris.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello Chris and welcome to Mobileread.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Chris, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Chris, and Click image for larger version

Name:	blue radiant.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	46914 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Chris & welcome to MR. Plenty of books here on MR to keep you going. I borrow quite a few from the library but usually get caught out by the timelimit as my TBR list is too long.

And yes, readers are not that common here.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote