Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
New nook orders now shipped Feb 1

I just ordered a nook Dec 12 and the shipping date is Feb 1, 2010.
Looks like the nook is 50 days behind schedule .
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
yeah, I sold my unopened Nook on ebay and placed order for another one with February 1st date.

I will use ebay profit to cover some of the cost of the unit but at this point I will mainly see if B&N uses next 2 months to address all the issues with Nook. If not I will cancel my order just before it ships. So in a way I am glad I got plenty of time to make a decision.
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post
yeah, I sold my unopened Nook on ebay and placed order for another one with February 1st date.

I will use ebay profit to cover some of the cost of the unit but at this point I will mainly see if B&N uses next 2 months to address all the issues with Nook. If not I will cancel my order just before it ships. So in a way I am glad I got plenty of time to make a decision.
@ Gulo

Im sure BN will have a firmware update by then, BN have been booksellers for almost 100 years- their not going to screw their base.
Here is the wikipedia site on BN:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes_&_Noble

Last edited by gigercounter; 12-13-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
gulo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
@ Gulo

Im sure BN will have a firmware update by then, BN have been booksellers for almost 100 years- their not going to screw their base.
Here is the wikipedia site on BN:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes_&_Noble
if I go by the way the managed the launch I have extremely low opinion about B&N.

For me it's not just releasing "a firmware update" but actually fix all the basic issues that should have been addressed before the release: slow page turning, formatting that takes forever or just hangs completely and mainly the inability to do pretty much anything with side loaded content.

Now I really want Nook to be a good product, that's why pre-ordered it the first day but after reading all the reviews and message boards I am thinking twice before spending my hard earned money. I will definitely follow the updates closely and perhaps by February things will change for better.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
gigercounter
Banned

Quote:
if I go by the way the managed the launch I have extremely low opinion about B&N.

For me it's not just releasing "a firmware update" but actually fix all the basic issues that should have been addressed before the release: slow page turning, formatting that takes forever or just hangs completely and mainly the inability to do pretty much anything with side loaded content.

Now I really want Nook to be a good product, that's why pre-ordered it the first day but after reading all the reviews and message boards I am thinking twice before spending my hard earned money. I will definitely follow the updates closely and perhaps by February things will change for better.
I hear ya. I got mine on backorder- should arrive here Feb 1. Cant wait to play the fiddle with it.
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:

Gulo,

All your complaints are firmware issues....

My nook will be here tomorrow (right now it is in lovely Kentucky); however I have played with one extensively at B&N (everyday on my lunch hour), and the page turns are comparable to other e-ink devices. The touch screen justs needs getting use to. The formating message seems to bother some people, but I would prefer that than the device showing a poorly formatted book.

This is after all version 1.0, and there has never been a 1.0 release that did not suffer some quirks.

I think B&N did a fine job on this device and it will become a better device with firmware upgrades.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
gulo
Enthusiast

well I finally played with Nook in B&N and I was surprised how quickly the pages were turning, I have seen some videos online that were definitely slower. Since all the units should be the same I wonder what's going on ?

Overall I was pretty pleased with performance even though I did get one force close message. My only complaint was actually the weight - it's a bit heavier than I expected.

Funny thing - a customer walked up to the counter with questions about Nook but I ended up answering them instead of an actual employee
Old 12-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
well I finally played with Nook in B&N and I was surprised how quickly the pages were turning, I have seen some videos online that were definitely slower. Since all the units should be the same I wonder what's going on ?
I saw one briefly in a store and thought the refresh rate looked fine -- but I could only compare it to older eInk models I had seen in other stores. There might be a delay depending on what was being done.

Quote:
Overall I was pretty pleased with performance even though I did get one force close message. My only complaint was actually the weight - it's a bit heavier than I expected.
How does it compare to the eBookwise? (That's my current portable device.)

Quote:
Funny thing - a customer walked up to the counter with questions about Nook but I ended up answering them instead of an actual employee
I've helped people find books in bookstores before. I guess I shouldn't have started reshelving books (but they were shelving Westerns and historical myteries under Fantasy! ) because then I stop looking like a customer and start looking for someone who knows where the Westerns or cookbooks are. Sadly, I usually know the answer.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
gulo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I saw one briefly in a store and thought the refresh rate looked fine -- but I could only compare it to older eInk models I had seen in other stores. There might be a delay depending on what was being done.
I have seen videos where they would push the button, then nothing would happen for a while and the page finally starts turning - it turns black and then refreshes. When I tried it in the store it would start changing right after pushing the button which is what I would expect, there was no noticeable delay. The small amount of time it takes to actually refresh the screen is caused by the e-ink technology and I am OK with that