Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Help Choosing A Library Supported EInk Device

Hello. My wife loves to read. She prefers traditional books. She does want an EInk ereader however. We use our local library several times a month. They offer both Hoopla and Overdrive. Which major brands and models support Hoopla and Overdrive? We have Mac computers and do not use W1nd0w$.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't heard of any ereader supporting Hoopla directly. An Android based ereader should be able to load the Hoopla app. If Hoopla allows downloading of Adobe DRM protected books, then any ereader that supports Adobe DRM will be usable.

For OverDrive, you can download books as Adobe DRM protected books. This uses ADE and can then load the books onto any ereader that supports Adobe DRM.

An alternative is the Kobo Aura ONE. This has built-in support for Overdrive libraries. For the supported library, books can be borrowed on the device and downloaded. Or, they can be borrowed using the OverDrive or library site and apps, then downloaded directly to the device. All Kobo ereaders also support Adobe DRM, so books borrowed from OverDrive can also be loaded using ADE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hoopla requires something able to run their app (Android, iOS, Amazon Fire). As David says there are some eInk devices that are Android based and can run apps however I'm not sure if any of them run a new enough version of Android to run the app. From what I can tell on their website it works on "most" devices that run at least Android 4.4, but last I checked a lot of the eInk Android devices run 4.0. If you wanted to go this route I'd try to find someone here on MR that has whatever device you're interested and see if the Hoopla & OverDrive apps run okay on that device.

For OverDrive since you're in the US you could look at a Kindle (works quite well for OD), a Kobo (download to a PC with Adobe Digital Editions and use for transfer to the device or look at the Kobo Aura One's built in OD features) or a Nook (there were some issues with ADE and libraries but I "think" they've fixed them).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Hi! I checked out Hoopla and OverDrive on Google Play on my Onyx Book C67ML Carta 2. Both apps will install on this device. This Onyx is an Android e-Ink e-reader running Android 4.2.2, It has a six inch display with 300 dpi resolution (just like the best of Kindle and Kobo). Onyx is a Chinese company, but it is possible to order these through banggood.com, as well as other places. Mine took about two weeks to reach me. Battery life is so-so (but turning off WiFi when reading helps a lot). Other than that quibble, this device has served me well.

I also have a Boyue T63 (similar specs to the Onyx). OverDrive will install on it, but Google Play tells me that Hoopla isn't compatible with my device. I suspect that if I side loaded Hoopla, it would install and run just fine on the Boyue as well.

If you are interested in either option, feel free to ask me more questions. (No, I don't get a commission!)

BTW, Onyx makes e-readers of various sizes, all the way up to the 13 inch Max. The larger ones cost more. It all depends on what is most comfortable for you.

Last edited by downeaster59; 05-08-2017 at 05:46 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote