Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Novels set in Ancient Egypt?

Can anyone recommend some novels set in ancient Egypt? Any genre would do, including thrillers. These books would be for my mom, a lifelong Ancient Egypt buff. She's in her mid-eighties and I'd like to encourage her to read more in order to keep her mind more active. She has a great many history books, but novels would be something new for her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
Can anyone recommend some novels set in ancient Egypt? Any genre would do, including thrillers. These books would be for my mom, a lifelong Ancient Egypt buff. She's in her mid-eighties and I'd like to encourage her to read more in order to keep her mind more active. She has a great many history books, but novels would be something new for her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Plumadona
Wilbur Smith has a whole series of novels set in Ancient Egypt, but as I have never read them, I can't recommend them as such. From what I've heard, they're pretty risque.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't think I've ever read any fiction set in ancient Egypt so can't recommend anything, but this list on Goodreads might be of help...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4..._Ancient_Egypt
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
It's been a long while since I read them, but I recall Judith Tarr's assorted books set in Ancient Egypt (she had an historical novel about Hatshepsut, and some other mystery and drama novels as well), and Pauline Gedge's historical saga novels (including another Hatshepsut novel) as being quite good and well-researched (Tarr herself is an historian by training, though in Medieval Studies). These are two of my favourite authors, though more for their other books than the Egypt stuff.

Both are available as ebooks: Gedge's through HarperCollins, and you can get some of Tarr's backlist DRM-free from the Book View Café author re-publishing consortium. (And it appears she could probably use the money, having run into financial difficulties in recent months, with her only current source of income from her writing royalties.)

Agatha Christie also wrote a well-regarded murder mystery set in Ancient Egypt, Death Comes as the End, which I bought years ago as part of a sale, but haven't gotten around to reading myself, though we've enough Christie aficionados on these forums that someone should be able to tell you more about it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@Plumadona: Ask you mom whether she's already read The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. Apparently it was quite popular in the 1950s and was even made into a Hollywood movie.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far; I'll start tracking them down. Keep those cards and letters coming in, folks! ��
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
You might try the "Huy the scribe" series, by Anton Gill. They appear to be fairly accurate, as far as I can tell. They're mysteries, but more on the "detective" end of the spectrum. I've read and enjoyed most of the books in the series and expect to read more.

The list at Goodreads is a bit out of date. I think there are currently five books in the series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/418...yptian-mystery

Last edited by cromag; 06-08-2016 at 03:19 PM.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
You could have a look at Christian Jacq. Fantastic Fiction (https://www.fantasticfiction.com/j/christian-jacq/) lists 5 or 6 series of historical novel plus some stand alones.
You didn't say what format your mother reads her books in, but they don't appear to be available as ebooks in English.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One of my favorites was Shadow Hawk by Andre Norton. I don't think it's available as an ebook though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:00 AM   #10
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Wilbur Smith has a whole series of novels set in Ancient Egypt, but as I have never read them, I can't recommend them as such. From what I've heard, they're pretty risque.
I have read Wilbur Smith's River God and will certainly recommend it. There are sequels to the book.

Maybe she will also like The Sunbird also by Wilbur Smith.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
+1 for Wilbur Smith. There are few that do sweeping historical epics as well as he does (James Michener comes to mind, but I don't think he did anything based in ancient Egypt).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:50 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Not set in ancient Egypt, but written by an Egyptologist (Barbara Metz, as Elizabeth Peters), set in turn-of-the-century (the 20th, that is ) Egypt and with an Egyptologist protagonist: the Amelia Peabody mysteries.

I have read the entire series, and enjoyed them.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
+1 for Wilbur Smith. There are few that do sweeping historical epics as well as he does (James Michener comes to mind, but I don't think he did anything based in ancient Egypt).
A warning: the first two novels in Wilbur Smith's "Egypt" series: "River God" and "The Seventh Scroll", are excellent. Many years later he wrote three more: "Warlock", "The Quest", and "Desert God". These are simply dreadful, and should be avoided at all costs.

Another excellent one is Agatha Christie's "Death Comes As the End", a detective novel set in Ancient Egypt. This is very good indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Not set in ancient Egypt, but written by an Egyptologist (Barbara Metz, as Elizabeth Peters), set in turn-of-the-century (the 20th, that is ) Egypt and with an Egyptologist protagonist: the Amelia Peabody mysteries.

I have read the entire series, and enjoyed them.
Yes, these are wonderful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #15
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
You might enjoy the Lieutenant Bak mysteries by Lauren Haney. The first book is The Right Hand of Amon.
Quote:
It is the eighteenth dynasty of Queen Maatkare Hatshepsut, divine ruler of a sun-seared realm. And blood flows as freely as the great, winding Nile that nourishes this ancient land of intrigue and danger.

Lieutenant Bak is a loyal servant of the royal house of Egypt--commander of the Medjay police in the frontier fortress city of Buhen. A man of honor and ability, it is he who must oversee the corps assigned to accompany the golden idol, the god Amon, on its journey up the Nile to heal the ailing son of a powerful tribal king. But the mighty river has yielded up a sinister "treasure": the body of a brave soldier horrifically slain for reasons unknown. And only the drawings of a missing mute boy can help Bak unravel the mystery of the officer's foul death--before it leads to far greater crimes that could imperil an empire.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote