Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 PM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You two could come downstairs and play. I need to up my post count.

Seriously, great advice.
You have a play room? For adults?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 AM   #47
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You have a play room? For adults?
I was thinking here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3018&page=5400
but I like the way you think.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #48
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You two could come downstairs and play. I need to up my post count.

Seriously, great advice.
I'm curious--why do you need to up your post count? Does something magical happen when you have a certain number of posts?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #49
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm curious--why do you need to up your post count? Does something magical happen when you have a certain number of posts?

Shari
Somebody claimed in another forum that your karma is related to your post count, and Alexander Turcic (owner, founder and computer geek) thanked the poster for the simple explanation. This is confusing because my experience here shows that karma is related only to how much karma other members gave me, not post count.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:27 AM   #50
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
No I am trying to win a silly game and up my post count there. Come on down and play.
Well I did get a cool number the other day. 6,666.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 09:12 PM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You only have to make one post - the last one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Somebody claimed in another forum that your karma is related to your post count, and Alexander Turcic (owner, founder and computer geek) thanked the poster for the simple explanation. This is confusing because my experience here shows that karma is related only to how much karma other members gave me, not post count.
It is your karma-giving power that relates to your post count. We even have a Wiki page about it, see: Karma.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #53
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is your karma-giving power that relates to your post count. We even have a Wiki page about it, see: Karma.
Thanks for the link. It coincides with my experience that you only receive karma when it is bestowed upon you by another member (limitation #1: "The only way for a person's karma to rise is for someone else to give them karma.").

"Giveable" karma = (days registered)/30 + (post count)/40 + (karma)/200.

So "days registered" is the dominant factor, and the act of giving karma triggers a karma change for the recipient. And you get one additional karma point you can give for each 200 new posts. I see now why the "last post wins" threads are so popular.

The original post I questioned did not make a clear distinction in my mind between karma and "karma-giving power", and I need such distinctions to avoid confusion and misunderstanding. That is also why I add so much extra syntactic sugar to my written words, to attempt to prevent such alternate interpretations.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-26-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #54
geekmaster

To "hack all the kindles", the first step (universal downgrade) is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275877

And the second step (universal jailbreak) is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275887
Old 07-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #55
n1kk00
n1kk00 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
A little something to consider regarding @Arnie97's experiment with not clearing the DBs under /var/local. I went this route when I was downgrading my wife's PW2 (on v5.7.4) the other day. It was ok initially. However, later when I tried to sideload a book it didn't show up on the home screen; it opened just fine in KOReader and on my PW2 so not a file issue. Figuring the only difference was that I didn't clear the DBs I thought I'd clear them now - did it and after a couple of reboots all was back to normal, sideloaded books would appear and all. So probably not a good idea to skip this step

Last edited by n1kk00; 07-07-2016 at 03:58 PM.
n1kk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #56
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kk00 View Post
A little something to consider regarding @Arnie97's experiment with not clearing the DBs under /var/local. I went this route when I was downgrading my wife's PW2 (on v5.7.4) the other day. It was ok initially. However, later when I tried to sideload a book it didn't show up on the home screen; it opened just fine in KOReader and on my PW2 so not a file issue. Figuring the only difference was that I didn't clear the DBs I thought I'd clear them now - did it and after a couple of reboots all was back to normal, sideloaded books would appear and all. So probably not a good idea to skip this step
Thanks for your report. DB format differences are why we clear this DB, to prevent DB corruption problems (which may potentially brick a kindle).
Old 07-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #57
Arnie97
Arnie97 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw3 fw5.7.3.1 jb
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kk00 View Post
Sideloaded books and other things happened to work well on my device, but your mileage may vary. Anyway, it's always a safer choice to reset the databases.
Arnie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:55 AM   #58
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Exclamation Bricked!

Sirs, A Problem appeared while Diags downgrading my Kindle PW2(9017). It doesnt boot now. Undergoes a boot loop. OS used PW2 5.6.5 to flash.(the one I provided a link). When I extracted it with kindletool it showed kindle PW2 Intl as compatible. Dont know what happened.While this command was given:

Code:
zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
Kindle gave back this to my terminal on linux
Quote:
dd: writing '/dev/mmcblk0pl': No space left on device
31928+0 records in
31927+0 records out
130772992 bytes (124.7MB) copied, 16.763004 seconds, 7.4MB/s
Seems like this should have more warnings!

How can de-brick my kindle?
Still diags works and i am able to ssh to my kindle!

Can I retry it with bin files from 5.8.7?

Please help me out!

B.Baalaji

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 05-24-2017 at 06:20 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:27 AM   #59
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Is it definitely a PW2?? Such an old model?! Bought second hand? The intial special factory downgrade version for that model is 5.4.3.2 (see post #1 step 3). This MUST be used. Not any other version... or you'll brick your device.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
- - - - -
How can de-brick my kindle?
Still diags works and i am able to ssh to my kindle!
- - - - -
You must use firmware for a PW2-4GB Kindle on a 9017, firmware for a PW2-2GB Kindle will not work.
(Which you just discovered.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade firmware, firmware downgrade