Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Pulp Recommendations

I've found that there are several companies specializing in pulp magazine reprints (in both print and ebook formats). For example, Altus Press and Radio Archives. But there are so many to chose from! Can anyone make some recommendations?

I've read some of the obvious ones -- Robert E. Howard and H. P. Lovecraft, and I have a Sheena ebook somewhere. But what about authors like Norvell Page (of The Spider)? Or once popular titles such as The Secret 6?

Right now, I'm reading some "Yellow Peril" stories (Wu Fang, one of the many Fu Manchu clones). Talk about a blast into the past. Yikes!

Now if only the publishers would make Doc Savage and Shadow ebooks available instead of sitting on them while they hire someone to develop movies instead. Let's hope the upcoming Doc Savage movie is better than the one with Ron Ely. It would have to be.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Now if only the publishers would make Doc Savage and Shadow ebooks available instead of sitting on them while they hire someone to develop movies instead. Let's hope the upcoming Doc Savage movie is better than the one with Ron Ely. It would have to be.
Sigh... I was going to point you at the Doc Savage books available here on MR, but they seem to have removed. Yes, copyright worries. I managed to snatch up the first 56 that were posted before the hammer came down...

Have you taken a look at Donald Westlake (aka Richard Stark) Parker novels? Looks like all/most are available on Amazon.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Sigh... I was going to point you at the Doc Savage books available here on MR, but they seem to have removed. Yes, copyright worries. I managed to snatch up the first 56 that were posted before the hammer came down...
You were lucky. I downloaded one or two, probably from Blackmask.com. But they have gone missing in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Have you taken a look at Donald Westlake (aka Richard Stark) Parker novels? Looks like all/most are available on Amazon.
I read one eons ago. I'll have to try that again.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
I read one eons ago. I'll have to try that again.
You should really give them a try if you like pulp. Parker is the ultimate anti-hero. Not a nice person, but is adversaries get what they deserve.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
You were lucky. I downloaded one or two, probably from Blackmask.com. But they have gone missing in action.
The same can be said for "The Shadow"books. Conde Nast strikes again. Though with books it's possible that they aren't PD yet as well. Conde Nast does seem to try to grab anything they can reach though. Especially OTR programs.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I always liked John Whitlatch's books. I have them all in paper. Unfortunately none are available as eBooks.
http://bishsbeat.blogspot.com/2009/0...tlatch_14.html
http://mysteryfile.com/Whitlatch.html
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Munsey's does have a lot of old PD books that fit into the pulp category. They are in different e formats and are all legal to my knowledge.

Munsey's

Last edited by crich70; 01-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
I love the Pulp store at Radio Archive :] Singularity&Co. is digitizing old SciFi pulps if you're interested in the genre.

If you like bleak and pessimistic noirs give David Goodis a try. Ed Gorman said of his writing “David Goodis didn’t write novels, he wrote suicide notes.”

There's an epub sampler here at MR with 'The Cop on the Corner' as the best in the bunch. The others are weaker, imho.

Munseys also has three of my favorite titles - 'Nightfall', 'Cassidy's Girl' and 'Night Squad'.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fu manchu, pulp, pulp fiction