Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Another update?

Hey all,

I'm away for work in Yellowknife, and I just logged into the hotel wifi and the vox is prompting me with another update. It's 1730 mountain time. Anyone else seeing this? I'm going to hold of on applying it.

Cheers

Last edited by Kboland; 03-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yep I got another update here as well.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
andrelli
andrelli began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Got the same update notification here. Installing now, can't be any worse than the last one. I haven't been able to root it since the last one, so maybe this will fix that problem. Here's hoping.
andrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Jesslynne
Zealot

I'm hoping so as well.. Doing the update made my battery stuck at too low so had to do the reset from the back... but trying again.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
andrelli
andrelli began at the beginning.

Device: vox
No go on Gingerbreak
andrelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Jesslynne
Zealot

Yup.. >.<

There doesn't seem to be any difference from the last update at all.

Last edited by Jesslynne; 03-12-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Just installed it. "Resolves screen brightness issue with earlier update." Paraphrasing...

And indeed auto dimming works again.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
For those having issues with rooting...

JOY! Found a good work around for the rooting not working.

Install Oracle Virtual Box
Setup a vanilla XP OS with USB access
Follow danifunker's root process
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Whats New

Book recommendations
  • See new releases, popular books, and recommendations picked just for you
  • Check out book recommendations on the Home Screen and in the Kobo Store.
New and Improved Settings Menu
  • Manage your Kobo and Facebook accounts, change the look of your library shelf, and more,
Facebook Timeline
  • Turn sharing on to share what you are reading through Facebook Timeline
  • Share your entire library or pick just the books you want your friend to see
Stability Improvements
  • Various bug fixes improvements
  • Resolved screen brightness bug where the screen would not auto dim or brighten (new fix as of March 7, 2012)
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Just installed it. "Resolves screen brightness issue with earlier update." Paraphrasing...

And indeed auto dimming works again.
Yes, the wildly fluctuating auto dimming "works" again.

I think only one other person here besides myself noticed the auto dimming stopped working with the previous update and, personally, I was quite happy with that. It was quite annoying when reading near a window because the screen brightness would vary erratically whenever I moved the Vox. I guess it's back again.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
samysdad
Enthusiast
samysdad began at the beginning.

Oldyellr try screen filter... you will like http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a...lter_nqbe.html
samysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I already use Screen Filter for reading at night. Since a couple of updates ago, the Vox eReader brightness adjustment range was reduced, but I fund that Aldiko brightness could be adjusted lower. To read in the dark I set night mode, adjust brightness to the minimum and use screen filter. Now if only the three lighted buttons could be dimmed as well. At night I stick a piece of paper down in the bottom of my case to cover the lights and dim them down to the same level as the text and the buttons still work.

I uncheck automatic brightness and set it where I want.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I just tried covering the lights with some black electrical tape. The buttons are completely invisible, still function, and they still work. Cool Reader also allows the brightness to be driven very low, which makes for a comfortable after dark read.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I hate it too, especially under fluorescent lights. I had to turn it on to see that it didn't work and back on to test that it was fixed
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
David_A
David_A began at the beginning.

Has anyone else noticed that the WIFI indicator bars have gone from white to green with this update?
David_A is offline   Reply With Quote