Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
yoss15
Enthusiast
yoss15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
New York Times Replica Edition

Does anyone know if there is anyway to create a recipe for the NYT Replica edition?

My school provides access to the Times but only through this program and the print edition.

I don't have much hope for options but I figured I'd ask.
yoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Why don't you just use the built-in recipe?
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
a.peter
Enthusiast
a.peter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle Touch
There won't be a recipe for the replica edition. The replica version contains PDF. It's almost impossible to analzye a newspaper pdf to create a epub version.
a.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
yoss15
Enthusiast
yoss15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Actually I tried using the login information for the Replica edition and it seems like it downloaded fine, after that I tried to download it with no login information and it also looks fine.

Any idea why this would be? I know with other news sources where I've entered the wrong information it will only download the article titles.
yoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
sdow1
Connoisseur
sdow1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, ipad
It's probably for the same reason that anyone can download the times recipe, even without a paid subscription - the times 'firewall' is very thin - it's just a bit of javascript that pops up if the web address contains a particular code at the end. To the point where, if you're reading on the web and you get a "you've accessed your alloted free articles this month message", all you have to do is delete the extra code at the end of the web address and you can access the article you're trying to read.

calibre, just because of how it works in the first place, ignores the javascript completely. It wasn't even designed to 'beat' the times system, it just happens to work in a way that beats it unintentionally.
sdow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert