Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Odd; Kobo-purchased book reads fine on Desktop, WiFi and Sony -but not on Kobo Touch.

So, about a week ago, I purchased Strange Tales From a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling from the Kobo bookstore.

When trying to read on the Kobo Touch, the cover page doesn't show up after tapping it on the Home page. I tried it several times, and it kept not loading. So, I decided to navigate to the Table of Contents, via dropdown box, to begin reading.

The Table of Contents looks like this (sorry, I don't have a webcam or digital camera, believe it or not:

Cover
Cover
About the Author
About the Author
Title Page
Title Page
Copyright Page
Copyright Page
Contents
Contents

Etc, etc...until you get to

Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio
2: AN OTHERWORDLY EXAMINATION
3: LIVING DEAD

etc...and every strange tale listed individually by title.

Over 100 of these strange tales, as a matter of fact.

Well. Things keep looping about. Long story short, one has to go back to the Table of Contents every time to get to the next thing - because even after every story, it loops back to Acknowledgements, or About the Author, or some such randomness. Um...I'm not going to do this over 100 times.
(Although, trying it again today after last night, when you finish a story, it randomly goes back to some earlier story. And not in predictable order. It went from 15 to 5 today, then to 4, and then to Acknowledgments. Wow; weird.

But here's the thing:

Reads fine on the desktop app; no problems, and no double listings in the Table of Contents, and no weird "looping" (if that's even the correct term) or hopping backwards in the book.

The book reads perfectly fine on my Sony PRS-350; no problems, (just like on my Kobo desktop app).

And this, to me, is the weirdest thing of all:

It reads absolutely normally on my Kobo WiFi. No double entries in the Table of Contents, and no looping or random jumps backwards. So, I'm reading it on my WiFi.

So, okay on Kobo WiFi, but not on the Kobo Touch? Weird. Why, I wonder. But I'd sure be flustered right now it the Kobo Touch was the only ereader I owned.

Is it worth notifying Kobo about this?

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes it is worthwhile to get in touch with Kobo support over this.

Remember; the fi;e read through Kobo Desktop is NOT the same file as is read via ADE or downloaded in ePub format.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
john47
john47 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Same problem

I have recently discovered this same problem on my Kobo Touch with three books, before contacting the helpline the books showed up in my library but couldn't read them as I couldn't get passed the cover. On looking ate the table of contacts everything was doubled up or sometimes more. I contacted the help line and they told me to log into my Kobo account and go into My Library and then go into purchased items then click on the boxes next to the books I wanted to reload and bookmark them. I have tried this to no avail, the books have now vanished completely from my libraray. I was using Windows 7 64bit so tried the using my old laptop running Windows XP but still no joy. Has anybody found an answer to this problem yet as I notice the message I'm replying to is a few months old.
john47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Recently someone wrote that when they requested a preview of their "lost" book the complete book was downloaded. It might be worth a try.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Recently someone wrote that when they requested a preview of their "lost" book the complete book was downloaded. It might be worth a try.
That may have been me. I deleted a gifted book from my touch and then with the sync was gone from my account online. Not in purchases (since it was a gift and I didn't purchase it) or trash. Requested a preview and got the whole book. One clue I had that it might work is that when I went to look at the book I clicked on "buy now" but wasn't given the option to buy it only download the Adobe ePub. If you see the same thing I'd be willing to bet the preview trick will work for you.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert