Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo WiFi

Based on the faq at chapters.indigo the only use for the WiFi is to browser the store to browse the Kobo bookstore.

Can anyone check if this is true or not?

Would be great if beyond that we could connect to the desktop app using WiFi and with others book managers like Calibre. I do not mind not being able to browse any other store but if the device supports ePub and Pdf those are not to be found on the store but already on our desktop so why not use the WiFi to get them instead of the cable ?

Jex
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
Based on the faq at chapters.indigo the only use for the WiFi is to browser the store to browse the Kobo bookstore.

Can anyone check if this is true or not?

Would be great if beyond that we could connect to the desktop app using WiFi and with others book managers like Calibre. I do not mind not being able to browse any other store but if the device supports ePub and Pdf those are not to be found on the store but already on our desktop so why not use the WiFi to get them instead of the cable ?

Jex
In my initial review there does not seem to be a method to connect to anything else over wifi. I would love to see a feature added to sync or download books wirelessly from calibre's content web server. That would be fantastic.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
I uderstand that browsing other stores besides Kobo's is not on their interest. But as Kobo supports open formats I see no point in blocking "open" providers like Calibre or even your local PC that stores those pdf waiting to be read
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
My guess would be it's not so much blocking anything as the functionality would need to be developed, and they have other features to focus on (like our legacy Kobo 1 code). Maybe in future?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

I suspect that the current wifi version is not so much blocking calibre over wifi as not having functionality implemented to download the epubs from anywhere else.

There may be a reason it is not implemented and at least some of them may be time, dollars and technical. Hopefully one of the kobo developers will implement support for calibre's content server after they implement the new firmware for the original device of course....

Tim
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Heh heh Tim - great minds think alike!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Heh heh Tim - great minds think alike!
Fools seldom differ
Old 10-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JexMcByte View Post
I uderstand that browsing other stores besides Kobo's is not on their interest.
You'll note the newly renamed button is called "SHOP."
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
billthereader
billthereader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I think the idea of the wireless is strictly to shop for Kobo books and get automatic newspapers (eventually). It'll be updated in the future with more features I'm sure. Not a big deal for me. I'm still so "over the moon" with this new reader.

On a side-note, it seems the wireless automatically turns itself off if you're not using it, which saves power and the need to check if it's still enabled.
billthereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #10
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
The shop button also allows you to sync with your kobo library (on your desktop using the kobo software) once you make an account with them.
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by billthereader View Post
I think the idea of the wireless is strictly to shop for Kobo books and get automatic newspapers (eventually). It'll be updated in the future with more features I'm sure.
Upgrade is one of things wifi might be used for. However I feel reluctant
to it, there is no desktop app like direct server-device connection. Would
be interesting to learn how manufacturer decides about reader content
and what's in the script that triggers upgrade to some level.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by billthereader View Post
I think the idea of the wireless is strictly to shop for Kobo books and get automatic newspapers (eventually).
Daily newspapers are available on the new reader now - including 14 day free trials. Check out the 'Newspaper and Mags' section on the store home page.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote