Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #136
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you read the page linked to, Tommy? It all sounds very "dodgy" to me. I'd really rather not take the chance here at MR.
Well, I looked at it fast but did not find any statement at all about that the copyright holder did not mind or any opinion about copyright at all. But maybe I just looked in the wrong place.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #137
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Take a look at the second link in vivaldi's message .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #138
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I'd really rather not take the chance here at MR.
That is most probably a good policy.

But what then about the Share Alike things that are distributed here without stating the license that I mentioned in another thread? As I read the Share Alike licence you have to distribute it under the same terms as the thing you started with.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #139
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That is most probably a good policy.

But what then about the Share Alike things that are distributed here without stating the license that I mentioned in another thread? As I read the Share Alike licence you have to distribute it under the same terms as the thing you started with.
Yes, I agree with you. Please let the uploader know if you come across anything like that so it can be fixed.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #140
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Sorry, but no. The fact that "the copyright holder doesn't mind" is not an excuse for copying it.
I agree with Harry. Unless the copyright expiration rule applies here or the author gave his explicit consent for reproduction, we should not publish it here. He may not mind today -- but he could mind tomorrow.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #141
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
May I have an official ruling, please? I would love to post the English translation by Mahadev Desai of Gandhi's autobiography. It is not at Project Gutenberg and Google Books won't show it with an unlimited view either. But it is very widely available on the internet including, for example, at Wikisource here. But their "source" page, which is here, does not read like a sound justification for posting it. So I ask: should I or shouldn't I? Thanks in advance for your help.
I see that the translator died in 1942, and Gandhi died in 1948. Canadian copyright law is life+50. We can host this ebook.

P.S. I don't usually read this thread, so if you need a second opinion on a copyright question, please pm me.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #142
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I see that the translator died in 1942, and Gandhi died in 1948. Canadian copyright law is life+50. We can host this ebook.
If those dates are correct, then yes, it's OK to have here. Thanks for that, Nate - hadn't spotted the dates. In many cases, as you know, even if a book in another language is out of copyright in its original language, a translation isn't, because a translation gets its own separate copyright.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #143
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
If those dates are correct, then yes, it's OK to have here. Thanks for that, Nate - hadn't spotted the dates. In many cases, as you know, even if a book in another language is out of copyright in its original language, a translation isn't, because a translation gets its own separate copyright.
That's terrific! Thank you both very much for your time.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #144
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Has anybody got Longfellow's "The Children's Hour" and perhaps other poems available in mobi (Kindle) format? I would think that's out of copyrite by now.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #145
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I just wanted to put in a heartfelt thank you to all those that format the ebooks so we can download and read them. Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #146
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddorfdeb View Post
Has anybody got Longfellow's "The Children's Hour" and perhaps other poems available in mobi (Kindle) format? I would think that's out of copyrite by now.
No one seems to have created a Mobi version here.

It is out of copyright: PG has a plain text version of Longfellow's collected poetry (including The children's Hour" here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1365/1365.txt
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #147
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Thank you! I looked for them -- but was having trouble spelling "gutenberg". Oh well.....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #148
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I still have nightmares about plays and verse from formatting the Harvard Classics. Either is enough to drive me to Distraction (a small town in Arizona. )
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #149
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm about to upload the Longfellow collection, 'Birds of Passage', which includes 'The Children's Hour.'
I hope that you enjoy it.
As Wood point out, poetry is a bit time-consuming to format, but does make a pleasant change from prose. If you want some more Longfellow then ask again in a week or two -- I'm looking at some Milton next.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:01 AM   #150
fuguru
fuguru began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Speaking of Indian writers, I'd personally love to see a nice copy of Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramhansa Yogananda made up, in case any of you fine ebook makers are sitting on your hands. The first edition of it up at Gutenberg with the original pictures. http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7452

Keep up the good work!
fuguru is offline   Reply With Quote