Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
splendor
Enthusiast
splendor began at the beginning.

Device: irex
Ipad is not an ereader, the display is not for reading

it turned out that the display is not Pixel QI technology, and the backlight cannot be turned off, which means that it still cannot be used as an ereader for long-hour reading.

SOOOOOooooooo disappointed !!!
splendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
it turned out that the display is not Pixel QI technology, and the backlight cannot be turned off, which means that it still cannot be used as an ereader for long-hour reading.

Why do you think backlight cannot be turned off? What's the source of this information?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
DD1509
Enthusiast
DD1509 doesn't litterDD1509 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Why do you think backlight cannot be turned off? What's the source of this information?
Yeah, I 2nd that. And why would someone say it is not for reading? Just because the screen is not a certain spec, etc. You can read on just about a kind of screen device. I read on the computer for about 10+ hours every day and it is rather fine for reading.
DD1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Plus, you'll be able to set the color schemes for reading... e.g., on Stanza you can use blue text on a black background; it's easy on the eyes and great for middle of the night reading so as to not disturb your partner. You can turn the brightness way down which also preserves the battery life!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It was never meant to be an e-reader.

It's a multi-media tablet, with reading being one of the function it can be used for if you're so inclined.

I have no real issue sitting at PC/laptops for hours each day. So I could certainly do the 30-120 minutes of reading I do on an average day on such a screen with no issues.

I don't plan on buying the iPad as it doesn't quite do all I want from a tablet, but I'll probably get a similar device at some point down the road.

I'd keep my Kindle for leisure novel reading, and use the tablet for website reading, magazine reading, reading and marking up academic PDFs etc.--along with the video, games, e-mail, random apps etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I think it's pretty slick, though it doesn't seem much of a daylight reader. If I were more willing to be seen in public with an Apple device, I'd even consider picking up the base model. In fact, I might do so anyway, and cover it up with duct tape or something to avoid the creepy "knowing smiles" of the Apple cult.

Of course, I'd rather have a daylight-readable screen with better battery life...and more UI customization and software options. However, for general reading, this could be much nicer for me than current E-Ink solutions. Not a fix-all, but a decent stopgap on the way to a more complete and capable device.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
teko
teko began at the beginning.

Device: none
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

the video here gives some views of how ebooks look, I'd be concerned with glare on it
teko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

In the case I'm obviously seriously delusional in imagining that I read eBooks perfectly happily on backlit LCD displays for 20-odd years.

Whyever do you think that someone "cannot" read from such a screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
If it has the brightness setting like the Touch has (I am sure it does), it won't be a problem. Other than the small screen the Touch is a great reading device.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I don't wear glasses and I'd like to keep it this way. My eyes get tired in less than half an hour reading on my iPhone. I like e-ink, because under bright light it's easy on my eyes and I can read for hours.

BUT, the iPad has an IPS screen. I like IPS screens - I stare at one all day, without any eye fatigue.

If the screen on the iPad is anything like the screens on the couple of IPS monitors I have, I'd be perfectly happy reading on it, and dumping my Kindle. My main issue is the sub-10" size of the screen, which is too small for PDFs (and the possible lack of Flash.)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #11
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by teko View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

the video here gives some views of how ebooks look, I'd be concerned with glare on it
But if you look closely at this demo, it lets you read only half the pages! With an open book, you see two pages - this device only lets you see the right one! It's broken.

...I'm sure some computer-illiterate people won't get it for this reason.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I don't wear glasses and I'd like to keep it this way. My eyes get tired in less than half an hour reading on my iPhone. I like e-ink, because under bright light it's easy on my eyes and I can read for hours.

BUT, the iPad has an IPS screen. I like IPS screens - I stare at one all day, without any eye fatigue.

If the screen on the iPad is anything like the screens on the couple of IPS monitors I have, I'd be perfectly happy reading on it, and dumping my Kindle. My main issue is the sub-10" size of the screen, which is too small for PDFs (and the possible lack of Flash.)
That's interesting. How does the IPS screen differ from LCD in terms of eye strain? Please excuse my ignorance.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #13
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
For the sake of others, if you turn the backlight off on a traditional LCD, you can see virtually nothing; you have to really look hard just to be aware that the screen can still be on while the backlight is off. Without a special reflective layer between the backlight and LCD (one of the things Pixel Qi provides), it would be pointless to be able to turn off the backlight, except for a power-saving feature on lack of use. If the iTab (that's what they should have called it) had the ability shut that off and still read, we'd know about it. That's not the sort of lede you bury. It'd be one of the more revolutionary features on the device.

With Pixel Qi screen tech, you can shut down the backlight and still have text be perfectly readable in direct sunlight (I'm not yet clear on just how much indoor lighting you'd need to read it with no backlight at all). The power savings are fantastic. As to its effect on eye strain, that's unclear, though not having white light pouring off the screen is bound to help.

Quote:

The lack of Pixel Qi is why I was disappointed in the Win7 tablets Balmer intro'd at CES. That would have been a killer product if Win7 could run on the right cortex or snapdragon platform.

But if your intent was to say you can't read for hours on an LCD without eye strain, I beg to differ. My Touch Pro2 is my main reading device. With a black background and green text, back light on minimum, and the reader application in full screen, I experience none of the eye strain I sometimes feel at my desktop.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the case I'm obviously seriously delusional in imagining that I read eBooks perfectly happily on backlit LCD displays for 20-odd years.

Whyever do you think that someone "cannot" read from such a screen?
Maybe not 20 years for me but I remember reading on my Palm devices since I found out about ebooks
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
For the sake of others, if you turn the backlight off on a traditional LCD, you can see virtually nothing; you have to really look hard just to be aware that the screen can still be on while the backlight is off. Without a special reflective layer between the backlight and LCD (one of the things Pixel Qi provides), it would be pointless to be able to turn off the backlight, except for a power-saving feature on lack of use. If the iTab (that's what they should have called it) had the ability shut that off and still read, we'd know about it. That's not the sort of lede you bury. It'd be one of the more revolutionary features on the device.

With Pixel Qi screen tech, you can shut down the backlight and still have text be perfectly readable in direct sunlight (I'm not yet clear on just how much indoor lighting you'd need to read it with no backlight at all). The power savings are fantastic. As to its effect on eye strain, that's unclear, though not having white light pouring off the screen is bound to help.
Not only the Pixel Qi screens have the property. As I can read my PDA perfectly in bright sunlight with the backlight turned off. Every single transflective screen has this property. Only Pixel Qi has taken the concept of transflective screens and has made some updates on it.

I'd have been surprised if the HP Slate had had a Pixel Qi screen. Considering those aren't in production yet. We'll have to wait till they go in production and then see what tablet builders will use it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote