Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Torcflaed
Torcflaed began at the beginning.

Device: none
unable to install in windows 10

Hi, I have used Calibre for years and have used it with windows 10 before recently I had to do a system rebuild so there is no old install at this time.
problem is when I try ti install Calibre it gets to the point where it tries to install the instalaion bar fills up then in just uninstalls and tells me unable to install at this time, no error code or anything
firewall is off so I am stumped
Torcflaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try safemode and then install.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcflaed View Post
Hi, I have used Calibre for years and have used it with windows 10 before recently I had to do a system rebuild so there is no old install at this time.
problem is when I try ti install Calibre it gets to the point where it tries to install the instalaion bar fills up then in just uninstalls and tells me unable to install at this time, no error code or anything
firewall is off so I am stumped
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try safemode and then install.
If installing in safe mode does not solve the problem then:

I assume you did a 'system rebuild' because something was broken.

My guess is remnants from the earlier install are still in the registry settings. Try using a lightweight registry cleaner like Piriform's CCleaner, or create a system restore point and then remove all calibre related entries using Regedit.

BTW what exactly do you mean by a 'system rebuild' ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've had this happen once, quite recently. It did exactly what the OP describes on one of my machines (32bit calibre on 64bit Win10) but installed smoothly on my other machine (same 32bit calibre installer but on 32bit Win10). Simply restarting my 64bit machine and rerunning the installer before launching any programs cured the issue.

A subsequent calibre release installed fine on the 64bit machine even though it had been running for a week or so without restarting. I can only assume that some other program or service had left something in a "bad state" and when the calibre installer went to install one of its many components it found it couldn't and backed out everything neatly. In my case, Safe Mode wasn't needed, but if the problem app or service loads during boot it may be necessary to use Safe Mode to avoid the problem. In my case it appears to have been something run manually at some point.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote