Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #61
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
Your plugin has been eventually been indexed! Automatically updated right now! Thanks a lot!
Index update kudos to kiwidude. As always.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #62
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I trust what you say. It hadn't hyphenation support in previous versions, but luckily it has it out of the box right now (since 2.0, I guess), and even without the plugin.
Unfortunately most e-ink devices uses a mobile version of ADE that is based on version 1.7, not 2.0. Since updates on readers are scarce, it is very unlikely that most of the readers out there will not be able to use this correctly.
I like the idea, but it is not that useful.

If I remember correctly, my old PRS-300 even puts in question marks in case a soft hyphen is in the text.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #63
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
with my PEz
No new Updates after 2011 (Astak (branded) even got out of the Reader business when many device retail prices fell below their cost.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Unfortunately most e-ink devices uses a mobile version of ADE that is based on version 1.7, not 2.0. Since updates on readers are scarce, it is very unlikely that most of the readers out there will not be able to use this correctly.
I like the idea, but it is not that useful.

If I remember correctly, my old PRS-300 even puts in question marks in case a soft hyphen is in the text.
It's these sorts of reasons that I am highly suggesting removing support for ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #65
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's these sorts of reasons that I am highly suggesting removing support for ePub.
This plugin creates a totally standard compliant ePub. There are no reason for removing ePub support from this plugin, except personal dislike. And since using or not using this plugin is just a matter of personal choice...

Furthermore, removing soft hyphens is just a snap.

Just a device compatibility list could be a reasonable suggestion (and people are already reporting successes and failures).

At the moment, fully successful stories in supporting soft hyphens:
  • Kindle Touch
  • Kindle Paperwhite
  • Kindle (Kindle 4 non-touch)
  • Kindle Keyboard (fw 3.4)
  • and I guess any kindle model supporting AZW3

Partially supported (rendered but search not working) by:
  • Adobe Digital Editions >= 2.0 (*)
  • Kobo (which models?) (*)
(*) has internal hyphenation support

Unsupported by:
  • Sony
  • Adobe Digital Editions < 2

P.S.

I'm reading my 2nd soft hyphenated book: once again my thanks to the author!!!

Last edited by pirl8; 03-29-2013 at 04:23 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Partially supported (rendered but search not working) by:
  • Adobe Digital Editions >= 2.0 (*)
  • Kobo (which models?) (*)
(*) has internal hyphenation support
I have tried it on my Kobo Glo and Kobo Touch. Both run firmware 2.4.0. The display side of it works perfectly. When I can get my hands on my wife's Touch, I will try that as well. It is running a much older firmware so it might be different.

The search is interesting. If you select a word in the text, the search works. But, if you bring up the search dialog and type a word in, it doesn't. I assume the search isn't stripping the soft hyphens when doing the matching.

I think you should continue supporting epubs. There are limitations, but they are known. And where they work, it is useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #67
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I vote for supporting the 'spec', not the limitations.
FWIW Sigil's Author had the same attitude when asked to accommodate lame implementations of EPUB.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #68
sillypoint
sillypoint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
This is a most useful plug-in, kudos to the dev. Some day could you make it work for .mobi format too?
sillypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #69
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillypoint View Post
Some day could you make it work for .mobi format too?
Yes, some day I will try. As for now you could hyphenate epub or azw3 and then convert to mobi.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #70
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sillypoint

There are different mobi formats. The older formats up to mobi6 and the new mobi8/azw3.

The latter has been added since the introducion of new generation kindles (Kindle Touch/Non Touch, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire). Even Kindle Keyboard latest firmware supports it (not sure about DX)..

As far as I know, if you're reading a old format mobi with an eInk kindle, the soft hyphens trick does not work (even if you convert a soft-hyphenated ePub to mobi).

New kindles (I see you own a K4NT so this is your case) can read mobi files tailored in three ways:
  1. old format (mobi6, not supporting soft hyphens but compatible with any kindle device)
  2. new format (mobi8 supporting soft hyphens)
  3. "mixed" format (with both mobi6 and mobi8 versions)

They can also read the AZW3 format which is by all practical means a "new format" mobi with a different extension.

If you convert an hyphenated ePub to the "mixed" mobi format you will see hyphens on your reader because just the AZW3/mobi8 part is used. The AZW3 renderer on the kindle is indeed a distinct application.

In short:
  • convert your mobi to ePub;
  • add soft hyphens using the plugin;
  • and convert it back to mobi ...
    • click on "mobi output"
    • select "both" (or new) on the "mobi type" drop down menu in the "Kindle output" section
  • ... or convert to AZW3 (which is actually "pure" mobi8);
  • Upload back to your kindle;
  • Read!

Enjoy!

P.S.

Kindle Touch and Paperwhite owners can happily jailbreak their device and install JBPatch which adds "true" hyphenation support for old format mobis. This patch gives actually more than hyphenation and I can't use my kindles without it!

However it has a limitation: it can't hyphenate the newer mobi format and that's why this plugin is needed anyway!

Last edited by pirl8; 03-30-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #71
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Happy Easter everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364656282011.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	103690  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #72
sillypoint
sillypoint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
@sillypoint

There are different mobi formats. The older formats up to mobi6 and the new mobi8/azw3.

The latter has been added since the introducion of new generation kindles (Kindle Touch/Non Touch, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire). Even Kindle Keyboard latest firmware supports it (not sure about DX)..

As far as I know, if you're reading a old format mobi with an eInk kindle, the soft hyphens trick does not work (even if you convert a soft-hyphenated ePub to mobi).

New kindles (I see you own a K4NT so this is your case) can read mobi files tailored in three ways:
  1. old format (mobi6, not supporting soft hyphens but compatible with any kindle device)
  2. new format (mobi8 supporting soft hyphens)
  3. "mixed" format (with both mobi6 and mobi8 versions)

They can also read the AZW3 format which is by all practical means a "new format" mobi with a different extension.

If you convert an hyphenated ePub to the "mixed" mobi format you will see hyphens on your reader because just the AZW3/mobi8 part is used. The AZW3 renderer on the kindle is indeed a distinct application.

In short:
  • convert your mobi to ePub;
  • add soft hyphens using the plugin;
  • and convert it back to mobi ...
    • click on "mobi output"
    • select "both" (or new) on the "mobi type" drop down menu in the "Kindle output" section
  • ... or convert to AZW3 (which is actually "pure" mobi8);
  • Upload back to your kindle;
  • Read!

Enjoy!

P.S.

Kindle Touch and Paperwhite owners can happily jailbreak their device and install JBPatch which adds "true" hyphenation support for old format mobis. This patch gives actually more than hyphenation and I can't use my kindles without it!

However it has a limitation: it can't hyphenate the newer mobi format and that's why this plugin is needed anyway!

Thanks a lot pirl8 for your detailed instructions.

I'd like to share that I hyphenated a few epub files using this plugin and converted those to mobi using Kindle Previewer. The resultant hyphenated mobi files work fantastic.

So, for K4-NT users, this is what I'd suggest:
  1. Get the epub file of your ebook.
  2. "Hyphenate" using this plugin.
  3. Convert back to mobi using Kindle Previewer, or Calibre as mentioned by pirl8.
  4. Read.

Reading on Kindle is a much better experience now that those irritating white spaces which Kindle Previewer used to put in are gone.

Many thanks to the developers of Calibre and this plugin. Cheers!
sillypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #73
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
This is a GREAT plug-in, especially for languages with long words, e.g. German! Thanks a million to SauliusP!

Now I need to set up a workflow for my Kindle-3 Keyboard. I got the part how to hyphenate EPUB and convert it, say, azw3. What I can not find is how tell tell calibre to transfer the AZW3 files now to the Kindle, instead of the MOBI files (which in many cases I still have in the library).

There is the "Send Specific Format to Device" menu entry but it has two levels and it is cumbersome to use. So please, help me to set the permanent option to send the (hyphenated) AZW3 to the Kindle as the default,

Thanxx,

Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #74
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
What I can not find is how tell tell calibre to transfer the AZW3 files now to the Kindle
Go to Settings -> Plugin -> Device Interface

Select and configure your own device adding AZW3

(AFAIK, The Kindle Keyboard supports AZW3 only with latest firmware version).

Last edited by pirl8; 04-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #75
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Oh, yessss!

Thanks, mate!
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hypenation, hyphenate this, hyphenation, spaces