Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #76
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I find that since I started with electronic readers that I do not get intimidated by any of them since I never get to see the physical size of the book. Small or large they all look the same on the reader, thus no intimidation.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #77
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I finally completed my first book of 2013: A Scanner Darkly. I think I may just watch the movie. Its available free of charge to Prime Members on Amazon.
Hubby and I sat down to watch the movie last night. 1. Its out of sequence with the book, actually announcing a few early spoilers; 2. I fell asleep (Partly out of being tired and partly out of disgust at the movie futzing with the story line).

Anyway, I'm now reading Among Others . If I can finish by Saturday I'll be right on track with my goal.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #78
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I find that since I started with electronic readers that I do not get intimidated by any of them since I never get to see the physical size of the book. Small or large they all look the same on the reader, thus no intimidation.
The Kindle has a trail of dots under each book title which gives a rough indication of the length. I know enough to be wary of the ones that stretch way across the page, like Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell, or almost everything by Peter F. Hamilton or Neal Stephenson.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #79
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This is why I picked mostly a page goal where I would not think of avoiding books because they are too long. It gives a little more freedom.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #80
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
I never participated is a reading challenge, and I don't have the slightest idea if my goal of 50 books is realistic ( at least 10 in Dutch, and not more than 25 crime/mystery/thriller).

I already finished the first Dutch book ('Tonio, een requiemroman' by A.F.Th. van der Heijden), and one mystery by Agatha Christie.

However, I wonder if I will be able to keep up that pace. I had a week off from work after all, and during a average workweek, I seldom have more than an hour a day for reading...
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #81
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The Kindle has a trail of dots under each book title which gives a rough indication of the length. I know enough to be wary of the ones that stretch way across the page, like Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantell, or almost everything by Peter F. Hamilton or Neal Stephenson.
Yes, this.

I don't mind 600-800 page books in series that I already know and anticipate liking, but otherwise I sort of find myself dreading starting a book that will take me a week at best and - if it turns out to be less exciting - even longer.

Oddly enough I didn't have that issue when I was younger, in my teens or early 20s.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #82
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
I never participated is a reading challenge, and I don't have the slightest idea if my goal of 50 books is realistic ( at least 10 in Dutch, and not more than 25 crime/mystery/thriller).

I already finished the first Dutch book ('Tonio, een requiemroman' by A.F.Th. van der Heijden), and one mystery by Agatha Christie.

However, I wonder if I will be able to keep up that pace. I had a week off from work after all, and during a average workweek, I seldom have more than an hour a day for reading...
Welcome to the 2013 Reading Challenge.

If you can finish one book a week, you'll accomplish your goal.

Good Luck & Have fun!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hubby and I sat down to watch the movie last night. 1. Its out of sequence with the book, actually announcing a few early spoilers; 2. I fell asleep (Partly out of being tired and partly out of disgust at the movie futzing with the story line).

Anyway, I'm now reading Among Others . If I can finish by Saturday I'll be right on track with my goal.
I might give Among Others a go after I finish with Running with the Demon and then head back to book 2 of the Word & Void series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #84
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^How are you liking The Word & Void series? Definitely my favourite sub-series within Brooks' piles.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^How are you liking The Word & Void series? Definitely my favourite sub-series within Brooks' piles.
So far, it's mostly setup. But it's not bad so far. I'm thinking once John Ross gets to town, things will become more interesting.

I'm really curious how Brooks managed to make this part of the Shannara world and do so such that it's taking place first. But the only way to find out is to keep reading.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #86
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So far, it's mostly setup. But it's not bad so far. I'm thinking once John Ross gets to town, things will become more interesting.

I'm really curious how Brooks managed to make this part of the Shannara world and do so such that it's taking place first. But the only way to find out is to keep reading.
The Word & Void is a sub series of which series?

As to Among Others, I've only read a little bit so far, but I like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On Word & Void and how it links to other Brooks' series
Spoiler:
It, along with the Genesis of Shannara are the prequels to the entire Shannara series. I thought the link was a little cheesy, but it was fun and The Word & Void and Genesis of Shannara series were both very entertaining. I went back to read the original Shannara series and I found it a little flat and I had loved it when I first read it.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #88
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I liked the link even if it ended up a little cheesy in the end, but you'll have to read Genesis as well to get the full story. That hateful Brooks just making me buy more books. That said I enjoyed both Word and Genesis a lot.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #89
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
On Word & Void and how it links to other Brooks' series
Spoiler:
It, along with the Genesis of Shannara are the prequels to the entire Shannara series. I thought the link was a little cheesy, but it was fun and The Word & Void and Genesis of Shannara series were both very entertaining. I went back to read the original Shannara series and I found it a little flat and I had loved it when I first read it.
Thanks. I've not read any Terry Brooks, at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #90
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Consider yourself lucky. While I enjoyed a few of the sets along the way, I think I spent too much time (26 books) that could have been spent elsewhere.