Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #271
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Funny, I could have sworn the Wool Omnibus was DRM-Free at one time. All his other books are DRM-free on Kobo, except the Omnibus. I wonder why?
My version is DRM free. I have no idea if it was when I purchased it though.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #272
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Funny, I could have sworn the Wool Omnibus was DRM-Free at one time. All his other books are DRM-free on Kobo, except the Omnibus. I wonder why?
Somehow this is changing without my involvement! I wouldn't even know about it if it weren't for this thread. I just went and changed it back on the Omnibus. As soon as it goes live, it should be DRM free again.

It must've reset, because the version I got from Kobo after uploading was DRM free.
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #273
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
Somehow this is changing without my involvement! I wouldn't even know about it if it weren't for this thread. I just went and changed it back on the Omnibus. As soon as it goes live, it should be DRM free again.
I don't doubt it. I'm sure some retailers/publishers are using every possible opportunity to employ an "Oh, you mean you wanted your book to be DRM free?" reset philosophy. It would explain some of these mysterious DRM "resets." Anyway... thanks for taking the time to correct it whenever it's brought to your attention.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #274
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Excuse me, ma’am—?

Quoted from hughhowey.com

Quote:
Excuse me, ma’am—?
Posted on December 5, 2012 by Hugh C. Howey

The lady behind the information kiosk at the Barnes and Noble here in Charleston lifted an eyebrow. Just one.

“Need help finding something?” she asked.

“Do you have a book called Wool?”

(They didn’t. I’d already checked. I was just being that author who wants to see if it’s something they stock.)

“Hugh Howey,” she said. Immediately. With no hint of recognition, or I would have said: “Hey” in response. “Are you looking for the Omnibus?” she asked.

She said this like she’d had this exchange a few times. There was some eye-rolling going on. “Yes,” I said. “That would be nice.”

Clickety-clack on the keyboard, even though I knew the book wasn’t in stock. She was seeing about ordering it.

“I can order you a copy,” she said.

“Eh . . . no thanks. But I appreciate you looking it up.”

And so ended an exchange that went much differently than such exchanges in the past have gone. I’ve done this in a few stores, just to see if they can get my book in, and this was the first time someone knew of the book. And this is a Barnes and Noble, where they rarely stock books based on customer demand (they’ll tell a customer they’re better off ordering it from Amazon. I’ve had this response a few times).

Anyway, it was a pretty cool moment for me. It means customers are asking about the book. It also means these stores are missing out on sales!

A step in the right direction. Maybe more soon?
This entry was posted in Writing by Hugh C. Howey Bookmark the permalink.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #275
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wool Omnibus is DRM-free again. Thanks!
My Kobo Touch downoaded the new version without DRM during the last update today. Now the TOC is working, too.

Now reading Wool 5. Can't put it away (and I go back to reading now)!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #276
LwPatricks
Author of Shadow of Wrath
LwPatricks began at the beginning.

I finished Wool 1 and 2. Fantastic series. The author is great with descriptions and you feel yourself absorbed in this world that he's created. One of the great indies out there.
LwPatricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #277
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished Wool Omnibus yesterday evening. I loved the story, and how it is written. And I hope there will be more to read, I am so curious how life goes on there now! (Maybe that's what Wool 9 will be about?! I see that Hugh is writing on Wool 9)

I immediately started First Shift before I went to bed. This is dangerous stuff, it keeps me reading and away from sleeping!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #278
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Just bought two copies more for christmas gifts.. People I know need to enjoy what I enjoyed!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #279
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Just bought two copies more for christmas gifts.. People I know need to enjoy what I enjoyed!
I've already given it to one sister for her birthday. The other sister bought it as soon as she read my review (so no gift for her), and I'll be buying the trad published paperback when it comes out for my mother who isn't in e-Land yet.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #280
Turnstone
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I've already given it to one sister for her birthday. The other sister bought it as soon as she read my review (so no gift for her), and I'll be buying the trad published paperback when it comes out for my mother who isn't in e-Land yet.
I know that my dad will love the story (and my brother, too). But they only read in German, and don't have an ebook-reader. I will get them the paper book when it is available in Germany (around March 2013)!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #281
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Any suggestions on who should play the heroine?
Quote:
As for the heroine, I can't think of a specific actress.. But I would like to see Jeff Bridges as Solo!
Personally, I think Michelle Rodriguez would be perfect for the role of Juliette.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #282
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Personally, I think Michelle Rodriguez would be perfect for the role of Juliette.
Agreed! You don't get much tougher looking than her.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #283
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Based on this thread bought the omnibus yesterday and started it this morning in a waiting room. It has gotten me a bit obsessed. Love it when a book does that. Going to call an early day and go get on the couch and read. Warm rainy day and I am sure I can find a cat for companionship

Going to be a good afternoon
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #284
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I got the first one on Amazon when it was free....Forgot I had it, and had not read it. It's on my TBR page on my Nook Color (Mantano Reader). Will be reading it very soon. And with all the positive reviews, I really can't wait!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM   #285
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
..Which got changed to one book only. Apparently they had one left, since it is sold out from the publisher? That must be a good sign for Hugh if it is..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote