Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Which patches do you consider most useful/most important?
Fix Reader layout and add hyphenation support for .mobi/.azw2 books (probably not for KF8/.azw3) 29 42.65%
Change display margins 29 42.65%
Customize reader font sizes 27 39.71%
Customize progress display while reading books 34 50.00%
Look up words in all applicable dictionaries, instead of only one 19 27.94%
Support all orientations in the Java UI (including upside-down) 10 14.71%
Password-protect books 6 8.82%
Automatically install the developer keys when required 15 22.06%
Modify Collection Count Behavior (account for nested collections) 8 11.76%
Disable Special Offers 26 38.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
[POLL] JBPatch for Paperwhite - patch priorities

So... good news. I finally got my Paperwhite today. Didn't get around to using it very much, so I can't really judge whether some of the options don't make sense.

Anyway, providing patches for the PW will most probably require quite some effort, because every single patch will essentially have to be adapted to the new runtime environment.

In order to get a rough idea of the priorities to set... Which one of the patches do you consider most important/useful?

I'll start with implementing (or at least looking at) the patches in the order of votes

Thanks for participating!

PS: While you can select more than one option, please don't just blindly tick everything - that would ruin the usefulness of the poll

Last edited by ixtab; 11-02-2012 at 07:11 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
ixtab
By disable special offers are you meaning the "New on Kindle" at the bottom of the main page when in cover view?
Oh and great to hear you've finally got your paperwhite.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
ixtab
By disable special offers are you meaning the "New on Kindle" at the bottom of the main page when in cover view?
Oh and great to hear you've finally got your paperwhite.
No, I mean the ads of the SO version. IIRC, you have a japanese one, so this wouldn't apply to you anyway (AFAIK, the SO versions aren't sold in Japan).

To disable the annoying "recommendations" at the bottom of the screen, use the parental controls setting, and disable the Kindle Store.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-02-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Confused Akirainblack with somebody else :)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Ixtab, you're wonderful! Hope you enjoy your Paperwhite. The single best plugin you've created to enhance e-reading is the Fix Reader layout and add hyphenation support, so I voted this way.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Ah, cool thanks ixtab.
Mine is a UK 3g, not sure where you got Japan from. (well other than the name coming from a Manga film)
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage

So happy to read you finally got yours. I've been checking this board every day like a crazy person wondering if it had arrived.

Can't wait for hyphenation and multiple dictionary support! A huge thank you in advance, ixtab!!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
cristbo
Uno mas
cristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle PaperWhite
Hi good news

I hope mine along this month

I also voted;-))
cristbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I voted too, nice that it accepts multiple choice .

Just a short, annoying little question : custom fonts.....? See, I don't even dare finish it..

Last edited by aceflor; 11-02-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: poor, poor syntax !!!!
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I voted too, nice that it accepts multiple choice .

Just a short, annoying little question : custom fonts.....? See, I don't even dare finishing it..
Custom fonts are (hopefully) something that doesn't need a binary patch, but only a few changes to the fontconfig configuration. But as I wrote here, that's rather low on my personal priority list (I just don't feel the urge to read my books in Comic MS , and the default fonts are perfectly readable for me), so don't hold your breath.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Custom fonts are (hopefully) something that doesn't need a binary patch, but only a few changes to the fontconfig configuration. But as I wrote here, that's rather low on my personal priority list (I just don't feel the urge to read my books in Comic MS , and the default fonts are perfectly readable for me), so don't hold your breath.
Oh, you and NiLuJe, you just don't understand my priorities anyway , but hey, my birthday is coming soon, just sayin'
Old 11-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab: That makes me think: what's the issue with your Fonts Hack kindlet on the PW? (I haven't tried running it, but given the fact that JBPatch & CM's UI looked mostly fine on the PW, I figured I had to ask ;D).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
aceflor
Wizard

aha... I see you might be bribable after all....
Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Oh, you and NiLuJe, you just don't understand my priorities anyway , but hey, my birthday is coming soon, just sayin'
Hehe... I think it's just a different mindset. I can only speak for myself, but I'm assuming that it's similar for the other "nerds" around here: the fun part is to understand how the system works, and to modify it to work the way that we want it to work, instead of how it was originally programmed. The end result isn't really all that important (but of course, it's beneficial if that result proves to be useful - and I agree with AntoineKamel: if I were to pick a single patch, I'd take the "alignment and hyphenation" one, because it has a dramatic effect on readability [yes, I actually use the Kindle to read books... at times ] ). Think about it like playing with Lego bricks: I always had more fun assembling the toys, rather than actually playing with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: That makes me think: what's the issue with your Fonts Hack kindlet on the PW? (I haven't tried running it, but given the fact that JBPatch & CM's UI looked mostly fine on the PW, I figured I had to ask ;D).
There isn't really an issue -- well, at least, I hope so. Just like the JBPatch UI, the FontHack UI should continue to work without problems. But I'm not sure if the underlying methods to modify the fontconfig configuration work as-is on the PW, or if they need to be adapted. In short: nobody has really tried/tested it yet on the PW, and therefore I'm not releasing it for that device. As simple as that
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
aceflor
Wizard

oh come on ixtab, admit it, it's not that you are not interested, its that you're just not good enough for that Patch (of course it's a trick, but a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do)
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
oh come on ixtab, admit it, it's not that you are not interested, its that you're just not good enough for that Patch (of course it's a trick, but a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do)
You don't even closely know, how hard it's to do JBPatch-suitable patch for PW. It was hard on KT, but Amazon decided to bring more pain and gore into this process with release of PW firmware. Warriois trained in bloody battles with obfuscated Java bytecode of Kindle's firmware are condescending to any provocation
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote