Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #136
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Swipe? On the PW? No swiping here, just press the on/off button and start reading.
After I turn it on, I have to swipe the bottom of the screen to leave the special offers page.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #137
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Firmware version number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnx88 View Post
Tell you what. I will return my kindle pw, and see if the new one still has that huge splotch you see in my post above.

If the new pw, still has it, i will definitely get a regular kindle and recommend the same. At least until they acknowledge this problem and do something to fix it and not just act like I have to jump through hoops to get this shoddy lighting to work or "train" myself to "not notice it".
What is your firmware version number? Its possible a new firmware version may become available shortly and will fix all these problems. As I remember my Kindle Fire and my Kindle Kbd WiFi all had numerous firmware version upgrades which fixed all the prior problems.

Before returning it, I'd recommend calling Amazon CS to see if a new firmware version will be introduced soon.

One can see if PW firmware updates are available here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680

I notice none are available yet for the PW but I do see an upgrade for the Kindle Fire HD 7" there to version 7.1.5. That model was only shipped 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #138
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would caution against concluding anything about contrast or screen quality on such a small sample of devices. There are always some percentage of lemons, and this forum doesn't represent a random sample, we are self-selecting. And we might expect more lemons among the first production runs.

The swipe to unlock is BECAUSE the power button is easy to turn on (and is a feature of nearly every mobile device, including Nook). Power buttons SHOULD be easy to turn on (for accessibility). But the Kindle Touch design was flawed, because it didn't have an unlock gesture. After having my Kindle Touch turn on a couple of times while resting in my jacket pocket, pick a book at random and start changing pages just as randomly, I finally set a 1 digit unlock code, which solved the problem. I guess I won't have to do that with KPW.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #139
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This is surprising! You would think the PW supposedly being the ultimate eReader they would have used the same screens. I know eInk varies but the K4B screens reports have been pretty much consistent with improved lighter background and contrast. I was expecting the PW to be even better.
As I understand it you have now two layers between your eyes and the eInk screen! At least two, you may count the light diffuser two layers. The eInk needs to be much much better to show clearer screen, more contrast and darker text.
The room light when the PW light is off has to go through more layers and is diffused by the light diffuser layer.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #140
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
After I turn it on, I have to swipe the bottom of the screen to leave the special offers page.
Ah, mine's a non-SO version.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #141
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
To add my .02 - I've been reading on my Kindle Touch since they came out, with the exception of a month long trial of a Nook with Glo Light. I sold the Nook for two reasons - didn't like the unevenness and color of the lighting, and it was too big a pain to transfer my Kindle books to the Nook.

With that history in mind - I LOVE the NSO Paperwhite!!! The light is SO much better than what was in the Nook - I truly will keep it on all the time. The screen looks much better than my Kindle Touch - darker fonts and whiter background (even with the light all the way down). I certainly notice the better resolution. I do see a little of the unevenness people mention above - but trust me, it is NOTHING compared to the Nook.

My only complaint is it is a pain to have to go through two touches to adjust the brightness. I imagine doing that a lot in different lighting conditions (well-lit desk at work, living room at home, in bed, etc.) and adjusting the light to match the conditions makes a big difference.

So for those concerned about some of the comments above - either they got defective Kindles or had much higher expectations than I had. After reading for about 30 minutes with this I can't imagine going back to my Touch.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #142
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
WOW, you're looks fantastic compared to mine!!
+1 Mine is much more uneven! looks like headlights at the bottom of the page...
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #143
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Regarding swipe to unlock - I hope that is not needed when opening the cover. My expectation is that I will never see the screen saver ads (unless I want to) because I'll close the cover to turn off the device and when I open the cover I should find myself right where I left off in the book with the light on and no need to swipe.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #144
schulzmc
Zealot

One more thing to add - the sleep function on the Kindle case is a wonderful feature, and I also love the ability to see how long until I finish a chapter. VERY nice additions.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #145
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Kind of surprised by how heavy it feels (in comparison to the non touch)
But it is noticeably smaller and lighter than the Touch. Not by a lot but it is noticeable.

I'm happy with mine so far. I completely forget about the lights at the bottom when I start reading.

And I like the fact that the extra light lets me use smaller fonts.

Last edited by BenG; 10-02-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #146
schulzmc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
But it is noticeably smaller and lighter than the Touch. Not by a lot but it is noticeable.

I'm happy with mine so far. I completely forget about the lights at the bottom when I start reading.
Mine is almost exactly the same size and weight as my Touch.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #147
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminose View Post
So....... Is anyone advocating getting a regular Kindle over the PW? I've been waiting weeks to purchase an e-ink reader because I was dead set on waiting for the PW. Would anyone advocate a regular Kindle plus a lighted cover instead?
If you're getting a light too - get the paperwhite.

Not having to deal with batteries, extra bulkiness, worrying about where you left the light, etc etc is a godsend.

You'll most likely experience more uneven lighting with a book light as well.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #148
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
So for those concerned about some of the comments above - either they got defective Kindles or had much higher expectations than I had. After reading for about 30 minutes with this I can't imagine going back to my Touch.
That makes me feel a lot better, thank you. I'm really looking forward to getting mine, and was disappointed with the initial user reviews. I think I'll be fine with it, I've used a K3 and K4 with lighted covers in the past.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #149
schulzmc
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelysarcasm View Post
That makes me feel a lot better, thank you. I'm really looking forward to getting mine, and was disappointed with the initial user reviews. I think I'll be fine with it, I've used a K3 and K4 with lighted covers in the past.
I tried the lighted cover with my Touch and gave up because that was so uneven. That's when I gave the Nook a try.

I can't wait to lay in bed next to my wife tonight and be able to read without having to resort to the big overhead light being on!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #150
BenG
Home Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
Regarding swipe to unlock - I hope that is not needed when opening the cover. My expectation is that I will never see the screen saver ads (unless I want to) because I'll close the cover to turn off the device and when I open the cover I should find myself right where I left off in the book with the light on and no need to swipe.
When you open the cover, the kindle opens to the special offers page.