Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
New Kids Kindle WILL have ads if exit kids mode

In the past, I've bought a kids kindle bundle because it's a cost effective way to get a kindle without ads, and the cover. But I just read this on the page for the new basic kids kindle bundle:

"5: Will my kid see Ads while using this device?

Kindle Kids is automatically set up for your kid to enjoy an ad-free experience. However if you exit Amazon Kids using a passcode, sponsored screensavers will be displayed on the device's lockscreen."

So that's a bummer!
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:37 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Hopefully Paperwhite Kids will not get the same treatment, retrofitted via firmware update?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Hopefully Paperwhite Kids will not get the same treatment, retrofitted via firmware update?
I don't think they would reverse one that you already bought - the kids paperwhite was sold as ad-free, and it's listed that way on the "My Devices" page. People would be up in arms if they reversed it. But looks like that's what they'll do for future purchases.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Well they obviously finally figured out it was adults buying the kids version to save a few bucks. lol Just best to pay the extra $20 and buy the big boy/girl version. 😂
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Or you could try your luck with calling in customer service and asking them to remove the ads. Although I think they only do this for free when you're in a country where there's no Amazon service.

I did this on my 2 Kindles and the rep didn't ask me anything. I just asked if there's a way to remove the ads and they immediately offered to remove them for free.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
lthough I think they only do this for free when you're in a country where there's no Amazon service.

nope, can't agree with that.
i'm in germany and bought a kindle paperwhite (PW4) around 1 year ago. when i contacted the support over chat here in germany, they told me "pay us 20€ and we disable the ads". i then tried the english chat support and they removed the ads for me for free without any hassle.

before that, i had ads on my device. so it hasn't really to do with if it is available in your country or not. i think it has more to do with which human you get connected to in the support. some do it for free, others want money from you. but asking nice and friendly is the option to go imho.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:25 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also if you deregister a kindle and sell/give it to someone else (3 years later) who registers it Amazon UK are adamant you have to pay to get the adverts removed. Which they market as a feature you can enable!

Dishonest marketing. But MS now doing ads on BOUGHT copies of Win10.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Where are the Windows 10 ads displayed?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
In Explorer and also the widgety thing hard to turn off near notifications on Start bar.

And of course the obnoxious Edge Home Page.

They ask about personalised ads at install and sometimes at log on.
There are also a load of privacy settings by default no privacy (illegal in EU), hard to find.

They only seem interested in selling and supporting so called "cloud" services.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
In Explorer and also the widgety thing hard to turn off near notifications on Start bar.

And of course the obnoxious Edge Home Page.

They ask about personalised ads at install and sometimes at log on.
There are also a load of privacy settings by default no privacy (illegal in EU), hard to find.

They only seem interested in selling and supporting so called "cloud" services.
Here I sit using Windows 10. I don't see these ads. Where are they?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:21 PM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Take the Windows 10 and other Microsoft issues to the Windows subforum, please.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote