Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Saw the 6.8" Kindle for the first time

I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw a 6.8" Kindle for the first time. They actually didn't have this one in display mode and I was able to give it a very short (less than a minute) trial. For a nearly 6.8" reader it's small and sleek and pretty light. Screen looked good. (I didn't think to try the warm light option.) Page turns were very fast. These were the good points. But the margins were almost a 1/4" on each side and that was at the smallest margin setting. Why do they do that? I don't know if there's a workaround (and I'm not in the market for a Kindle) but those wide margins kind of spoiled it for me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:23 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw a 6.8" Kindle for the first time. They actually didn't have this one in display mode and I was able to give it a very short (less than a minute) trial. For a nearly 6.8" reader it's small and sleek and pretty light. Screen looked good. (I didn't think to try the warm light option.) Page turns were very fast. These were the good points. But the margins were almost a 1/4" on each side and that was at the smallest margin setting. Why do they do that? I don't know if there's a workaround (and I'm not in the market for a Kindle) but those wide margins kind of spoiled it for me.
The workaround is to put the negative margins in the css. Works for azw3, not sure if it works for kfx.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The workaround is to put the negative margins in the css. Works for azw3, not sure if it works for kfx.
That also works for KFX.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:34 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That also works for KFX.
But nothing you can do in the Kindle itself? I remember in the older Kindles there was a configuration change that would work.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:57 PM   #5
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I believe the current instore ones can be jailbreaked. Install Koreader. Done. I almost tempted to get one for that reason. But I'd probably wait and get a Libra 2, and avoid all the fuss for a few dollars more.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 11:37 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But nothing you can do in the Kindle itself? I remember in the older Kindles there was a configuration change that would work.
No, unless you jailbreak it.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:33 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I believe the current instore ones can be jailbreaked. Install Koreader. Done. I almost tempted to get one for that reason. But I'd probably wait and get a Libra 2, and avoid all the fuss for a few dollars more.
Quote:
No, unless you jailbreak it.
I "jailbroke" a Kindle once but something didn't take (I was able to clear revert to factory) but I'm always afraid I'm going to brick them. I don't even patch Kobos any more (and that's pretty easy).

Looking at the 6.8" Paperwhite and 7" Oasis next to each other, it made me wish PocketBook had gone with the "traditional" shape for their Era.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:06 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Yes, jailbreaking and then installing stuff on Kindles is fiddly. Once Koreader is on, it's plain sailing. You need never see the default Amazon UI again. Bit getting to that point...meh. Li

ke I said, I think I'd rather spend a few more bucks, and get the Libra 2 which has buttons and is slightly larger too.

Though apparently the PW5 has a great battery. But the Libra 2 orange light is really nice. I'm on Onyx at the moment, but if they dilute the orangeness of their light, I will probably change to Kobo. Kobo are doing a lot of things right these days.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:43 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All Kindles have wide margins. That's what Amazon wants.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:44 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All Kindles have wide margins. That's what Amazon wants.
I know. I have no idea why, though.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I know. I have no idea why, though.
Maybe to more mimic the margins in pBooks. I too find it annoying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe to more mimic the margins in pBooks. I too find it annoying.
I started to find it annoying after I bought my first Kobo. Before I didn't know any better and was completely content with the Kindle margins. I guess most Kindle users are the same way. And then there are a few folks who really prefer wider margins, no matter what they read on.
Old 07-28-2022, 01:10 PM   #13
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Wide margins help me to read faster, less eye travel. Depending on the material, I make the text into a narrow column, like an English newspaper.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
Wide margins help me to read faster, less eye travel. Depending on the material, I make the text into a narrow column, like an English newspaper.
I read for pleasure, so it doesn't matter how fast or slow I do it. The less text on the screen, the more often you'll have to turn pages and this constant need to turn pages would drive me nuts.

I still want a little bit of a margin, but not so wide as the smallest Kindle margins are.

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-28-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I still want a little bit of a margin, but not so wide as the smallest Kindle margins are.
Same here. I don't like it right up to the edge, but much smaller than the 1/4" margins I saw on the 6.8" Kindle Paperwhite. But I think you're right, this became an issue after I started using other eReaders, like Tolinos and PocketBooks. (Maybe not completely, because I remember using the hack on my no-touch Basic Kindle, so I guess it was bothering even when I mainly used just the Kindle.)