Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
rando
rando began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro
Adobe Titles

When I display books on my PC in ADE I see titles, auethors, etc. But on my PEZ I see fille names, which are mostly useless. Any ideas?
rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
When I display books on my PC in ADE I see titles, auethors, etc. But on my PEZ I see fille names, which are mostly useless. Any ideas?
Request an change for the future and meantime you will have to rename the files. I wish the title and author were listed but they are not. By the way, they are listed in FB2 and Wolf formats.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
rando

Does Adobe know about this? Maybe they have a fix.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not Adobe that needs to fix the ADE bugs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Does Adobe know about this? Maybe they have a fix.
It's how Jinke chose to implement things not an Adobe problem.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Do other EInk readers show the title of ePub ebooks?

The ePub format does not make it easy to find the title. You have to extract the OPF file from the zipped ePub and then find the title within the OPF. Calibre can extract metadata from many ebook formats, see ebook-meta, but it is written in python which isn't installed on most EInk devices.

In the case of ePub (and PDF) I think ADE's SDK should include a tool for extracting the title from an ebook. It would then to up to Jinke (say) to use the tool for ebook listings.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
rando

It seems strange that there is software capable of giving us a nice display of what is in the file, but we are expected to rename every file we download into something that makes some sort of sense. This can hardly be desirable to anyone; not the manufacturer (though it may have been easy or expedient), the developers at Adobe (who have us drag-and-drop TITLES into our device), and certainly not the users (IMHO). If no one has found a fix, do we know that anyone has tried? Manufacturers and software vendors who do not hear complaints are unlikely to be highly motivated to provide fixes.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It seems strange that there is software capable of giving us a nice display of what is in the file, but we are expected to rename every file we download into something that makes some sort of sense. This can hardly be desirable to anyone; not the manufacturer (though it may have been easy or expedient), the developers at Adobe (who have us drag-and-drop TITLES into our device), and certainly not the users (IMHO). If no one has found a fix, do we know that anyone has tried? Manufacturers and software vendors who do not hear complaints are unlikely to be highly motivated to provide fixes.
I think Jinke will fix this. It is a left over from the way it used to work before ADE and how it still works on some other file formats such as PDB, HTML etc. They have been working hard fixing significant functionality issues and after that I hope they will continue to work on ascetic issues. For you information they display the title and the author on two lines on my V3 for FB2 and Wolf formats.

Dale
Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

The ePub format does not make it easy to find the title. You have to extract the OPF file from the zipped ePub and then find the title within the OPF. Calibre can extract metadata from many ebook formats, see ebook-meta, but it is written in python which isn't installed on most EInk devices.

In the case of ePub (and PDF) I think ADE's SDK should include a tool for extracting the title from an ebook. It would then to up to Jinke (say) to use the tool for ebook listings.
They do get the title and author in the about for the eBook so they do know how to extract it. Adobe or somebody is already squirreling away all sorts of data on the reader. There is a directory called .adobe_digital_reader that gets created and in addition the inside of the created folder Digital Editions there may be two folders called Annotations and Thumbnails that get created.

Dale
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They do get the title and author in the about for the eBook so they do know how to extract it.
This is after the ebook is opened, which can take multiple seconds and there are eight ebooks per page. So this approach can't be used in real time while forming the list of ebooks. I agree that something like a cache of authors and titles would work, but it is a significant change to the current "extract when making the listing" approach. I think it is possible that the metadata can be extracted fast enough from an epub to use it in real time, but what is needed first is a C program (say) that does this and nothing else. By the way, it is definitely possible to extract the author and title from a MOBI in real time, so at a minimum Jinke should add MOBI to the class of metadata-visible formats.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Should be an easy fix. In linux you get the author name with command below. Surely the Adobe SDK has a call to extract the author info from an epub. They just need to add it to the bookshelf app. I suspect its as was said earlier, its one of those things that are on the list they just haven't gotten to it yet.

command
unzip -p The_Ark.epub *.opf | grep 'creator'

output
<dc:creator opf:role="aut">Morrison, Boyd</dc:creator>

Last edited by derrell; 09-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I don't know about all of them. The Sony 505 and the Opus do, the Opus also shows the cover in front of the title and author.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-24-2009 at 09:48 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is after the ebook is opened, which can take multiple seconds and there are eight ebooks per page. So this approach can't be used in real time while forming the list of ebooks. I agree that something like a cache of authors and titles would work, but it is a significant change to the current "extract when making the listing" approach. I think it is possible that the metadata can be extracted fast enough from an epub to use it in real time, but what is needed first is a C program (say) that does this and nothing else. By the way, it is definitely possible to extract the author and title from a MOBI in real time, so at a minimum Jinke should add MOBI to the class of metadata-visible formats.
Sure, as I say they are already grabbing all sorts of stuff and putting it in files on the system. After the first time there is not reason not to have it. I believe there should be an about available from the eBook browser. Instead of tapping the number for the book you should also be able to hold the button and get the about stuff including all the meta data.

Dale
Old 09-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
unzip -p The_Ark.epub *.opf | grep 'creator'
So the "C program" I was asking for is unzip. This probably is fast enough to do in-line every time the bookshelf comes across an ePub.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:27 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's how Jinke chose to implement things not an Adobe problem.
Has it been confirmed it's ALL Jinkie devices or just those sold under the Astak brand? The question needs to be, do other Jinke made devices have this same issue? That might help ID the reason for the issue.

Maybe the firmware is not dry enough yet to read the metadata properly?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote