Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Is it possible to add the extra games from HD?

I recently read a lot of comparisons between the Aura and the Aura HD and finally made a choice for the Aura for a few reasons. Price (cheaper $99 sale price), menu navigation (one instead of a couple) and size (smaller less bulky).

This is a gift for Christmas so I haven't had a chance to actually use it aside from what I played with in the store.

I recently noticed that the AuraHD has two more games than the Aura (Solitaire and Word Scramble) I'm not sure if both have sketchpad. Maybe a new firmware update will allow the Aura to have these?

For now my question .. Is it possible to use the AuraHD firmware upgrade to pull out those two games and add them into the firmware for the Aura so that they may be accessible? In theory it seems like it would work but I'm not sure if the firmware upgrades contain that information or not? Anyone?
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
An interesting idea. It might work as you describe, with some minor adjustments to deal with the difference in screen size. In the mean time, you might try Sergey's pbchess addon, which includes a notepad and Coolreader, as well as more games. It is implemented as part of a launcher program which was for standalone QT programs as well.

The Kobo Luancher
An install guide (with other tips).

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-21-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'd be hesitant to try the Aura HD firmware on the Aura...there are a few significant differences between the two--screen size as Ken mentioned and the Aura HD has an infra-red screen while the Aura has a capacitive screen...which I think would mean that the instructions to record touch would be very different. (Note--I'm not a programmer, so this is speculation on my part.)
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
I recently noticed that the AuraHD has two more games than the Aura (Solitaire and Word Scramble)
How did you notice this?

Quote:
For now my question .. Is it possible to use the AuraHD firmware upgrade to pull out those two games and add them into the firmware for the Aura so that they may be accessible? In theory it seems like it would work but I'm not sure if the firmware upgrades contain that information or not? Anyone?
All Kobo eink readers make use of the same software applications. If it really is the case that the Aura does not offer those to games then the software itself decides this based on the model. But my guess would be that the Aura has the same games as the other models. But since I do not have an Aura HD, I do of course not know.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I recently noticed that the AuraHD has two more games than the Aura (Solitaire and Word Scramble) I'm not sure if both have sketchpad. Maybe a new firmware update will allow the Aura to have these?
I just checked 3 different Kobos (Aura6", AuraHD and AuraH2O) all running fw 3.12. They all have exactly the same items under Settings - Beta Features, namely
Chess
Sketch Pad
Sudoku
Web Browser
Unblock It
Solitaire
Word Scramble

I don't use any of them myself but they are all present on each device.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
Thanks, interesting that they all have the same items it does not say that under the specifications on their website it only shows chess and sudoku. It's very difficult to find out what's included in the new firmware updates on the website.

Sketchpad is good. It shouldn't be too hard to add a notepad. Or maybe it already has one I don't know.

I agree with the two Aura and HD versions not being compatible, I didn't know they detected touch differently.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
There are very few differences in functionality between any of the devices newer than the Glo assuming you are using current firmware (6" Aura has something but I can't remember what it is currently).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I thought the Aura had the ability to do a chapter refresh as opposed to a 6 screen refresh.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I thought the Aura had the ability to do a chapter refresh as opposed to a 6 screen refresh.
It did at one time. It seems to be broken in fw 3.12 as it is currently refreshing every page-turn when 'chapter' is selected.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
That was it. Thank you Peter!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It did at one time. It seems to be broken in fw 3.12 as it is currently refreshing every page-turn when 'chapter' is selected.
That's odd, I have 3.12 on my Aura 6" and it does not do a full refresh every page when set to refresh every chapter. It does appear to be broken though as it isn't doing a refresh at the start of a new chapter either.

Edit: tried this on a different book and it does refresh each chapter.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 12-22-2014 at 07:32 AM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
That's odd, I have 3.12 on my Aura 6" and it does not do a full refresh every page when set to refresh every chapter. It does appear to be broken though as it isn't doing a refresh at the start of a new chapter either.

Edit: tried this on a different book and it does refresh each chapter.
Any thing different between the books? Both epubs, or kEpubs? If kEpubs are they both either side loaded via calibre or direct download from Kobo?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Any thing different between the books? Both epubs, or kEpubs? If kEpubs are they both either side loaded via calibre or direct download from Kobo?
I think there you have it. the 'chapter' setting doesn't work for epubs, but it does seem to be working correctly on a sideloaded kepub I just tried - assuming 'chapter' really means 'new html file'.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
In my case both were direct download kEpups from Kobo, no idea why it wasn't working on one of them.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote