Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
This is the right place.
When closer to ready to turn this lose on the world, I will just build an index to the posts of this thread on our tools index wiki page.
If you have similar problems with qemu, stick your nice little set of notes here also.

As long as this is just you and I ....
Well, we know where we put things.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, on Gentoo, the realpath package used is the one from Debian.

Well, not really used anymore, because realpath is in coreutils now (since January of this year, according to the ChangeLog [coreutils-8.15])... .

I'm starting to realize that the only distro that manages to somewhat keep up with Gentoo ~arch on the bleeding edge side of things is Arch...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The KeK Pachinko machine now has a description, see the updated:
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_reference.xhtml

The analogy seems appropriate since the author of auFS, Junjiro R. Okajima, is Japanese.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #34
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
welcome to the layer cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The KeK Pachinko machine now has a description, see the updated:
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_reference.xhtml

The analogy seems appropriate since the author of auFS, Junjiro R. Okajima, is Japanese.
Fascinating. I'll give it another go-over when the time is right but highly exciting stuff. Well I think so anyway.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Fascinating. I'll give it another go-over when the time is right but highly exciting stuff. Well I think so anyway.
Or, wait a day...
I might get the appendix A technical stuff finished up by then.
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #36
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm. Getting an error in SB2

[SB2 simple kindle] simon@twobob kindle-buildroot $ sudo ls

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libsb2.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
a.out dev lib lost+found opt sys test.c var bin etc linuxrc mnt sbin test usr

(I picked ls at random to demonstrate it does actually call a command, the error as stated is non-critical to continued operation)

I believe from my digging it's to do with the version of qemu I used. Ill check I used the right one.
I'll have more of a read but thought I would document the snag.

There are reports around this particular issue whilst it should be fairly trivial to indent it...
It may be more sensible to just trash everything and start from scratch to be double sure it's 100% Kek compliant... perhaps when the docs are a bit more fleshy I'll do a complete documented walk though

Ho-hum, bedtime.

EDIT: I never fixed this IIRC. I trashed and moved to 32 bit mint and it all went away

Last edited by twobob; 08-07-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: added that it was probably all my fault
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #37
knc1
Going Viral

Or, either sb2 or qemu may be trapped in the details of the transition from ld-linux.so.2 to ld-linux.so.3

I can not describe those details now, it is one of the future speed bumps in the project path that I was going to deal with when (if) I hit them.

Reads as if you got there first.
Take good notes while working on the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

grumble, grumble, grumble . . . .
I was going to leave the filters and profiles as hand generated things until some later date in the future.
Was

But it seems that according to:
FEIST PUBLICATIONS, INC. v. RURAL TEL. SERVICE CO., 499 U.S. 340 (1991)
they are copyrightable.

So I need to come up with a script or file representation that allows for the inclusion of a copyright statement on what I though of as "data files".
Not too bad, just takes a few hours of typing to pull the commands out of a Lua configuration table (which can hold the copyright statement in a comment). Just something I didn't want to do prior to the initial release.

But the news gets worse . . . .
It seems that the implementation of this "Pachinko style" image filtering may be patentable.
How do you do "community contributions" to something patentable without tons of legal paperwork getting in the way of accumplishing anything useful?
Another, not so minor, speed bump in the path of forward progress.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #39
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Well, there is an Australian patent for the WHEEL, so how do I file a patent for FIRE?

Some of these patents and copyrights are ridiculous.

There are even some patents on some MATHEMATICS now, since they started allowing software patents. Just using a math formula could cost royalties.

The question is how do we deal with copyrighted DATA here though... Difficult question.

Regarding the possible pachinko filter patent, I have had success finding prior art (which the original patented work may be a derivitave). It helps to study related university thesis papers, and also other very old technical literature. I have traced some of the state-of-the-art compression indexing logic back to papers from 1954.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Luckly, JRO (the author of auFS) and I correspond regularly.
I have written to him on this "patent" question.
Besides the fact that he is the sole author, I know that he sells customized versions of the system to commercial machine manufacturers.

I suspect that he has already paid for a legal opinion on this subject, will be interesting to read his reply. (Japan and USA are very similar systems.)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral

The Windows binaries of the most recent CodeSorcery/MentorGraphics public tool-chain seem to be the popular download.
With the Linux binaries running in second place.

Hope that means somebody is getting some use out of this pool of resources.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #42
twobob

that reminds me... Boots to windows.

I will indeed keep notes when I a find solution, enough KDevelop for one day though.

Time to coax Visual Studio 2010 into some subservience, see how this experience differs... Seemingly I only have 4zillian updates and my computer is insecure. How dare I turn it off for more than 24 hours.

Code:
"Warning: Your PC has been inactive for more than month: 
Bill gates has been notified, Would you like to repent"
[YES] / [NO]
I'll grab a copy of that winwoes build tyvm
Kek ahoy.

(It took 14 minutes to start a 4 Core machine, with uber Ram, through to boot software init completion) pitiful. Makes the kindle look good!

OFFTOPIC: using cl direct
C:\Users\cyberman\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\balsamic\balsamic>cl bal
samic.obj /balsamic.exe /link /LIBPATH:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Wi
ndows\v7.0A\Lib"

UGLY!!!!

Last edited by twobob; 07-03-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: legibility, satire
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Time to coax Visual Studio 2010 into some subservience, see how this experience differs... Seemingly I only have 4zillian updates and my computer is insecure. How dare I turn it off for more than 24 hours.
Should the Eclipse CDT binaries for Linux, Windows, Mac be part of the "Kit"? (CDT - with "C" development tools)

Not my favorite development environment, but it does run on all of the three most common systems (and others).

Having a "base" of common resources for all the "Kit Users" makes it easier for one user to reproduce the results (or problems) of any other user.

Adding a common IDE would extend the same reasoning to sharing IDE project files.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #44
twobob

it's a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Should the Eclipse CDT binaries for Linux, Windows, Mac be part of the "Kit"? (CDT - with "C" development tools)

Not my favorite development environment, but it does run on all of the three most common systems (and others).

Having a "base" of common resources for all the "Kit Users" makes it easier for one user to reproduce the results (or problems) of any other user.

Adding a common IDE would extend the same reasoning to sharing IDE project files.
I concur with this thought. something that is x-system and free does indeed provide the facilities you mention, also opens the door for IDE level kindle-ising modifications that could be shared. Also I cross platforms a lot so that would helpful for cohesion to the individual. Visual Studio does not like plain c anymore. End of. relegated to command prompts and hacks.

I would happily give Eclipse (more) space on both drives for this purpose. HA! and it looks like I already have. Happy days for me then...

But I imagine if checked the vers. probably the java ones doh. Kek to the rescue!

I'm officially abandoning VS for c - the support is stupid, limited and buggy.

Last edited by twobob; 07-03-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: I can't type.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I concur with this thought. something that is x-system and free does indeed provide the facilities you mention, also opens the door for IDE level kindle-ising modifications that could be shared. Also I cross platforms a lot so that would helpful for cohesion to the individual.
Will add that to my to-do list.

These IDE things are a bit like word processors -
They all do the same basic functions and choice comes down to the user's preference of which one they like the best.

But tossing a "common one" into the pool at least makes it an available choice. Even if no one likes it, at least its there.

(Or, a person could just buy it from CodeSorcery - their IDE for sale is a private label version of Eclipse. The Mac x-code might be also, I am not sure.)