Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question Sony 650 - salesman error that shouldn't have happened ?

Quote from a post on UK Sony Forum about availability of 650s :

"I went into my local Sony shop today and enquired about the PRS650. None in stock and none to come, it was marked as 'End of Life ' on their computer. It was still listed as current in the 2011 shop trade catalogue. The salesman didn't know of a replcement."

That's all I know, but sounds strange, and possibly a bad move by Sony salesman who may have said more than he should.

Don't really understand why this is the first we've heard though - where's the raging rumours about a replacement ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

If Sony actually does discontinue the 650 before Autumn, or if they already have discontinued it, I suspect we won't see a replacement with a 6 inch screen. Sony has been acting strange ever since the release of the latest readers in Autumn 2010. Sony never really seemed to be enthusiastic about this new crop, nor have accessory providers. It all makes me wonder if Sony will soon quit the reader business. I'm sure the earthquake and tsunami will adversely effect supplies of Sony electronics, and products that don't sell well might get the axe. And yes I know much of Sony electronics are assembled in China, but many of the parts are made in Japan. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised in Autumn 2010 that Sony announced a new line of readers. I will be even more surprised if they do so in 2011.
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This certainly isn't the first we've heard. My local Sony Store told me exactly the same thing about 6 weeks ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And yet, I did a quick whistlestop whiz around the town today, and found Waterstones - who had earlier apparently abandoned the 650, with stock and advertising - have 'em, plus 350s, plus covers with lights, a real surprise, and chargers for both, all on the shelves, and Currys not only have 350 and 650 on shelves and display, but have the elusive red 650 as well.
PCWorld I note have only Kindles now......

Last edited by carpetmojo; 03-27-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
"Abandoned," strange way to refer to a retailer being out of stock... can't sell if not supplied by manufacturer but when available then in stock... as you found... and 350 never been out of stock in B'ham...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
And yet, I did a quick whistlestop whiz around the town today, and found Waterstones - who had earlier apparently abandoned the 650, with stock and advertising - have 'em, plus 350s, plus covers with lights, a real surprise, and chargers for both, all on the shelves, and Currys not only have 350 and 650 on shelves and display, but have the elusive red 650 as well.
PCWorld I note have only Kindles now......
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Every few months someone predicts the demise of the Sony Reader line, and then Sony comes out with the best new models ever.

In the USA it's all Kindle-Kindle-Kindle, but in Europe the Sony is still quite popular. Not sure about Asia.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am beginning to think my choice of the PRS-650 over the Kindle was a wrong one.

I have been waiting for new stock of the Sony and was told by Myer (big chain store here) that PRS-650 stock was arriving at the end of April. They do sell the PRS-350 and have plenty of stock in store.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
ruudtb205
ruudtb205 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650
I live in Holland, where the PRS-650 was out of stock too. 2 weeks ago they appeared on sale on the Sony site only. When I tried to buy one, the salesperson from Sony they were already sold out: they had 200 pices which were gone in less then 2 hours....

Last week they called teh wer available, and I ordered mine at once. My wife just called there was a parcel, so I think I quit work a bit early today

I think Sony had problems manufactering the device, as now I see the PRS-650 is in stock at Dutch resellers like Bol.com and Dixons.nl, which haven't had it since december!
ruudtb205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If Sony drops out of the ereader business, I, for one, will be greatly disappointed. My 505, which is now my wife's, is still going strong and she loves it as I did. I bought a 950 at its release and think it is by far the best reader on the market (I've tried other devices owned by friends, such as the Kindle, Kobo, and Nook and found them lacking -- for what I want in a reader -- compared to the Sony), although pricey.

I would love to see Sony simply concentrate on that portion of the ereader market that is willing to pay for high quality and continue to produce devices of the caliber of the 950.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I am beginning to think my choice of the PRS-650 over the Kindle was a wrong one.
Not to my way of thinking. Several of my friends who own Kindles and Nooks are thinking of selling them and buying a 950. They've had the opportunity to try my 950 and love the touchscreen.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
"Abandoned," strange way to refer to a retailer being out of stock... can't sell if not supplied by manufacturer but when available then in stock...
No, that's "abandoned" as in being told by two staff in Waterstones they'd been told they were stopping selling them, and that word was from one of them.
They were extremely surprised to recieve more - in the generic Waterstone's blue packaging , not Sony stuff.
( And covers and what all else..................... )

See the initial post, and HarryT later - they weren't being told they were waiting for supply.........

Quote :"Every few months someone predicts the demise of the Sony Reader line, and then Sony comes out with the best new models ever." (Doreen)

I hope you're right Doreen, I'm a fervent Sony-ite - but it's not us predicting demise, it's info from those selling the things.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Did read OP... talking about Sony stores as was HarryT and you didn't say "told by two staff in Waterstones..." you said "apparently abandoned" which implied an opinion not a statement from staff... the staff comment being wrong (which shouldn't happen) but that's life, staff are only human after all...

Certainly in Birmingham the 350 has been almost permanently in stock (and always more were coming) plus accessories (actually more erratic than the reader) although the 650 is considerably more erratic but that seems the case worldwide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
No, that's "abandoned" as in being told by two staff in Waterstones they'd been told they were stopping selling them, and that word was from one of them.
They were extremely surprised to recieve more - in the generic Waterstone's blue packaging , not Sony stuff.
( And covers and what all else..................... )

See the initial post, and HarryT later - they weren't being told they were waiting for supply.........

Quote :"Every few months someone predicts the demise of the Sony Reader line, and then Sony comes out with the best new models ever." (Doreen)

I hope you're right Doreen, I'm a fervent Sony-ite - but it's not us predicting demise, it's info from those selling the things.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard

Smile Ummmm...........

Well, just trying help out, as you seemed to feel my nomenclature was somewhat incorrect ...........
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Not to my way of thinking. Several of my friends who own Kindles and Nooks are thinking of selling them and buying a 950. They've had the opportunity to try my 950 and love the touchscreen.
That might be the route I take, but I would have to order the 950 from the US as they are not sold here. Good thing about it all is the price, as at AU$299 for the 650 and the strong Aussie dollar, the 950 costs about the same.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I think the fact that Sony has stopped selling any type of cover for the 650 (here in the U.S. at least) and that the 650 is more often than not out of stock at Sony's US website lends credibility to the fact that the 650 is being discontinued. Hopefully, it'll be replaced by a better unit (maybe one with wi-fi?)

I love my 650 and am awfully glad I got one when they were first available!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote