Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
OpenBoox

Has anyone OpenBoox on his Onyx60/Bebook Neo? What are your experiences? And is it possible to flash back and forth between the official firmware and OpenBoox? (Don't know if I will ever have the desire to go back, I just wanna be sure before I try it out.)
Many thanks!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Can someone point me at a link to OpenBoox? This is the first I'd heard of it.

Edit: nevermind, I found something.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=Main_Page
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer
Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Has anyone OpenBoox on his Onyx60/Bebook Neo? What are your experiences? And is it possible to flash back and forth between the official firmware and OpenBoox? (Don't know if I will ever have the desire to go back, I just wanna be sure before I try it out.)
Many thanks!
Since I am the developer I am not the person to answers your 'experiences' question.

About the firmware compatibility. Onyx doesn't care too much about backwards compatibility, you can for example not revert to version 1.4 if you have version 1.5.1 installed. The current OpenBOOX version is compatible with version 1.5.1, this means that you can always revert to an official 1.5.1 firmware version. But if OpenBOOX is not a good replacement for you I would like to hear what is missing, than I can see if it can be solved.

The Wiki page, linked to by Nate the great, doesn't fully describe the possibilities of the new user interface yet. As an alternative you can have a look at the YouTube Channel.
Koudijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks, Koudijs, I will give it a try! I already like the feature that you use the book cover as the standby-image, that's a nice idea!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer
Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Koudijs knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

One addition:

If you want to use a function that is available in the official firmware and not yet in OpenBOOX than you can temporarily switch back to the original interface. You do this by selecting the 'Onyx Explorer' from the Applications category, it remains active till you reboot the device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	applications-small.png
Views:	576
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	81147
Old 01-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Federico F.
Federico F. began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Is this opensource firmare available for the M92 model too? Thank you
Federico F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico F. View Post
Is this opensource firmare available for the M92 model too? Thank you
Unfortunately it's not. The OpenBOOX firmware can be used on the Boox60, Boox A60, BeBook Neo, Wolder Boox etc. It should not be used on the M9x series of devices.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer

A small update:
I am currently developing a new music player which will replace the rather limited Onyx player. It uses the MPD music server.

The implementation is now in a usable state, so I uploaded a video on YouTube to demonstrate it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lelqp5nvavQ

At this moment mp3 and flac files are supported but I want to add ogg and wav support as well.
Further you can browse your music by Title, Artist, Album, Genre etc.

There is one issue at the moment; when flac files are played without a power connection the device enters some power-save mode and playback stops

If you have suggestions to improve things, please let me know.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Hi koudijs,
I recently purchased an X60 with firmware 1.5.1. I like the hardware, and also the software for reading. I would LOVE the Scribble function, but unfortunately it lacks some important functions, so it is pretty useless in my opinion.

Crucial functions missing:
1. Ability to rename scribble files.
2. Ability to search scribble files by file name (also by partial name).
3. Ability to export scribble files to a PC via USB cable (or wirelessly to the web).

Would be nice to have:
1. Undo (at least the last stroke, but preferably more).
2. Quick access to Eraser (icon on screen).

Do you think you could address these issues in a future version of OpenBoox? Doing so would turn the Scribble function into a seriously useful school/office tool...

Thank you and keep up the good work!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koudijs View Post
One addition:

If you want to use a function that is available in the official firmware and not yet in OpenBOOX than you can temporarily switch back to the original interface. You do this by selecting the 'Onyx Explorer' from the Applications category, it remains active till you reboot the device.

Attachment 81147
Hi Koudijs;

If you're doing what I think you're doing, you should be able to detach the process, to write a pid file to /var/run , and to create another .oar stopping the explorer.
(Have a look at the snapshot_screensaver scripts - If I'm not mistaken, this should work here as well)

Cheers!
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Hi koudijs,
I recently purchased an X60 with firmware 1.5.1. I like the hardware, and also the software for reading.
I don't know if it's safe to install OpenBOOX on an X60.
Does anybody know if the official A60 firmware also runs on an X60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I would LOVE the Scribble function, but unfortunately it lacks some important functions, so it is pretty useless in my opinion.

Crucial functions missing:
1. Ability to rename scribble files.
2. Ability to search scribble files by file name (also by partial name).
3. Ability to export scribble files to a PC via USB cable (or wirelessly to the web).

Would be nice to have:
1. Undo (at least the last stroke, but preferably more).
2. Quick access to Eraser (icon on screen).

Do you think you could address these issues in a future version of OpenBoox? Doing so would turn the Scribble function into a seriously useful school/office tool...

Thank you and keep up the good work!
I assume you are talking about the scribble application and not about the scribbling in a book, correct?

Scribbling in OpenBOOX is a bit more flexible. When you create a new scribble you have to give it a name:

Name:	02 scribble.png
Views:	386
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	84770

The home screen has a Scribbles category containing all the scribbles you created. You can rename them by selecting Rename from the File menu:

Name:	03 scribble.png
Views:	362
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	84771

At this moment there is no search function.

Check the Tools menu from within the scribble application for the export function.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Koudijs
OpenBOOX developer

New version [A60]

Works on: Onyx Boox 60, BeBook Neo, Wolder Boox
Version: 1.6-0.2.0
Datecode: 20120520
Download: OpenBOOX-update-1.6-0.2.0.tar.gz

Check the README.txt file within the archive before updating!

I am proud to announce that, six months after the 0.1.1 release, the 0.2.0 release is now available for download.
The full version number is 1.6-0.2.0, indicating that also the Onyx libraries and open source applications have had an update.

Changes
- Music playback, play mp3 and flac files while reading
- Preferred reader selection, for chm, doc, epub, fb2, html, rtf and txt format
- CoolReader
- Removal of single/all book(s) from database
- Metadata renewal of already available books during rescan
- Comic book support (cb7, cbr, cbz)
- Zipped fb2 support (fb2.zip)
- Application termination by holding the OK button
- NTP time reception in case of Wifi connection

Notes
- The explorer and music player of the official firmware are no longer included. This is because the size of the system partition is limited and the saved space can now be used for new features.
- The database structure changed. If you update from OpenBOOX 0.1.1 then you will loose your explorer customizations and the content of your Books category (i.e. you have to scan your books again).

The preferred way for providing feedback is via the discussion thread that is running at Booxusers.com. This thread also contains more details of this release.