Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
iOS 5 from an Android owner’s perspective

A balanced viewpoint.

Quote:
I migrated to Android when it became mature enough for me. That was in January of 2010, with the purchase of a then-cutting-edge Nexus One handset, complete with Android 2.1. I was enthralled with the nearly unlimited personalization options as well as the support for — perhaps even encouragement of — custom ROMs, that unlock a device sort of like jailbreaking does for an iPhone. It wasn’t until then that I realized how little I cared for the iPhone’s notification system, and how much I appreciated the deep integration of third-party apps in Android.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/ios-5-from-...rs-perspective
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Cnet's take --- iOS 5 is just trying to play catch up, mostly introducing functions that Android had for a long time (most importantly copying the notification system).

Of course, Apple made it magical!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Cnet's take --- iOS 5 is just trying to play catch up, mostly introducing functions that Android had for a long time (most importantly copying the notification system).
Gotta link? I'd like to read that.

Of course, there is the Jobs quote from the article above:

Quote:
If we can be much better without being different, that’d be fine with me.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Here you go: http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-200...l?tag=mncol;9n
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I migrated to Android when it became mature enough for me.
I'll migrate to Android when a competitively priced Android Touch hits the stores.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Thanks.

I think C-Nets bloggers have disparate opinions on iOS 5. For example...

Quote:
Although CNET's Kent German thinks Apple took only "baby steps" with the new OS, I think there's a lot to like. In fact, at the risk of sounding like a gushing fanboy, I'd say iOS 5 offers an embarrassment of riches.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...#ixzz1Og2qjPOo

I found that some other (general tech) sites covered the changes in a bit more depth:

Quote:
I’ve been using iOS 5 on my primary iPhone 4 since it was made available to developers yesterday around 5:00 p.m. This is the most solid iOS beta Apple has ever released, so far. What’s even more impressive is that Apple seems to have fixed every single gripe I’ve had with the platform.
http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/07/apple-ios-5-day-one/
Old 06-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Reading most of ios 5 highlights made me giggle. Using the exact same notification system as android. Now just beong able to receive wireless updates and just a bunch of other WTF you haven't had that basic feature.
But hey its got that apple logo on the back. It magically makes you a trendy hippster.

Last edited by boswd; 06-08-2011 at 08:25 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned

It's the same way they upgrade their PC OS. Incrementally.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
It's the same way they upgrade their PC OS. Incrementally.
You knew they had to upgrade their notification system, that was a given. Even the most hardcore Apple fans complained to the high heavens about that. What surprised me was they cloned Android's almost verbatum. I thought they would do their own thing. Window's Phone 7 has a great notification system as well.

but I don't think this will be the end of the iOs converging into a more Android like phone. Strong rumors on having widgets and I would be surprised if they didn't do a 4.0 inch screen. Which I think is why Apple went all out after Samsung so hard. Samsung blurs the line with it's designs and if Apple is doing a 4 ich screen it's going to look exactly like the Samsung Galaxy S II ( which is already be hailed as THE best phone out right now)

But yeah Apple is doing the whole Android thing. funny how life is

Last edited by boswd; 06-08-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I thought the iCloud/iTunes in the Cloud announcement was more impressive than the iOS 5 announcement. Having your music pushed to your devices from the cloud (rather than streaming from the cloud) is somewhat impressive. Everything else (having calendar & mail sync between devices, for example) seemed like it fell into the "What the hell took you so long?" category.

However, I do think that Jobs & Apple oversold the convenience of their music tagging feature. "Weeks" to upload your music collection? Seriously? Is Apple assuming people are still using 1200 baud modems to upload music?
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I thought the iCloud/iTunes in the Cloud announcement was more impressive than the iOS 5 announcement. Having your music pushed to your devices from the cloud (rather than streaming from the cloud) is somewhat impressive. Everything else (having calendar & mail sync between devices, for example) seemed like it fell into the "What the hell took you so long?" category.

However, I do think that Jobs & Apple oversold the convenience of their music tagging feature. "Weeks" to upload your music collection? Seriously? Is Apple assuming people are still using 1200 baud modems to upload music?
Yeah weeks to download made me laugh. But on the Amazon you can also download to your device as well, what I like about the amazon cloud service better is you have more control on what you want to be downloaded and uploaded to the cloud. Google uses a Cache (pinned) system when you aren't streaming, which is pretty cool feature, doesn't use any internal or sd card memory but you can use it when you have a bad connection etc. And the fact you do have "true" cloud service by being able to stream from the web page really means your music is everywhere.

I don't like how Apple will charge for 'substituting" your music that wasnt' bought from iTunes. I would say 80% of my library is ripped. I'm a yard sale scavenger during the summer. buy cd's for like .50 a rip away.
I would have to pay Apple $25 a year to listen to my own music.

At least with Amazon I have more control over the storage.

but if someone who lives basically in iTunes and all their songs are iTunes then this is good. For people with more advanced music library and wider range of sources, Amazon is a better option for you IMHO. google will be interesting to see. So far it's Invitation only Beta for Free. I signed up, I like it, it's android application is wonderful, very visually striking. but we'll see when they do their pricing. So far the whole thing is free. so that wins, for now.

Last edited by boswd; 06-08-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't load music on my touch, so this iTunes cloud thing means nothing to me. What I do is stream my music from AOL Radio, TuneIn Radio, Radio.com, iHeartRadio, Pandora, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't load music on my touch, so this iTunes cloud thing means nothing to me. What I do is stream my music from AOL Radio, TuneIn Radio, Radio.com, iHeartRadio, Pandora, etc.
I like to set up my bookshelf speakers on my nook color and put on Pandora
Old 06-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Yeah weeks to download made me laugh. But on the Amazon you can also download to your device as well, what I like about the amazon cloud service better is you have more control on what you want to be downloaded and uploaded to the cloud. Google uses a Cache (pinned) system when you aren't streaming, which is pretty cool feature, doesn't use any internal or sd card memory but you can use it when you have a bad connection etc. And the fact you do have "true" cloud service by being able to stream from the web page really means your music is everywhere.
With Amazon you can download to your device, but it doesn't get pushed like it does with the iTunes Cloud service. I thought that was kind of cool.

Quote:
I don't like how Apple will charge for 'substituting" your music that wasnt' bought from iTunes. I would say 80% of my library is ripped. I'm a yard sale scavenger during the summer. buy cd's for like .50 a rip away.
I would have to pay Apple $25 a year to listen to my own music.
True, but that's not too different than what you'd be doing with Amazon, if your collection is over 5GB.

Quote:
At least with Amazon I have more control over the storage.
That certainly seems to be true.

Quote:
but if someone who lives basically in iTunes and all their songs are iTunes then this is good. For people with more advanced music library and wider range of sources, Amazon is a better option for you IMHO.
Yeah. It really seems tailored to someone living in the iTunes ecosystem (which makes sense, I suppose).

Quote:
google will be interesting to see. So far it's Invitation only Beta for Free. I signed up, I like it, it's android application is wonderful, very visually striking. but we'll see when they do their pricing. So far the whole thing is free. so that wins, for now.
I signed up for Google Music, but I haven't gotten my invitation yet. I really want to try it. If it's got all the features they say, it's more full-featured than Amazon's offering.

I've been happy with the Amazon Cloud Player so far. I think it would be prohibitively expensive (for me) to put my entire library on it, but the service itself seems to work fine. And the idea that I could pay $100 and have a 100GB music player on any device I want sounds like a pretty good deal to me. (That might change if Google Music turns out to be cheaper.)
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
With Amazon you can download to your device, but it doesn't get pushed like it does with the iTunes Cloud service. I thought that was kind of cool.

True, but that's not too different than what you'd be doing with Amazon, if your collection is over 5GB.

That certainly seems to be true.

Yeah. It really seems tailored to someone living in the iTunes ecosystem (which makes sense, I suppose).

I signed up for Google Music, but I haven't gotten my invitation yet. I really want to try it. If it's got all the features they say, it's more full-featured than Amazon's offering.

I've been happy with the Amazon Cloud Player so far. I think it would be prohibitively expensive (for me) to put my entire library on it, but the service itself seems to work fine. And the idea that I could pay $100 and have a 100GB music player on any device I want sounds like a pretty good deal to me. (That might change if Google Music turns out to be cheaper.)

did you buy the Lady Gaga for .99 for the free upgrade to 20G on Amazon's cloud? I think the girl is a nut job but for and extra 15G of storage she is allright in my book

Yeah my sister in law is fully engrossed into the whole Apple ecosystem and iTunes, she'll enjoy the iCloud.

I think it's fun to watch the Big 3 and see how this will all play out.