Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Is Sony becoming a "Free Preview" meanie?

I see that the two of the latest freebies from Sony are just samples of the books. I hope they don't do too much of this.

Mind you, I think they're doing readers a big favour by limiting the exposure to Tim LaHaye.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
My biggest problem with them is their clunky software and lack of customer support. I bought a book 2 months ago and it was not readable on my prs505. They said they would contact engineering and get back to me. Never have. I have emailed them 3x since and get the same response. In the mean time the book is STILL not readable having redownloaded it 10x. What gets me the most is that even though they now know the book is corrupt, they STILL are selling it and haven't pulled it from their site. To me that is unethical.

And before you ask, it is most certainly NOT my reader. I have over a hundred books on it and not a single one is doing what this one does. It is the book.

I am very disappointed in them and question every purchase I make now wondering if I will get the same result.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
And before you ask, it is most certainly NOT my reader. I have over a hundred books on it and not a single one is doing what this one does. It is the book.

I am very disappointed in them and question every purchase I make now wondering if I will get the same result.
Which book do we need to avoid?
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Well as long as they are clearly marked as previews (which they are), it should be fine. Besides, I'm pretty sure those are made available by the publisher, not Sony.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Which book do we need to avoid?

Probably nothing any of you would be interested in. Patient Zero - kind of a zombie thing.

On topic though, I totally rely on the previews to help me decide if I am going to like a writers style. They should do that on every book I think.
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I see that the two of the latest freebies from Sony are just samples of the books. I hope they don't do too much of this.

Mind you, I think they're doing readers a big favour by limiting the exposure to Tim LaHaye.
How can they do readers a favour by limiting exposure to books? Maybe you mean that they do you a favour by limiting others? But this sounds like you should decide what books other people should read.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
How can they do readers a favour by limiting exposure to books? Maybe you mean that they do you a favour by limiting others? But this sounds like you should decide what books other people should read.

To me it sounds like someone making a joke/sly comment about a writer that they don't like and nothing more.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
To me it sounds like someone making a joke/sly comment about a writer that they don't like and nothing more.
Thanks, Shopaholic. I should have been clearer.

I'm an atheist but I greatly enjoy studying religion. I tried reading Tim LaHaye's 'Left Behind' series. I thought a novel about The Rapture would be intriguing and give me some insight into the thought processes of believers. (LaHaye is apparently a believer).

Left Behind One starts with a brilliant set-up - half the passengers on a trans Atlantic flight simply disappear from the plane. Any competent writer could have turned this into a thrilling, thought provoking read. But LaHaye and his co-author are so inept and wooden and illogical and clumsy... it was all I could do to struggle through the book without throwing it across the room.

According to my reading list, I read "Left Behind One" way back in April 2008. It was so bad that I am STILL annoyed!

I feel about LaHaye the way certain forum members feel about D*n Br**n. Maybe Hell is a library that stocks only D*n Br**n and Tim LaHaye. And you've got to read them for all eternity - except when you're allowed to watch TV - which is only "Dharma and Greg" re-runs.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I am a believer. I haven't read the 'Left Behind' series and I am not planning to. They were in the library of the previous village were we used to live as well as in the city were we live now. In Dutch translation even, so I guess they must be quite popular. I didn't read Dan Brown, neither am I planning to do so. I don't like people stating fiction as if it is the truth and from what I have read that's what DB does. BUT: I think access to these should not be limited because I don't like them. Not even because of the quality. Let readers decide themselves what they want to read. They can find enough reviews to decide if it is worth the effort.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Probably nothing any of you would be interested in. Patient Zero - kind of a zombie thing.
Actually -- I have that book on one of my readers. It works fine for me. . Then again, I think I got it when LRF was still predominant.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Mrgauth
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Actually -- I have that book on one of my readers. It works fine for me. . Then again, I think I got it when LRF was still predominant.

As of today I still wait for that book to be fixed so I can read it. Going on 2 months after I bought it!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Maybe Hell is a library that stocks only D*n Br**n and Tim LaHaye. And you've got to read them for all eternity - except when you're allowed to watch TV - which is only "Dharma and Greg" re-runs.
The library in hell will include a shelf of Stephenie Meyer.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The library in hell will include a shelf of Stephenie Meyer.

bahahahaha!!!

Ok I'm actually reading the Twilight series because I like horror/vampires etc and wanted to see what all the hype was about. I'm a big Harry Potter fan and so many people have compared the two writers/series/fans. OMG! not even close. Not. Even. Close.

JKR's writing is infinitely better. Twilight is like a vampire Harlequin romance but not written as well. LOL At least with a HR you know what you're getting into. It's fluff if you're in the mood for fluff. I have to finish the series now that I've read the first three but to hear people compare them to the writing of JKR is just ludicrous IMO.

Stephen King was right about Stephanie Meyer. hehehehe
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
bahahahaha!!!

Ok I'm actually reading the Twilight series because I like horror/vampires etc
Then Twilight* is the last thing you'd want to read. Stephanie Meyer single-handedly managed to take the decades of vampire mythos that came before and killed it dead - making vampires quite and cuddly is just not on!

* Disclaimer: I have never read, nor will I ever read the Twilight saga.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #15
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Then Twilight* is the last thing you'd want to read. Stephanie Meyer single-handedly managed to take the decades of vampire mythos that came before and killed it dead - making vampires quite and cuddly is just not on!

* Disclaimer: I have never read, nor will I ever read the Twilight saga.
Seconded. Instead read Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt series. A whole new fresh take on Vampyres.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote