Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2022, 05:45 AM   #1
TeaBot
Jailer of SD cards
TeaBot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia, Kobo Clara 2E
Foldable e-ink screens : Yay or Nay ?

With the advent of foldable touchscreens, there has been hints of e-ink screens foldable here and there for a couple of years now.

I remember this from a presentation in Tokyo in 2020:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/10/2...pe-note-taking

And looking into it this morning, found this:
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...oldable-kindle
https://gizmodo.com/e-ink-kaleido-3-...ers-1848842166

First of all, if anyone has more info on the subject, please don't hesitate to share as I am interested in this tech.

Are y'all interested in this or nah ?

Would you want to switch, or would you think the regular screen would fit you better ?

For my part, I would very much like to have this.
Not so much the whole close it to turn pages (gizmodo article), as that sounds annoying to me, but similar to the Tokyo prototype, a regular swipe to turn pages.

I'd like the whole holding it from the middle and having angles on both sides, like a physical book.

And the folding in half to put in my pocket sounds very pleasant as well.

I'm excited to see where this goes.
I'm less excited to see them probably selling it for a fortune.

What's everyone thoughts ?

Is it a tech that has potential on e-ink screen ? I'm less familiar wih the e-ink tech than the touchscreen tech.
TeaBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:01 AM   #2
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
No thank you. It’s not for me. Besides I can only read one page at a time.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
No thank you. It’s not for me. Besides I can only read one page at a time.
At the moment, I see nothing special with A foldable eInk screen. But maybe that could change if it was ever a reality (a consumer product able to actually be purchased).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:38 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Not interested in any foldable device right now.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:42 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For an ereader, the reason I would want a foldable screen is to make it "smaller" to carry around. It isn't a very high priority for me. And I wouldn't want 2 screens.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2022, 08:59 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Not for me. I mostly read on my kindle at home. The main time I bring it out is going to the beach and I would worry about sand getting into the folding mechanism.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Eventually perhaps. I can imagine some clever things that might be possible when the technology progresses further, but for now I'm happy just reading about them on a non-foldable screen.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Naw, I'll wait for the e-ink VR headset.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:46 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
No, not interested. I prefer the 1 page at a time function of current e-ink readers. Wider & hinged just makes it more difficult to hold one handed, and as already stated, you can only read 1 page at a time.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:25 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There was a roll up eink phone maybe 12 years ago as a demo. Too fat.
Unless the basic device is about 8mm max thick and works like a 6" and can pull out "Earth Final Conflict" handset style to about 10", there is no point. Or if it was the size of about a Sony PRS-350 and unfolded to twice size and locked open.

Neither of those technologies exist and the foldable OLED phone has poor display life. It's still at the gimmick stage.

There are bendable eInk and has been for years. But it's roll up at quite large internal diameter. There is no use case for it?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:40 PM   #11
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
With all the foo-fa-fah over the Samsung Galaxy 4 Flip I told everybody that I was still waiting for the tri-fold.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
No interest at all.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:34 PM   #13
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I have no interest for reading books on such a thing.

However, I would be interested if they made an eInk device large enough to display several full sized pages of piano sheet music on. This wouldn't need to be one giant folding screen though. It could be several smaller screens with hinges between them. By "smaller screen", I still mean the size of a page a sheet music, somewhere around 10" x 12". Three of those side-by-side, either hinged or folding. Battery powered. Illuminated, variable intensity. And a foot pedal with a long cord (or bluetooth) for turning the pages.

I do think they make something like this already, but I don't think it is eInk. And it probably costs as much as a Bösendorfer piano.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:03 AM   #14
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'd be more interested potentially in something along the lines of 2 kindles (screens facing internally) with a laptop style hinge since it seems like it'd be more durable than a folding eink screen and I don't see the benefit of an actual folding eink screen
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:08 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I have no interest for reading books on such a thing.

However, I would be interested if they made an eInk device large enough to display several full sized pages of piano sheet music on. This wouldn't need to be one giant folding screen though. It could be several smaller screens with hinges between them. By "smaller screen", I still mean the size of a page a sheet music, somewhere around 10" x 12". Three of those side-by-side, either hinged or folding. Battery powered. Illuminated, variable intensity. And a foot pedal with a long cord (or bluetooth) for turning the pages.

I do think they make something like this already, but I don't think it is eInk. And it probably costs as much as a Bösendorfer piano.
Is a 13.3" screen large enough for sheets of music?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote