Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Star Dragon" SF novel for free

Author Mike Brotherton has released his sci-fi Star Dragon novel under the Creative Commons License.

The book is available for free download and comes in various formats (including txt and html).

TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thanks for the link!

Craig (back from vacation).
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
And for the good Plucker users who don't feel like building it themselves, I've done it for you. Output attached as a pdb.

(Minor changes to the html: the link to the creative commons licence was changed to text only, not a hyperlink; added a "cosmetic only" http:// to the text at the bottom, referring the reader to http://www.aavso.org/vstar/vsotm/0600.stm#dn).
Attached Files
File Type: pdb StarDragon.pdb (257.3 KB, 404 views)
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
You should send a copy to the author Chaos, he might just stick it up on the site

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Good idea! I think I'll do that...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Considering that M. Brotherton has a new book out from Tor now (no e-book though for the moment) I thought a good idea to post about this free download that I've just found out today, until a site search showed someone did it several years ago.

The updated direct link is here:

http://www.mikebrotherton.com/?page_id=8
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'd be curious if anyone considers reading the .pdf version on a Sony PRS-505 --- I made it and am re-reading it now to check for things I was too hurried to fix previously (if one finds anything which could stand improvement, let me know).

I'll probably be using it for a first project for making .pdfs optimized for the Sony.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Here's a reformatted Mobipocket version
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I'll probably be using it for a first project for making .pdfs optimized for the Sony.
I went down that path for quite a while before finally giving in to LRF-generation. Although the higher-quality typography possible with LaTeX->PDF improves readability, the discernibly lower-quality rendering of PDFs – even Reader-optimized PDFs – makes the LRF a net win. obelix has some analysis of rendering in the various on-Reader file-viewers which demonstrates the differences.

Perhaps the upcoming 505 firmware update will improve PDF rendering enough to bring them in parity, but for the time being I’ve become convinced that LRF is the way to go.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The major issue with that PDF vs LRF font analysis is that we do not know if the PDF is made for the screen size of the 500/505. If it's not, of cource LRF is going to render the font better. But I think if the PDF size is optimized for the 6" eink screen then I don't think we'll have a difference as the font will not have to be reduced. It's when the PDF is larger and has to be reduced that quality is lost.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The major issue with that PDF vs LRF font analysis is that we do not know if the PDF is made for the screen size of the 500/505. If it's not, of cource LRF is going to render the font better. But I think if the PDF size is optimized for the 6" eink screen then I don't think we'll have a difference as the font will not have to be reduced. It's when the PDF is larger and has to be reduced that quality is lost.
Oh, no – one can definitely tell the difference. Creating a 88.184mm x 113.854mm PDF renders pixel-perfect size-wise (well, with some minor distortion because the Reader PDF renderer treats the pixels as squares even though they’re rectangles). But as obelix notes in his analysis, the PDF renderer renders “white” – including white page backgrounds – as one shade darker than the lightest the Reader is actually capable of. This plus what appears to be weaker font anti-aliasing vs. LRF results in a significantly more “washed-out” looking page. Having done exclusively PDF generation for several months, I assure you that the contrast disparity is quite noticeable. :-)
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then I'll stick with LRF for content conversion.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Thanks llasram! The link was very informative.

That said, it looks like just another set of tradeoffs --- and I'm willing to give up a ``pure'' white for:

- better typography
- richer character set (e.g., ligatures)
- true italics

&c.

Hopefully the next firmware update will improve the .pdf renderer.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Thanks llasram! The link was very informative.

That said, it looks like just another set of tradeoffs --- and I'm willing to give up a ``pure'' white for:

- better typography
- richer character set (e.g., ligatures)
- true italics

&c.

Hopefully the next firmware update will improve the .pdf renderer.

William
The lack of hyphenation on LRF is the best reason for me to use PDF instead.

Haven't answered to your message about The Book Of Tea yet William, but I will...

I guess we might have a few LaTeX tricks to exchange...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
The lack of hyphenation on LRF is the best reason for me to use PDF instead.

Haven't answered to your message about The Book Of Tea yet William, but I will...

I guess we might have a few LaTeX tricks to exchange...
Mobipocket/AZW don't have hyphenation support as well.