Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Haunted House Stories

This is a sub-genre of Horror and is filled with some wonderful novels, novellas, novelettes, short stories, and flash fiction works.

I'm currently reading (along with another Mobileread member) "Charnel House," by Graham Masterton. (42% read.) I find this to be an easy and engaging story, and VERY creepy.

What are some of the memorable (or not) haunted house stories that you've read?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. Great suspense, no silly blood and gore, just a growing sense of horror. "Whose hand was I holding?"
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. Great suspense, no silly blood and gore, just a growing sense of horror. "Whose hand was I holding?"
THE classic! A great novel, in my opinion - as horror and as literature.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I just saw "The House on Haunted Hill" on TCM (Vincent Price). Is there any relation to "The Haunting of Hill House" book other than kind of sharing all of the same words?
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I just saw "The House on Haunted Hill" on TCM (Vincent Price). Is there any relation to "The Haunting of Hill House" book other than kind of sharing all of the same words?
No, the movie version of The Haunting of Hill House is called simply The Haunting. It's a terrific movie starring Julie Harris and Claire Bloom, made in the 1960s. There was also a remake about 20 years ago, but I've never seen that version and wouldn't want to.
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just finished The Uninvited by Dorothy Macardle a couple of weeks ago. It's good though the horror is pretty mild. It was made into a 1944 movie with Ray Milland.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I just finished The Uninvited by Dorothy Macardle a couple of weeks ago. It's good though the horror is pretty mild. It was made into a 1944 movie with Ray Milland.
I'm not familiar with that one.

I'll have to check it out and get more information on it - like right now!

-- Thank you!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ YIKES!

That's an expensive title from Amazon.

But it looks GREAT!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Thanks Catlady -- I'll keep an eye out for that movie. Just noticed that Netflix will have a new 10-part series on The Haunting of Hill House:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-haun...on-1202200854/
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Haunted house stories are my favourite (sub) genre. Or rather, haunted somethings. I really don't care if the haunted thing is a house, an asylum, ship,etc.

The House on Haunted Hill is one of my all time favourites. One of the few books that scared me. So I'm glad that Netflix has picked it up.

The other book that creeped me out is The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. Though it's technically more a haunted area, with the house and moors it stands on are most haunted. I first saw the play, bought the book at the theater and read it in one sitting that night whilst my classmates were experiencing the London nightlife.

On the I've enjoyed books by Sarah Rayne, Darcy Coates and Amy Cross, who ogten write about hauntings. The latter writing the grittiest stories.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Thanks Catlady -- I'll keep an eye out for that movie. Just noticed that Netflix will have a new 10-part series on The Haunting of Hill House:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-haun...on-1202200854/
Thanks for the info; I don't think anything tops the original movie, though.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^ YIKES!

That's an expensive title from Amazon.

But it looks GREAT!
I haven't read it yet, but a cheaper alternative would be Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan. It's only a dollar at Amazon. It was the basis for the 1949 movie with Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten.
https://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Jenn...rait+of+Jennie

Also there is Otto Penzler's The Big Book of Ghost Stories. It's expensive but it's BIG (850 pages, 86 stories).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UAO1T2
Old 11-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I haven't read it yet, but a cheaper alternative would be Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan. It's only a dollar at Amazon. It was the basis for the 1949 movie with Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten.
https://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Jenn...rait+of+Jennie

Also there is Otto Penzler's The Big Book of Ghost Stories. It's expensive but it's BIG (850 pages, 86 stories).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UAO1T2

I have the Otto Penzler title, which is a very enjoyable book of ghost stories.

I'm familiar with Robert Nathan (and, in fact, I've seen the movie), but I have yet to read the book. I'll check it out.

Thank you.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 AM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Just checked with Amazon, and the Audible audiobook is $2 cheaper than the Kindle ebook. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haunting of Hill House cheaper on Audible.png
Views:	188
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	159840  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard

But if you buy the kindle book first you can get the Audible edition for $7.49.