Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's there now. It says November 5th for the 3G model.
Exactly. The previous poster, however, said 30th September. That's the shipping date for the WiFi version, not 3G.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #137
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Any word on if the lighting system is radically different from the last version?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #138
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's still LED lights and a light guide. How much the evenness has improved remains to be seen.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #139
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Even Bezos apparently didn't think it was important enough to call a press conference or hold an introduction event. I think Amazon is definitely switching emphasis to tablets and away from eInk readers.
I think you are reading too much into it. They aren't releasing a new model, or making any changes to their range of ereaders, they are just releasing a newer version of one of their available ereaders, so why bother with a press conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Here's another good quote from the Times article (another thanks for the link)… I'm intrigued:

"The unsightly flashing effect when you flip the page happens only rarely, as long as it’s a text-only book — maybe as rarely as once per chapter, according to Amazon."
That's good to know, because this is feature that's been highlighted with the Kobo Aura, they are marketing it as "ClarityScreen with low-flash waveform". So it'll be interesting to see how the two compare in reality. And although it's only software related, I am delighted with the ability to skip forward by chapter is being added. I moan about the page turn buttons, but the chapter jump is probably the feature I'd miss most from my Kindle Keyboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
The only other thing I'd be interested in when I go for either a new Aura or new PW, apart from even lighting, is reduced depth between bezel and screen. I know the new Aura is completely flat, but I'm worried about how this is implemented - I've heard reports it's now "low glare" and not "no glare", which is worrying. As for the new PW, I've read nothing about the depth between bezel and screen, so I assume it's the same as the old PW.

I think I'll try both in my hand before deciding.
Apart from the perennial firmware grumbles of the Kobo, the slightly smaller (and lighter) size of the Aura, plus its extra font options make it an attractive proposition. The completely flat screen makes it stand apart from the others too, but whether or not that is a plus point or not remains to be seen. The early images/videos do suggest it might have a bit more glare though.

I'm tempted by both, but will wait for user feedback first, especially as we should all have learned from Amazon's slick marketing of the original PW! Even then I won't make up my mind until I hopefully get the chance to hold both in my hands.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-04-2013 at 08:28 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #140
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A completely flat screen removes the tactile separation between the bezel and the screen area which is useful when turning the page. I occasionally struggle with this on my iPad (which is of course also completely flat). Being able to feel the "step" between the bezel and the screen is useful in knowing where to tap to turn the page on the current PW.
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #141
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesk View Post
Oh no! I'm receiving my 1st gen pw tomorrow.
I knew they were gong to release a new version but so soon?

I live in Norway so returning the device will be expensive.
Ah well, I guess this will do :'(
Can you buy kindle contents if you live in Norway? I remember last year, Amazon deleted every book that Linn Nygaard, an IT consultant living in Norway, had purchased, and canceled her Amazon account. Amazon claimed that she had violated their terms of service, but was not specific as to what she had done wrong. The next day Amazon restored her account and books only because of bad publicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_...ontent_removal
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #142
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Can you buy kindle contents if you live in Norway? I remember last year, Amazon deleted every book that Linn Nygaard, an IT consultant living in Norway, had purchased, and canceled her Amazon account. Amazon claimed that she had violated their terms of service, but was not specific as to what she had done wrong. The next day Amazon restored her account and books only because of bad publicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_...ontent_removal
<sigh>

These stories of Amazon closing accounts ALWAYS have a lot more to them than is at first reported. They generally occur when people do things like abuse Amazon's return policies. We have never (to the best of my recollection) had a case of account closure reported to us here at MR that didn't turn out to have had some reason behind it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #143
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please don't play fast and loose with the facts. Amazon did NOT delete any books from her Kindle. Yes, they suspended her account. Yes, she could not RE-download the books from that suspended account. Yes it was a bit ugly. Maybe it shouldn't have happened. But in no way, did Amazon reach out its long, big-brother arm and physically delete content from her device.

Besides, we haven't heard about anything like this happening in quite a while (there was a bit of a rash of them for a while). I take this as a sign that they've made good on their statement (following the incident you mentioned) that account status would no longer prevent people from accessing their previous purchases.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-04-2013 at 08:49 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #144
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
After countless returns, I settled for a PW1 I could live with. I still see the color blotches if I look for them, but most of the time I ignore them now.
Would love the Goodreads intergation, and even if it never makes it to the PW1 firmware, it would not convince me to get the PW2: there are just not too many changes.

If, however, users report a droolworthy lighting tech, and a white screen, I will reconsider.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #145
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Will an old Paperwhite Wi-Fi cover fit a new 3G Paperwhite?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #146
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Yes - the physical size is the same, and the covers haven't changed.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #147
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Yes, it will.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #148
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The reason I know that is that when I ordered my new PW2 last night, I ordered the cover with it, and the cover that went into my order was the identical one to that which I've bought for my current PW. When I saw that, I cancelled the order and re-ordered without the cover.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #149
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I checked the add on cover link and found it to be the very same cover I just bought a week ago for my current PW. I was determined not to upgrade, not that there seems much to the upgrade, and I won't be. I did however pre-order whether I keep it I don't know. I'm hoping its a decent upgrade for my Mum from the Kindle Touch. Her birthday is less than two weeks after the UK release of the wifi edition.

Also if it satisfies my own curiosity about this PW it's a plus.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #150
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure? The WiFi version is shipping on 30th September, but the 3G version isn't available to order yet.
Yes, but I got the Wifi one not the 3G, I hope I didn't mislead anyone in a quote.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote