Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
You know, technically, I am Legend was a vampire outbreak. They only came out at night, slept through the day, stake through the heart, etc., and all that other vampiric type stuff. Right?
Yes, but I Am Legend is not considered to be a literary ancestor of today's vampire genre. It is the point-of-origin for the current public perception of zombies. George Romero fully acknowledges that his re-animated corpses in "Night of the Living Dead" were inspired by I Am Legend .
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
I recently read Bonshaker, which is a steam punk novel, but has zombies which came about from gas released from the ground etc. Good read.

Also, although different, The Road is amazing. No zombies, but the people are almost as bad.
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #18
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Yes, but I Am Legend is not considered to be a literary ancestor of today's vampire genre. It is the point-of-origin for the current public perception of zombies. George Romero fully acknowledges that his re-animated corpses in "Night of the Living Dead" were inspired by I Am Legend[/URL] .
Well the article quotes him as saying the idea from I am Legend of everyone else gone and a single survivor having to deal with the end-of-the-world was his inspiration for a small group of survivors dealing with the zombie outbreak in Night of the Living Dead.

I have seen other movie documentaries pointing to the Last Man on Earth (the first movie version of I Am Legend, with Vincent Price) as being the visual inspiration of the hordes of zombies from Night of the Living Dead outside the farmhouse.

Either way, the novel I am Legend has absolutely nothing to do with zombies.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Del Toro's "The Strain" ?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordietastic View Post
I read some reviews of "World War Z" and a few people said that it was hard to really get attached to the characters because of how the book jumped from one personal account to another.
Don't forget about the Zombie Survival Guide, by the same author, to get you prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
whiskeyguy
whiskeyguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm about 60% done with The Twelve (sequel to The Passage) and both are great reads. The books deal with vampire-like creatures... but nothing like True Blood or Twilight vampires. The "creatures" from I Am legend (the movie) are closer than anything else that currently comes to mind.

Watch Amazon's daily free books... there are zombie ones popping up all the time, some with good reviews.
whiskeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
geordietastic
geordietastic began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Richards View Post
There are zombie novels out there aplenty, but I Am Legend is an acknowledged sf/horror classic, listed by many readers of those genres as one of their all-time favourite novels, and if you're looking for another book that is anywhere as good ... man, do not hold your breath.
Awwww
geordietastic is offline   Reply With Quote