Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMP conversion

I'm looking for a way to convert IMP files to something I can load into Book Designer to be able to convert to LRF. I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Jon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have never found a conversion tool that could use an IMP files as a source.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What are "imp" files? I thought I was pretty familiar with eBook formats, but that's a new one on me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
From the MobileRead Wiki Format page:

Quote:
IMP – an eBook format used by RCA REB-1100/REB-1200, eBook Technologies ETI-1/ETI-2, GemStar 1150, and eBookwise 1150. Some programs convert to it. No known program converts from it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
This might be of interest; though I'm not sure how long that's been up.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've seen that coming soon page. But that won't help now with the ebookwise imp files I have that I'd like to convert.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I too, have been looking for some quick and easy conversion utility, without success. I was informed by one member of this forum that the IMP format is a "dead-end" format, meaning that once it's put there it's stuck. Alas, no utilities found yet, the only thing close was a utility called unIMP, but all it did was deflate the IMP file into multiple files you can use for loading it onto a MMC card for older RB's.

Here's what I suggest (and am using ATM), get the "eBook Viewer" and *print* the IMP's to Reader-friendly PDF's. I've already printed a few as PDF's, I just need to treak the settings a bit to make it fit better.

EDIT: BTW, if you do happen across a quick-and-easy utility, please PM me so I can be in the know as well. Happy hunting!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
I too, have been looking for some quick and easy conversion utility, without success. I was informed by one member of this forum that the IMP format is a "dead-end" format, meaning that once it's put there it's stuck. Alas, no utilities found yet, the only thing close was a utility called unIMP, but all it did was deflate the IMP file into multiple files you can use for loading it onto a MMC card for older RB's.

Here's what I suggest (and am using ATM), get the "eBook Viewer" and *print* the IMP's to Reader-friendly PDF's. I've already printed a few as PDF's, I just need to treak the settings a bit to make it fit better.

EDIT: BTW, if you do happen across a quick-and-easy utility, please PM me so I can be in the know as well. Happy hunting!
What's the best solution to print to PDF? I think if I can go from IMP to PDF I can then go from PDF to something else and get the text. What's the name of the ebook viewer for Windows to view/print IMP files?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The viewer is called "eBook Viewer" by eBook Technologies Inc, version I have is 2.2. The viewer let's you print the book, but if you have Adobe or a freeware PDF printer, such as PrimoPDF, you can save the output as PDF. The problem with printing to PDF if you're not so much printing the text as a rasterized image of the output, but as long as you use the settings for the Reader it will fit the screen w/o problems and you won't need to run any of the PDF convertors on it; i.e., PDFRasterfarian, PDFRead, or JAP. I don't have the correct settings confirmed yet for a perfect conversion, sometimes the output exceeds the page size and stuff gets cropped off, but trial-and-error will prevail.

If you're thinking about simply outputing the IMP to a text file using a simple text printer, I've tried it and it won't work. I guess you can always try running OCR on the output PDF, though that will take a bit of time.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
I'm looking for a way to convert IMP files to something I can load into Book Designer to be able to convert to LRF. I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Jon
I just open the imp with notepad and copy the text out/paste it into Book Designer (being careful to avoid the imp formatting of course)
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat
I just open the imp with notepad and copy the text out/paste it into Book Designer (being careful to avoid the imp formatting of course)
None of the IMP's I display any recognizable text, except for the first couple of line describing the IMP structure, when opened with Notepad... and I have dozens. Are you sure you're opening an IMP file?
Old 04-15-2007, 09:44 PM   #13
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
None of the IMP's I display any recognizable text, except for the first couple of line describing the IMP structure, when opened with Notepad... and I have dozens. Are you sure you're opening an IMP file?
Yes. I'm certain it is an imp file. I have an ebookwise reader and have converted several of my imp books for the sony reader.
There's gobbledygook at the start and at the end. You just avoid copying that. The book text is in the middle. You just have to scroll down a bit.
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #14
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!

Still nothing, must have checked 5 different books with nothing but junk characters. Kinda sucks, had my hopes up. I even checked the unIMP'ed data, but nada. Guess I'll still be sticking with converting with the ereader-to-pdf route.

Thanks for the suggestion, perhaps it will help someone else.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
It depends what programme created the imp file.

If it was made using ebook Publisher by ebook technologies inc. then you will find straight text sandwiched between a very large header and footer.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote