Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Almost made it into USAToday's "Coolest high-tech products"

"Some products under review didn't quite make the final cut, though they have potential. For example, the thin-but-pricey Sony Reader e-book device is still nowhere near as simple as flipping the pages of a paperback. Still, there's something appealing about being able to carry a boatload of books in the backpack."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...-of-2006_x.htm
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
funny how carrying a boatload of books is exactly what you CANT do on the Reader.

!@#(*& sony

I mean i still like my Reader, but only because of the eInk screen and the attractive case/cover they put it in. Everything about the software is wrong on so many levels, but I'm learning to cope.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

OH! The Reader! I thought you meant that _you_, TadW, had almost made it into USAToday's "Coolest high-tech products."

Better luck next year.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
OH! The Reader! I thought you meant that _you_, TadW, had almost made it into USAToday's "Coolest high-tech products."
LOL! I wonder what type of high-tech product I would be
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
funny how carrying a boatload of books is exactly what you CANT do on the Reader.
You can't? Why not?

The "flat" file system may make it a little awkward to select a book when you have hundreds on the machine, but it certainly doesn't mean that you can't do it. Unless you're constantly switching between books I honestly don't see it as an issue - the only time I have to navigate the index is when I've finished one book, and I'm deciding when one to read next. Most of the time I just switch on the machine and there's my page.

Quote:
Everything about the software is wrong on so many levels
Come on, that's putting it a bit strongly, isn't it? The basic task - that of reading a book from cover to cover - the Reader does superbly well. It's the "auxiliary stuff" - file management, searching, etc - that has the shortcomings. If you just want to select a book, start at the beginning and read it through to the end, the Reader handles it just fine, to my mind at least.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-15-2006 at 05:09 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Unless you're constantly switching between books ....
That's what the "All Bookmarks" menu (accessible by holding down the Mark button for 5 seconds) is for.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Hmmm ... does the Reader support HTML natively? How about links? If it does, then a flat directory ... oops, that would still matter to me.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy!
Hmmm ... does the Reader support HTML natively?
Nope, but you can easily convert to other formats which are supported.

Quote:
How about links?
Links within documents? Yes, in PDF and BBeB format docs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote