Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #3451
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
“He remembered the words of Arsenius the Great: I have often regretted the things I have said, but I have never regretted my silence.”

― Evgenij Vodolazkin, Laurus
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #3452
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
'Tell me! Tell me! Why is it so difficult to write simply -- and not only simply but sotto voce, if you know what I mean? That is how I long to write. No fine effects -- no bravura. But just the plain truth, as only a liar can tell it.'

Katherine Mansfield, in 'A Married Man's Story'.

I apologise if this should have gone in the Writing quotes thread. I'm not a writer, and felt uncomfortable putting it there.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #3453
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
'Tell me! Tell me! Why is it so difficult to write simply -- and not only simply but sotto voce, if you know what I mean? That is how I long to write. No fine effects -- no bravura. But just the plain truth, as only a liar can tell it.'

Katherine Mansfield, in 'A Married Man's Story'.

I apologise if this should have gone in the Writing quotes thread. I'm not a writer, and felt uncomfortable putting it there.
Doesn't matter - I expect most of the writers read this thread too

And, I love the quote as a reader and a writer.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #3454
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Doesn't matter - I expect most of the writers read this thread too

And, I love the quote as a reader and a writer.
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #3455
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
“How do we know Stephanie’s not just watering a friend’s plants?”
“Oh, she’s watering his plants all right,” said Keane.
“Congratulations,” I said. “That’s the worst euphemism for intercourse I’ve ever heard.”
“No,” said Keane. “Intercourse is the worst euphemism for intercourse you’ve ever heard."
― Robert Kroese, The Big Sheep
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #3456
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Euphemistically speaking....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:48 PM   #3457
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"So, that husband of yours is going to be at the party –
Well, I hope he chokes; let him drop dead, who cares?
How am I going to act? – just stare at the girl I'm in love with,
Be just one more guest, let some one else feel your breast,
Let some one else put his arms around you whenever he wants to,
Sit at your side, rub knees, lean on your shoulder a bit?"

Ovid, The Art of Love
Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #3458
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"People surprise you, Frank, with just how fuckin stupid they are."
- Richard Ford, The Sportswriter
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #3459
covingtoncat73
Wizard

"The teachers told the children that this was when their continent was discovered by human beings. Actually, millions of human beings were already living full and imaginative lives on the continent in 1492. That was simply the year in which sea pirates began to cheat and rob and kill them.

Here was another piece of evil nonsense which children were taught: that the sea pirates eventually created a government which became a beacon of freedom to human beings everywhere else."

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #3460
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
"The teachers told the children that this was when their continent was discovered by human beings. Actually, millions of human beings were already living full and imaginative lives on the continent in 1492. That was simply the year in which sea pirates began to cheat and rob and kill them.

Here was another piece of evil nonsense which children were taught: that the sea pirates eventually created a government which became a beacon of freedom to human beings everywhere else."

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Old 02-17-2017, 02:43 AM   #3461
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
As people grow older they come at length to live so much in memory that they often think with a kind of pleasure of losing their dearest blessings. Nothing can be so perfect while we possess it as it will seem when remembered. The friend we love best may sometimes weary us by his presence or vex us by his infirmities. How sweet to think of him as he will be to us after we have outlived him ten or a dozen years! Then we can recall him in his best moments, bid him stay with us as long as we want his company, and send him away when we wish to be alone again.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes, "The Poet at the Breakfast Table", 1872
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:01 AM   #3462
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
He’s a genuine example of a once common and now vanishing species known as the working-class intellectual, a blue-collar champion who not only isn’t afraid of books, but who embraces them with the religious conviction of self-improvement.

~ Chuck Thompson, Better Off Without 'Em: A Northern Manifesto for Southern Secession.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #3463
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
On vegetarianism:

"What kind?"
"Uh . . . you know, strict."
"With occasional lapses into lacto and ovo, huh?"
"Yes. Except on weekends and nights when I'm stoned. Then I'm a steako-lacto-ovo . . . or maybe a porkchopo-lacto-ovo . . ."

― Armistead Maupin, Tales of the City
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #3464
AlexBell
Wizard

'Peterle's grandmother pinned on shawl and apron ... and went forth to char ... This setting out of a morning was her panacea, her method of surmounting the dullness of existence. She savoured the excitement of seeing below the surface of strange households; forgot herself and her home troubles in sipping at the overflow of other people's fates.'

Henry Handel Richardson, in 'Life and death of Peterle Lundy'
Old 02-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #3465
kennyc

"Compassion is the basis of morality."
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Goodreads Quote of the Day and Schopenhauer's birthday.
Influential German thinker Arthur Schopenhauer (born February 22, 1788) wrote The World as Will and Representation, a Buddhist-influenced text that impacted the work of Nietzsche, Jung, and Freud, as well as Einstein.